Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
should I have the pap smear?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

should I have the pap smear?

I am a 22 years old virgin who has a  wart on her anus due to skin contact of the area with my boyfriend. my doctor  said that pap smear is not done for virgins. but I read on the internet that it is actually done! so... should I  go to another doctor? is it possible that I have cervical changes as  well? is a pap smear a must for me?
Many doctors will perform pap smears on patients over a certain age, regardless of their sexual history. This way they can recieve the test without revealing sexual activity, which some patients may be hesitent to share. If you want to have a pap, I am sure you can find a doctor willing to perform the test, especially with your HPV diagnosis.
thank you for your comments. I searched a little more about the pap test and found out that they are not doing it for virgins in my country.. so I guess if I have cervical changes as well, I will have to wait until it turns out to be an invasive cancer to have the pap smear. Im so worried.
I really think you should discuss this worry with your doctor, certainly something can be worked out. You already have a sexually transmitted disease, so your status of "virgin" is based on the definition of never having vaginal intercourse.

Honest discussion is usually the best approach, but who is to say that you haven't had sex?
I would guess that without penetration, the risk of cervical infection is very low.
the doctor asked me if I had sex (meant vaginal intecourse). I said no. she asked me if there was sexual contact. I said yes. Later she said I had a wart ( I already knew it from the research I had on the internet, that was why I went to the doctor). Later I told her that I worry about having other types of hpv as well which could lead to cervical changes. She said its a low chance but not impossible. eventually I asked her about the pap test. She said she cannot do it because I havent had vaginal intercourse.
It has been recommended to me that you get a pap smear at 21 years old, even if you are not sexually active.  Maybe see another doctor? best wishes.