Huntington's Disease Community
is he affected?

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

is he affected?

I have a friend who is 35yrs old.
12mths ago he woke up and was temporarily paralysed from the neck down. He was in this state for over an hour.
Since then there has been a number of times that he has found himself temporarily paralysed from the neck down/ waist down.
Further symptoms which were not very common 12 mths ago and are progressively getting worse, significantly in the last 6 months.
- Involuntary twitching of mouth muscles, he describes it as an electric feeling
- Sleeping up to 30 hours at a time
- Seizures; most recent one lasted up to 12 hours. He disappeared for some time and has no idea where he was or what he was doing
- He is making up stories and believing they are 100% true, including believing he is in a different town than he is in or was doing things the night before that never happened
- His speech becomes slurred
- The symptoms tend to come about late afternoon and become
- worse later in the day and night. Once he has slept, he is back to ‘normal’
- he is becoming aggressive, and offensive not realising what he is saying

He is on medications but I believe they could be more harmful than good. His doctors don’t know what it is. They haven’t diagnosed him with anything.

Hi Chiller85, Does HD run in your friends family? Although HD is different from person to person, there tends to be patterns of symptoms within a family tree. If no one in his family has experienced the same symptoms, then he could be suffering from something different. But first things first, I would find out if anyone in his family has and/or had it, and if so, he may want to consider being tested. It is difficult to treat something that doesn't have a name. Even though there is no real cure yet for HD, there is a lot of support and clinical trials that offer people with HD hope. If you would like to get more information on the disease you may go to www.hdsa.org which is a non for profit organization that works solely on HD related issues. If you have any questions specific to HD I would also like to help.
Hi Lucy519
Thank you for your reponse to my enquiry.
Unfortunately he has no contact with his family, so he is unable to find out is familys medical history.
He was admitted into hospital on Tuesday (12/6) night and has been there since, he is having tests conducted and they are keeping him under observation. I wont find out for a few days what the results will be or if there is any further indication as to what he has.
Understandably its very frightening for him and his loved ones.
I really appreciate your assistance with this and will keep you posted as to the results.
I'm sorry to hear he's still in the hospital but perhaps this is a good opportunity to bring up testing for HD if it's a concern of his. It is a simple blood test but it does need to be requested and there may be a specific protocol prior to being tested (counseling and what not). In any case, I am here for the two of you and please feel free to contact me with any questions regardless of whether it is related to HD or not. I look forward to hearing from you. Stay strong.