Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Can hormonal weight gain be lost?
About This Forum:

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can hormonal weight gain be lost?

I'm 44. Ten months ago I had a full abdominal hysterectomy. I also have Graves. My Endochronologist told me that because it returned after a two year remission I should expect that my matabilism will slow down and I would gain weight. Right after the surgery I changed to a healthier, lighter diet (although I already ate healthier than most people I know). A Cancer diagnosis gave me the xtra push to stay healthy. I've been walking 2-3 miles a day since I was cleared after surgery. I have gained 25lbs. The Endo says it's the combination of the Graves and my hormonal changes. My OB and PCP have been of no help and haven't and never even commented on my weight. I went from a sz 14 to an 18! Is it possible to loose this weight with my issues? With diet and exercise not working, I feel I could stop eating and die of starvation without loosing weight!
1616302_tn?1388163528
Hello LAF5,
Graves disease often leads to hypothyroidissm which can lead to weight gain.  Hysterectomy even with removal of the ovaries is not correlated with excessive weight gain. I recommend that you f/u with your endocrinologist concerning your thyroid and consider enrolling in an official weight loss program if warranted.
Best wishes,
2 Comments
Blank
hi - I have no thryoid at all.  Complete removal.  I have fibroids and had a UAE rather than hysterecotomy.  I also have sleep apnea and acid reflux.  I could not lose weight either...until I tried the 100 calorie soups.  Campbells and Progresso have them.  Subsistute one meal and make your other 2 meals healthy.  See if that works! it worked for me! :)
Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979