Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Hysterectomy for PCOS?

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Hysterectomy for PCOS?

Does a hysterectomy solve the many dilemas such as weight gain,facial hair ect caused by PCOS ? & I have recently found out I have a large complex haemorrahgic cyst with multiple septations again what exactly are these & problems associated with it please, & could low cortisol be causing these problems?
Greetings SFX,
Hysterectomy is not standard treatment for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a disorder that stems from the ovaries. Removing your uterus will not cure PCOS. First line treatment for PCOS often includes combined hormone therapy a.k.a "birth control pills" , weight loss, evaluation for endocrine disorders such as diabetes and in the event of hirsutism (male hair pattern) spironolactone. Removal of the ovaries in the reproductive age women is associated. with it own morbidities and is therefore not commonly performed. How ever it is well documented that wedge resection of the ovaries and/or laser drilling of the ovaries is beneficial. The hemorrhagic cyst may be unrelated to your PCOS. Thank you ,

Erich T. Wyckoff, MD, FACOG
I don't know about the low cortisol, but after my hysterectomy I had facial hair, weight gain in the abdomen and thighs and my breasts shrunk. Don't know why yet. Go to www.***********.com  Lorna V. has the best information I've come across yet. If she is doing a seminar in your area, go to it...she's quite knowledgeable as she has gone through more hormonal troubles than most.