Huntington's Disease Community
chance of carring Huntingtons Disease

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

chance of carring Huntingtons Disease

I am 29 years old. Since I was about 15 I have had these sometimes "uncontrollable" head twitches. I Also have very bad eye sight witch is getting progressivley worse. My Grandmother on my fathers side has died from Huntingtons Chorea and I just learned that my fathers sister is also suffering from the disease. My father is 53 and I don't believe he has shown any signs of the disease but he has not been tested. If my father does not carry the gene is there still a chance that I might?
Not sure if you ever got your answer but no. If your father does not have it, it ends there. There is no way you might have it.
Kayla70711 is correct. In the event that your father was tested negative you are not at risk. However, my mother is in her mid 50's and has not shown any signs that we know of but until she gets tested, I am still considered to be "at risk". Also, it's important to note the age of onset that it usually starts in your family. There is no way to tell exactly when it will show but it has been seen that if its passed from mother to daughter, the daughter tends to show signs the same age as the mother. But when passed from father to child, age of onset tends to get earlier. I dont know exactly why this is but if you check out www.hdsa.org you can get a lot of questions answered. There are lots of trials and information for at risk people or kids in HD families. I hope this helps a little. Although your dad may most likely be fine. its always good to have that discussion of getting tested to put it to rest. You may want to have kids one day and want to know for sure that it wont be passed on. I am in the same boat right now actually and even though my mom "seems" negative, I know it will be a lot better to see it on paper so that we never have to worry about it. Also, with regards to testing, its a serious decision and I highly recommend you think it through and refer to hdsa.org for information on proper testing protocol. No one realizes how much of an impact that test can have on you, negative or positive (that's another conversation in itself). If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. I am an HD advocate that comes from an HD family and would love to help out any way that I can.