Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
worried if genital warts spread to the face

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

i'm very concerned and i need a professional answer please. im a male with anal warts i have treated them recently and they are gone but when they were existing on my anus my boyfriend performed oral sex on my anus several times. i know genital warts could transmit to the mouth in rare cases but that has been months ago and my boyfriend didnt develop any oral lesions but recently there is a wart under his nose and another one inside his eyelid. i told him i might have infected him and he was very understanding and he will seek treatment. but m question is could these warts on his face be genital warts that have been transmitted from my anus or they are simply other type of hpv that he cold have got elsewhere? is it a common thing that genital warts develop on the face and eye.. and if they are genital warts on the face are they easily treated and what are he options. please i appreciate a medical answer to ease my worries..thanks
Hi, from what I know, the strain of warts that causes HPV is different from the strain that causes warts on face and body. So there is NO way for you to ever spread genital warts or oral warts to a person's face.

But it is possible if a person has oral wart and kisses someone else, to spread it. However, if you have genital warts and you kiss someone, you CANNOT transmit the virus that way. But if you give oral to someone who has genital warts, then you risk a chance of getting the virus too.

Hope this answers your question. Simply means that you cannot get genital warts on your face, it's "genital" warts for a reason. The only part of your face it will spread to is your lips / mouth. But that is if you give oral sex to someone who has genital warts, or if someone with oral warts kisses you, or if you touch your penis when you have genital warts and then you touch your lips / mouth.
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers