Huntington's Disease Community
Questions about HD

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Questions about HD

Hello, I have been researching HD because i wonder if this could be in my family. I have had cognitive issues for years to a small degree, shich have become severe over the past 2 yrs. also have eye twitching and tremor, which are not to bad. My family is very secrative about their health, but my sister told me she is developing tremor like symptoms which look like parkinsons, these are intermittent. My dad has them as well. He is also very spacy, tired all the time and is always very mean and negative. My other siblings have noticable cognitive probems. This is what is really concerning to me; my daughter has epilepsy, but doesn't have seizures anymore, and had 2 in her life, she is 11. She has a jerking problem with 1 of her legs that no DR has been able to figure out. It just twitches and jerks on its own and it bother's her. she is also very clumbsy. I have been looking for a reason for why at 49, i have such cognitive issues. I'm weiting this today and other days i would never be able to type at all. I can't hold conversations a lot and i can't think. My brain feels like it's dying. I'm afraid of alzhiemers which runs on my moters side, but i dont think people start having symptoms of that in their 20's. Do you guys think i should persue getting testing? My fear is that i might get so bad, and if i do have it, my daughter and other family would never know. I never discussed my thoughts about this with anyone. Please advice me.. thank you
Hi!

Well, since several members of your family have cognitive issues, spacy look, tremors, jerky movements etc, there maybe a genetic correlation. So Huntington's disease is a possibility. However, similar symptoms can also be due to autoimmune disorders. Therefore yes, it is important to investigate why these symptoms are occurring. Please discuss with your family doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.