Huntington's Disease Community
legal trouble

Huntington's disease is a progressive brain disorder that causes uncontrolled movements, emotional problems, and loss of thinking ability (cognition). The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Huntington's Disease patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Huntington's disease, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

legal trouble

I am in need of some immediate help from others who have cerebellar ataxia. I am 45 y/o and have't been medically diagnosed. My father who is 80 y/o has at the VA in Memphis, TN.  I have been showing mild symptoms of the same thing over the past few year, due to my financial situation I haven't been able to afford the Dr. I have a 4 y/o medically fragile Down syndrome child  For the past 3 years he has been in and out of the hospital.  I am unable to work due to caring for him.
On May 17, he had his 3rd eye surgery in Mempis,TN. The hospital is over 2 hours from my home so I had to leave home about 4.  We arrived at the hospital before 7 and he had surgery at 10:15. He was discharged at 12:30 still under anesthesia. It is now about 1:00 we were in Southhaven, MS.  I was getting on the hwy to go home when I saw blue lights.  I pulled over and the officer told me that he thought I was impaired.  I have never drank nor have done any type of drugs.  He ask me to step out of the car and do the field sobriety test.  I told him that I couldn't pass it because I have an imbalance and coordination problem but I would be happy to take a breathalizer and drug test. I attempted and failed the field  test so was immediately placed in handcuffs and taken to jail. Remember my 4 y/o  medically fragile child who just underwent  surgery was with me.    
No questions were ask because I was told the more I talked the more impaired I  sounded.  I passed the breathalizer and drug test.  I was charged with DUI, recklace driving and felony child abuse. My 1st court date was continued because I had an appointment with a neurologist on the 20th.  Being from a small town in MS, the neurologist had no idea what I was talking abou.  Now she wants a 13,000 and with financial assistance$3,500 blood test.  My question to all of you is how else can I get diagnosed?   The new court date is July 26th.  Any advice would be appreciated.
I can't even begin to imagine how challenging this is for you. I do not know much about cerebellar ataxia but in doing some research it seems like that diagnosis is based on a list of symptoms that one exhibits. Interestingly enough it seems that the Rombergs Test (Test also used for drunk drivers) is another method of measuring your motor abilities. I dont know much about your area and what is available but I do recommend you get in touch with who ever your father got diagnosed by (if he ever was diagnosed). I know this is difficult but you may want to research medical assistance in other areas. Perhaps out of town neurology facilities will be better equipped to help you. I found this website that was helpful to me and you may want to print it out and bring it to your medical doctor/neurologist to look at:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Cerebellar-Ataxia.htm

You also may want to share your story on other forums in medhelp or perhaps as an expert. I hope this is somewhat helpful. If I find anymore information I will let you know. Good Luck.