Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Having a hysterectomy and ovaries removed next week
About This Forum:

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Having a hysterectomy and ovaries removed next week

I'm so nervous out the unknown.  I'm scared to be put under, the surgeon is doing a hysterectomy due to endo cysts on both ovaries, endometriosis, 5 small fibroids on my uterus, my uterus is enlarged, and so are my ovaries.  I'm having the surgery done with a laproscopy with a small incision in my belly button and two small incisions and I'm keeping my cervix.  I'm still having periods and I'm so afraid of instant menopause.  I'm in school going into the medial field soon and I know so much which is causing me to be so scared...please help me through what I am feeling.  I know I can go on HRT but, have read it increases the risk of heart disease  which runs on both sides of our family and it increases the risk of breast cancer.  

Thanks for your time Kim from Michigan
1616302_tn?1388163528
Hello Kim,
It is normal to be anxious about such a life changing surgery. It sounds as though you have opted for definitive surgical management which includes removal of both ovaries. HRT (hormone replacement therapy) is not mandatory but often suggested in a young patient. Research shows that if a women is going to opt for HRT it is best to do so within 5 years of becoming menopausal to lessen the risk of adverse outcomes.

Best wishes,

Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity