Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
hpv transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

hpv transmission

okay.. so it seems my husband of 5 yrs. has hpv (diagnosed today). He has a wart mid-shaft, and at the base of his penis.. I had no idea! I know I should have noticed - but I didn't - and I gave him oral sex last week (the warts were present at that point).  Had I known, I obviously would not have done that...
Anyhow - I have since scheduled an appointment to have myself tested.. my big concern however is whether or not I could have passed this onto our children orally!  Is the virus now in my mouth????  I ALWAYS share food, utensls and drink with my kids (I know we shouldn't.. but we do).  
What symptoms should I be looking for in myself (orally) and in them?
So freaked out right now - would love any help please!!!
Tags: HPV, hpv transmission, transmission, child, HPVtransmission
If your husband has hpv then chances are you already have it. In some cases it can lay dormant for years without any symptoms. Some people will never show symptoms at all. Most sexually active people have at least one strain. The type that cause genital warts are considered a low risk strain , which means it won't develop in to cervical cancer. As for transmitting it to your children orally? Very very unlikely, it is transferred during direct skin to skin contact during sexual activities . It is also rare for genital warts to appear in the mouth. Also the virus cannot be ping ponged back in forth between partners who share the same strain of hpv. You don't need to worry about transferring the virus to your children , it's a sexually transmitted infection.
I'm not an expert , however i have had hpv for over 2 years and have done extensive research on the subject, if any experts would like to correct me then feel free to do so.