Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
sex life of a couple with genital warts?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

So, I just found out that I got genital warts most likely from my current girlfriend as I got fully checked out just before we started dating. Thanks to this forum I have gotten much better informed about this condition and understand better how to deal with the situation and have decided to tell my girlfriend about this.

We have always used protection and she was always very cautious about sex since we started meeting each other, maybe overly so. When I think back now, this may be the reason why. I believe she had this problem before or was getting cured when we started dating and wanted to minimize the chance on passing it on to me but was afraid of telling. I only have like a few very small ones just above my shaft so in my case the condom didn't do the trick as it doesn't cover that rubbing area. I haven't told her this yet and we haven't had sex since I found out. I really don't mind if I got it from her, I understand it's actually impossible to know for sure, but I would feel worse about it if this is something that I got before I met her.

Anyways I went to see a doctor and he prescribed me this Aldara which I hope will cure this for me. I am a very healthy and fit 27 year old guy and this will just push me towards being even healthier. Time will tell if it works.

But my question is, if I got this from her and she is cured now, could I pass it on back to her again? A couple who is dealing with the same warts, do they need to worry about having sex with each other and making the condition worse by each other? Or could we keep on enjoying our sex life (with condom just in case) as before?
You can't pass the virus back and fourth like you can with an STD such as chlamydia. Once you have that strain, it will forever be in your body as it is a virus and there is no cure. After some time though, the virus lays sleeping and undetectable meaning you cannot pass the virus on and you won't have any symptoms. Since she has the same strain as you do, it will always be in her body and having sex with someone who has the same strain will not effect it in anyway. It will only be the case when a new strain is introduced from you being with someone outside of the relationship, then she may start to see symptoms of a different wart strain.
And you should wear a condom while you are in recovery mode. For some reason, clearance occurs quicker if you wear a condom. These things come in waves and so stay with the condom until you go at least 6 months without any warts. Maybe 12-24 months. After that period, it doesn't matter as it will be dormant. Good luck!
I recently found out I have positive low risk strains on my cervix, as well as high risk. Warts weren't found, but I saw that my pap smear was LSIL - two months after it was "normal". I have to go back for a copolscopy to see what is going on. I think I got this positive low risk after a guy assaulted me 6 months ago and stuck his penis in me for around 10 min. without any other sexual contact. I think if I get warts, the likelihood would be in places I can't see, like on my cervix or in the vaginal walls where initial friction or contact must've been at.
I have a question about having sex from now on. Since I'm infected, if I have sex with a condom, would I risk getting more warts to develop at different locations in the anogenital region due to friction? I don't plan on having sex until my partner finishes Guardasil, but I want to ask ahead of time. The guidelines says to wait 3-6 months after a breakout or treatment, but I can't even tell if I have a breakout since my infection in inside my body with no signs on the outside. I want to do what I can now to minimize any problems of warts growing in the future and am praying that this virus will go dormant in a year. Thanks in advance for answering my question.