Hypothyroid - Hashimoto’s Expert Forum
Hair loss from synthroid

This is a safe place where you can post your hypothyroid (under-active thyroid) related questions. A board certified medical expert will post answers to your questions usually within 3-7 business days. This forum will focus on holistic as well as traditional treatment options for hypothyroid disorders.

Hair loss from synthroid

I've been on synthroid for about a year loss and have a lot of hair loss. My doc says that my thyroid levels are too high and that when I bring them down it will stop. But could it be from the synthroid? I was previously on the levoxyl until it got recalled. Any suggestions on how to stop my hair loss and what it can be from? Thanks
Hair loss has many causes.  Over or under-medication is one, but their are others (deficient of minerals or vitamins, etc.). But, I know some patients that are very particular and they prefer one brand of medication (or even one specific brand of generic meds). If you don't like one brand, it is okay to be adamant about asking your doctor to switch to an alternative thyroid medication.
I forgot to mention that I'm 25 :)
I don't mind the brand, I just want my hair to stop falling out. Any suggestions? I've been on this stuff for at least a year and my hair has been falling out for the past 4 months I would say
There are doctors, including myself, that do consultations specifically just about "hair loss". Some dermatologists have a passion for hair, but in reality, their 'bread and butter' is diagnosing moles as possible or probable for skin cancer, and removing them with minimal scarring. Some hair transplant surgeons also will evaluate causes of hair loss, and offer non-surgical options in addition to hair transplant surgery, but of course, they make their money on surgery, and rarely, if ever, will do an extensive workup of vitamin deficiencies or hormone imbalances.  I've never seen them prescribe hormones (thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, etc.) either.  

At this point you need to find a functional medicine physician (such as myself) to do a work up. I see patients in Boca Raton, but Florida allows for telemedicine (phone, Skype, sending pics of scalp or lost hair via e-mail). I am reluctant to just say, "make an appointment", as that is flippant and disrespectful to you and this forum, but honestly, you need to establish a doctor-patient relationship to get patient-specific advice. I believe my profile has my contact information should that be the way you wish to proceed.  
My hair grows back as soon as it falls out. I have no hair loss on my scalp my doc said it's cause of my thyroid
I had the same problem I lost every hair on my head twice. Once when I was 23 and again at 30. It took at lot of adjusting my meds with my synthroid and putting me on the natural drug and cytomel. Tho we never figured out why I lost my hair we were able to stop it with the right meds 6 years later I have a full head of healthy hair.
Vitalpilat - you are describing "Chronic Telogen Effluvium". Doctors such as myself can do patient-specific consultations to address all causes (besides thyroid, wrong dose, wrong brand, etc., there are other hormone causes, vitamin/mineral deficiency causes, etc.). A thorough evaluation with a history being taken, a physical exam, and laboratory tests, is your next step. MedHelp is rather adamant that "Experts" on the forum not give patient-specific medical advice here (but will not prohibit, and actually encourage their experts to see patients in their offices instead).