Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Cystectomy or Hysterectomy?

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Cystectomy or Hysterectomy?

Hello, I am 43 years old and premenopausal.  It was discovered 6 months ago that I have a 5cm cyst on my left ovary.  At first my Gyn just wanted to watch it, so I did ultrasounds every 4 weeks times 3.  The first one showed that it got smaller the second one showed no change and the third one showed it grew to 5.6 cm. with septation.  I have had 2 draws of CA-125 and both were negative.  Well, when the results came out for the third ultrasound, and it showed the septation, my doctor said that we should do something.  He first suggested a simple removal of the cyst and ovary intact but then when I remined him that I only have the one ovary, right one was removed when I was in my twenties due to another cyst, he suggested a full hysterectomy.  He stated that he was going to open me up anyway because he wants to make sure that he gets the cyst out without it rupturing so the recovery would be the same and this way I would avoid the risk of developing Uterine cancer later in life.  I have had a few paps that have come back in the past as abnormal but the last two were normal and there is no Uterine cancer in my family.  He has said that it is up to me, that I can choose to do the full hysterectomy or only have a cystectomy or I could have the ovary removed with the cyst but if I have either the full hysterectomy or the ovary removed with the cyst then I go into early menopause and start taking hormone replacements and I am not sure if I want to deal with that yet.  I am really confused and not sure what I should do.  I am going for a second opinion but I just thought maybe I could get some advise from people who have already been through this.  Thanks
Greetings,
I recommend that you ask your gynecologist how does he or she fill about performing a cystectomy (removal of cyst while sparing the ovary) and sending it to the pathologist intra-op for frozen section. If the specimen is benign no further surgery is required. If the specimen is concerning for malignancy additional surgery will most likely be required.  I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

<Amazon:godsphysician
I, too have a left ovarian cyst that we have been watching since August with repeated ultrasounds. It has septations and I am going to get it removed this Thurs.  My gyn said he will most likely remove the ovary too. I had my uterus removed last year. He recommended I keep my right ovary (it has formed cysts too but never problematic ones) for the hormone benefits. Did you doctor say you could keep your remaining ovary?  I had my uterus removed due to periods every 2 weeks and several fibroid tumors.  I don't think I would get it removed if there were no issues with it and no uterine (or any gyn) cancers in your family. (Unless of course you just want to be done with your periods! :o) )