Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
throat cancer from hpv

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

throat cancer from hpv

Hi, I am a 29 year old female married with 2 young children - I am writting in because I have been VERY worried about this hpv leading to throat cancer!  I read it in a magazine at work and came home and looked it up online and have been losing sleep over it ever since. I am so worried because I am a carrier of hpv 16 and so obv. so is my husband. About five years ago I had an abnormal pap smear and had a lasar surgery to gid rid of it. I have always "NOT ANYMORE" performed oral sex on my husband and hate to be blunt but "swallowed" hundrends of times.I do not know what to do I went to my ent and they seemed like they had no idea what I was talking about, and a dentist can not see down your throat where they say this cancer starts. Fortunatley I have never been a smoker. I need some advice I feel like this worry has taken over my life- and dont know how or where to get tested for throat cancer, and would I have it already or would it develope later in life. Thank you

Greetings.  I, and most people who have been on this site for a while can completely empathize with the crushing anxiety that can affect us as we learn we have HPV.  Feeling crazy with worry is par for the course for most of us.  The hopeful thing is that, as we read up on it more and our brains get over some of the initial trauma and rude awakenings, we can begin to be more objective of the virus and our own particular road to travel with it.  In your case, I just performed a simple search on this site and came up with these three links for you to read.  The first one is really all you need, but I included two other ones if you'd like to read other people's questions and the expert's responses to them.  If you still need more to read, simply go to the "Ask An Expert" forum, then "STDs" or STDs International" or both and search for HPV and throat cancer or oral cancer.  It's all pretty heartening all in all.  Please do not worry and go on with a happy and fulfilling life full of oral pleasure both giving and receiving.  Life is too short and too good to lose something as awesome as oral sex to a fear of cancer down the road, especially one that is not too likely to occur. Read on and see for yourself.  Good luck.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-and-oral-cancer-risk-in-male/show/1181303

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-Throat-cancer/show/467774

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-Throat-Cancer-Risk/show/599528

Thanks for the links - it did help.
God bless