legal trouble
I am in need of some immediate help from others who have cerebellar ataxia. I am 45 y/o and have't been medically diagnosed. My father who is 80 y/o has at the VA in Memphis, TN.  I have been showing mild symptoms of the same thing over the past few year, due to my financial situation I haven't been able to afford the Dr. I have a 4 y/o medically fragile Down syndrome child  For the past 3 years he has been in and out of the hospital.  I am unable to work due to caring for him.
On May 17, he had his 3rd eye surgery in Mempis,TN. The hospital is over 2 hours from my home so I had to leave home about 4.  We arrived at the hospital before 7 and he had surgery at 10:15. He was discharged at 12:30 still under anesthesia. It is now about 1:00 we were in Southhaven, MS.  I was getting on the hwy to go home when I saw blue lights.  I pulled over and the officer told me that he thought I was impaired.  I have never drank nor have done any type of drugs.  He ask me to step out of the car and do the field sobriety test.  I told him that I couldn't pass it because I have an imbalance and coordination problem but I would be happy to take a breathalizer and drug test. I attempted and failed the field  test so was immediately placed in handcuffs and taken to jail. Remember my 4 y/o  medically fragile child who just underwent  surgery was with me.    
No questions were ask because I was told the more I talked the more impaired I  sounded.  I passed the breathalizer and drug test.  I was charged with DUI, recklace driving and felony child abuse. My 1st court date was continued because I had an appointment with a neurologist on the 20th.  Being from a small town in MS, the neurologist had no idea what I was talking abou.  Now she wants a 13,000 and with financial assistance$3,500 blood test.  My question to all of you is how else can I get diagnosed?   The new court date is July 26th.  Any advice would be appreciated.
I can't even begin to imagine how challenging this is for you. I do not know much about cerebellar ataxia but in doing some research it seems like that diagnosis is based on a list of symptoms that one exhibits. Interestingly enough it seems that the Rombergs Test (Test also used for drunk drivers) is another method of measuring your motor abilities. I dont know much about your area and what is available but I do recommend you get in touch with who ever your father got diagnosed by (if he ever was diagnosed). I know this is difficult but you may want to research medical assistance in other areas. Perhaps out of town neurology facilities will be better equipped to help you. I found this website that was helpful to me and you may want to print it out and bring it to your medical doctor/neurologist to look at:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Cerebellar-Ataxia.htm

You also may want to share your story on other forums in medhelp or perhaps as an expert. I hope this is somewhat helpful. If I find anymore information I will let you know. Good Luck.