Hysterectomy Expert Forum
37, Total Robotic Laproscopic Hysterectomy

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

I'm 37 and done having children.  I suddenly began bleeding heavily.  This went on for 6-8 months, bleeding for 2-3 weeks straight, leading up to going through tampons every 15 minutes.  Sex and going to the bathroom was painful, finally I was diagnosed with a sub mucosal uterine fibroid (2.6x2.6x1.6). Located right near the cervix, too difficult access with a D&C so recommendation was a total hysterectomy.  Trained with the Da Vinci Robotic technology and due to my petite size (5'3"), doc said he could do the surgery via 3 smaller 5mm laparoscopic incisions, one on each side of my lower abdomen and one thru my belly button.  He would remove my uterus and cervix, leaving both my ovaries. I had the surgery in mid-May at 2 PM.  Was up and walking by 3 AM, home the next morning by 10 AM.  I was really sore for 1-2 days, mostly due to getting the bodily functions back in order like going to the bathroom .  Stairs and walking was initially difficult but got better after about 1-2 weeks.  Definitely need to stay off your feet.  I returned to work at 2 weeks post op.  I had a few random, lower abdominal pains/cramps up until about week 8.  I also had light-medium brownish spotting, which stopped around week 10.  Both of which I was told were normal.  Careful sex began at 8 weeks and now at 12 weeks is completely back to normal and in fact, better than ever.  Doc said the recovery would be quick, back up on my feet within 2 weeks - he was right.  He said my sex life wouldn't change and if anything would get better - he was right.  He said the word "hysterectomy" scares women to death and I'll admit I was very nervous about it.  I can't emphasize enough how much better I am today.  My doc was fantastic, no more periods, cramps, abdominal pain or constipation and my sex life is better than ever.  Normal menopause will still set in when my body is ready.  When I asked him what the downside to this surgery was, he said there was none, and I'd have to agree.  
Greetings Cheryl02,

What an awesome testimony! I am very excited to hear you are doing so well. There is life after hysterectomy  :  )

Regards,

Erich T. Wyckoff, MD, FACOG