Huntington's Disease Community
Huntington's Disease

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Huntington's Disease

My husband is 25 adn I am 22... we both want to have out own children but are stuck right now as his mom has huntington's disease and he is not willing to be tested...We do not want to have children and pass this on to them..
I see different things online saying cures/treatments are very close to happening...will there be a cure in the next 15-20 years, by the time it would even react in my husband and our children?..If so would it be wrong to jut go ahead and have kids knowing they could have it but wouldn't suffer because of a cure?
  • growing (6 replies):
    Hey there all, I have the weird question. I was wonderin...[more]
Each child has a 50/50 chance of inheriting the HD gene from their parent.  The most direct way to put the issue to rest is for your husband to get a blood test for the gene (do not let the genetic councelors talk you out of it.)  If he's gene-negative, then neither your husband, nor any offspring, will ever inherit the gene.  If he is gene-positive, then you can (and should) consider IVF combined with Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD); the IVF will allow you to conceive and the PGD will allow the doctor to screen-out the HD embryos.  While it's not as fun or glamorous as the old fashion way, this does give you two very important benefits: (1) you get to have a baby that you're going to love regardless of how it was conceived, and (2) you get to stop the spread of the gene/disease for all your future decendents.  Technically speaking, that is the only REAL CURE for HD.  Either way, I hope your husband gets tested and, regardless of the outcome, registers at hdtrials.org