Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Emotions after total hysterectomy

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Emotions after total hysterectomy

Is it normal to feel just "blah" after lapar0scopic total hysterectomy?  I have history of depression, and several negative circumstances going on currently anyway, however, not sure if this feeling of "just existing" is exacerbated by the surgery.
Hello Kell5959,
Any emotional and/or physical stresses to the body can exacerbate depression. Having a hysterectomy is a major surgery and therfore stress the body and warrants healing. If your ovaries were removed and you were premenopausal you coud now be suffering from menopausal symptoms. In you question you did not specify. Most women in my clinic report improved function and quality of life after having an indicated hysterectomy. Allow your self time to heal and be sure to follow-up with your docotor concerning depression.
Thank you,

Erich T. Wyckoff, MD, FACOG