Hypothyroid - Hashimoto’s Expert Forum
doing the right things?

This is a safe place where you can post your hypothyroid (under-active thyroid) related questions. A board certified medical expert will post answers to your questions usually within 3-7 business days. This forum will focus on holistic as well as traditional treatment options for hypothyroid disorders.

doing the right things?

I was diagnosed with Hashis last October.  Since then I have gone gluten free and grain free, Dairy and soy free.  I take 3 grains of armour a day.  2 in the am and 1 about 5 hours later.  I also take 4.5 LDN.  Plus I make and drink my own Kombucha and drink red beet smoothies with tumeric to get the inflamation (inflammation) down.  I also do one cup of bone broth soup a day.  No weight will come off what so ever.  The swelling under my eyes have gotten a little better.  I just recently stopped alcohol.  Thinking it was hindering my liver process.  And Yes I take selenium, zinc, vitamin d and B multi. milk thistle and liver cleansing tea.  I exercicse about 4-6 times a week.  

tpo
oct  630
feb  890
may 720

T4 is stable and T 3 and free T 3 is getting better.  TSH went from 7.15 to 5 now 2.54.  But my question is, is there anything else I should be doing?  I now some people on these blogs and forum would disagree with the LDN and many of the other things I am doing.  But I am trying everything and anything to lead a normal life.  I am feeling better and I think I lost a pound this week.

thanks

Thom
Thom,

Thanks for the questions!  The maximum daily dose of thyroid described in the medical literature is 12 grains per day. "Thyroid hormone resistance" causes patients to need more than the "usual dose" and quite often, "more than what your doctor is willing to prescribe.

There are other causes for "trouble losing fat weight" in addition to an under treated thyroid condition. Though you didn't provide a full diet diary, I will assume your "Paleo-type diet" is clean enough that there is minimal excess calories there. Lack of lean body mass (muscle) is another cause for a slow metabolism. Other causes include insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue, bad bacteria in your gut, food sensitivities, low testosterone, etc.  In addition to being more aggressive with thyroid treatment, you and your physician should look at those other causes.
Dr W

thanks for your response.Yes I am on a Paleo diet.  I recently elimnated Wine from my diet and I really think thats the key.  I believe my problem is T4 T3 conversion.  My numbers are going in the right direction, so knowing that the T3 T4 conversion is out of Liver I believe alcohol is just slowing it down.

I will talk to my doctor about dosage.

Thom
Glad to see you are on the right track!
Also I am going to get the MTHFR tested.  I am doing all the right things but staying at 218lbs!   Very frustrating!

Have you and your doctor looked into the other issues that Dr Woliner mentioned above?  I've had a lot of trouble with weight, as well, and we finally pinned it down to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.  
Barb

with the exception of food sensitivites my doctor has tested for everything.  I have the AIP handbook and I will try going off eggs for 2 weeks.

T