Hypothyroid - Hashimoto’s Expert Forum
High TSH and Prolactin

This is a safe place where you can post your hypothyroid (under-active thyroid) related questions. A board certified medical expert will post answers to your questions usually within 3-7 business days. This forum will focus on holistic as well as traditional treatment options for hypothyroid disorders.

High TSH and Prolactin

hi.i m 30 and last month i was diagnosed with hypo when i went to a gynecologist.she took 5 blood tests and an ultrasound.Ultrasound was good and 3 normal blood test too(Hemoglobin,Random blood glucose,blood Group) but hormone tests were not. My TSH was 11.17 uIU/ml and prolactin 61.59 ng/ml.She prescribed Eltroxin 50mg once a day and Parlodel 2,5mg half twice a day for 3 months and told to come after 3 months for reblood tests.

Plz tell me how bad it is and is it the right dose for me? How much time will it take my hormones to be normal as i am trying to conceive too?Can i go for tests again at 6 weeks as i am worried whether the medicines are working and the dose is right?

As for my history i haven't many symptoms of hypo. My periods are always regular( 26 days cycle) and my weight is accurate. only i get cold easily and feel that my memory has gotten weak.
Without establishing a doctor-patient relationship, I can't give specific advice.  Parlodel (bromocriptine) lowers prolactin levels.  Eltroxin (levothyroxine) normalizes the TSH.  Having labs "inside the common range", makes everyone (you, the doctor, etc.) feel more comfortable that everything will go well (including your plans to have a baby).  Rechecking at 6 weeks is reasonable, and if your doctors aren't too swamped with patients, she/he would probably be willing to let you get your blood tests earlier than originally planned.  Alternatively, she might refer you to an endocrinologist who has more time (and interest) in hormone therapies.  OB/GYN's are more focused on well woman exams, delivering babies, dealing with problems relating to breasts, ovaries, the uterus, and the cervix.  
Thank you so much for such useful info and advice.you are right about OB/GYN.I will ask her to refer me to an Endo. Thanks again.
And i am planning to have tests done at 6 weeks.