Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Life after hysterectomy... HRT or Alternative meds?

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

I'm 44 yrs old and had a complete robotic hysterectomy 11 months ago.  I was having pretty severe pain in my very lower right abdomen. Dr's did an ultrasound which determined I had cysts on my ovary (the only ovary that was left due to my other ovary being removed about 15 years ago for same reason) that had recently burst. Dr. encouraged me to have the entire hysterectomy done and when I asked about menopause he simply said, "take a pill once a day and don't worry about it". So now I'm on Premarin .625 mg. The pain in the lower right abdomen returned as severe as before but I'm afraid to go back to doctor, as he seems so "flip" about this.  I believe it MAY be due to constipation since I have do tend to have problems with this?? Since my hysterectomy, I have gained about 12 lbs. and have absolutely no libido & I'm wondering if the Premarin is the underlying cause of this.  Are there alternative medications that might be helpful to me? I'm currently trying to lower my dosage on my own and feel that I'm already beginning to experience hot flashes. There's just so much information out there and it's quite overwhelming. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Greetings Hochy1,
HRT has been shown to increase libido. Being that you are on estrogen only HRT your risk are less than those on combination HRT.  Keep a diary of your pain as it relates to constipation, physical activity and intercourse. Hopefully you will gain some useful information by doing this that you can in return share with your gynecologist . One of the biggest risk factors for decreased libido is inadequately treated depression.
Best wishes,