Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Menopause 8 years after hysterectomy???

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Menopause 8 years after hysterectomy???

8 years ago I had a complete hysterectomy.  I was on premarin for about 2 weeks and I quit taking it because it made me feel sick.  Never went through any menopause symptoms.  Now I'm 45 and having hot flashes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, emotional.......is it possible that I'm going through menopause now after 8 years?  Any one ever hear of this or know what might be happening?
Hello Kaybee1167,
it is quite possible that your complete hysterectomy did not include removal of both ovaries. The medical term for removal of both ovaries is bilateral salpingoophorectomy. If you do have ovaries present the average age of perimenopause is 47.5 and menopause is 51. So the short answer to your question is that it is possible.
Both overies were removed.  So you think this is menopause?
I had a complete hysterectomy 6 years ago because my ovaries we bad. I started the hot flashes the second I woke up from anesthetic. I still have the quite frequently and I was wondering if any one knows when they will stop they are really starting to bug me.
Hello sir,
   I received a full hysterectomy in 2004 and I have been in menopause every since. I have tried every over-the-counter remedy known. I also tried a very low dose of hormones and got sick with them. I am really trying to figure out a way for the " hot flashes", mood swings, and weight gain to taper off. I am 41and I am experiencing excessive facial hair, as well as body hair. This has been the worst experience for me. Do you have any suggestions for me?
        Thanks,
          A woman in crisis