Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Having a hysterectomy and ovaries removed next week

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

I'm so nervous out the unknown.  I'm scared to be put under, the surgeon is doing a hysterectomy due to endo cysts on both ovaries, endometriosis, 5 small fibroids on my uterus, my uterus is enlarged, and so are my ovaries.  I'm having the surgery done with a laproscopy with a small incision in my belly button and two small incisions and I'm keeping my cervix.  I'm still having periods and I'm so afraid of instant menopause.  I'm in school going into the medial field soon and I know so much which is causing me to be so scared...please help me through what I am feeling.  I know I can go on HRT but, have read it increases the risk of heart disease  which runs on both sides of our family and it increases the risk of breast cancer.  

Thanks for your time Kim from Michigan
Hello Kim,
It is normal to be anxious about such a life changing surgery. It sounds as though you have opted for definitive surgical management which includes removal of both ovaries. HRT (hormone replacement therapy) is not mandatory but often suggested in a young patient. Research shows that if a women is going to opt for HRT it is best to do so within 5 years of becoming menopausal to lessen the risk of adverse outcomes.

Best wishes,