Hypothyroid - Hashimoto’s Expert Forum
Can switching to generic cause joint and muscle pain?

This is a safe place where you can post your hypothyroid (under-active thyroid) related questions. A board certified medical expert will post answers to your questions usually within 3-7 business days. This forum will focus on holistic as well as traditional treatment options for hypothyroid disorders.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 15 years ago (I'm 66), and have taken Synthroid all that time with no problem.  On my last visit to my endocrinologist, I asked about trying a generic, as it annoys me that Medicare doesn't cover the Synthroid.  He said we could try it but I had to come back in 6 months for him to check my levels.  So far I've been taking it about 6 weeks and have been having joint and muscle pain ever since I started.  If I take Advil every morning and don't sit still for too long I do okay.  Joint pain isn't unreasonable at my age, but I've never really had this sort of muscle pain -- in large muscles like my quads and obliques.  Could the change to the generic be causing this, or is it just coincidental that the problem started at the same time?  Should I give it more time to see if improves, call my doctor to schedule a visit sooner, or should just give up the whole thing and ask him for a prescription for Synthroid?
I can't tell you what to do (without establishing a doctor-patient relationship) but can say:

1. generic drugs "COULD" have different fillers, additives, and/or excipients, and you might be allergic to something in the generic levothyroxine you are using.

2. generic drugs are allowed to be off by 10% in either direction (a 21% potential swing), and in the past, levothyroxine products were so unstable that drug manufacturers often put an overage of 20-30% more than the stated content into their pills, "hoping" there would be the right amount in the pill when the patient consumed them (Dong **, Brown CH. Hypothyroidism resulting from generic levothyroxine failure. J Am Board Fam Pract. 1991 May-Jun;4(3):167-70. PMID: 2053456).

3. Some patients ask their physician's medical assistant to get a "one month prescription" of the brand-name Synthroid (same dose), and try that for a month instead of the generic levothyroxine they are using, and see if their muscle pain symptoms resolve.  It isn't an unreasonable thing to ask.  No one breaks into pharmacies to steal thyroid meds.  Your doctor doesn't have to worry that you are abusing your thyroid meds or selling it on the street.