Hysterectomy Expert Forum
Post-Hysterectomy emotions

This forum is a place to post your questions about HYSTERECTOMY including causes, complications, treatment, surgery, advanced treatments and tests.

Post-Hysterectomy emotions

I had a total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy using the Da Vinci Monday of this week. I have been doing really well (emotionally and physically) since the procedure and started taking Estrogen Tuesday upon returning home from the hospital. I previously took the same Estrogen dosage I am currently taking in April of this year to be sure my body could handle the medicine. I am 33 years old and have had 2 children (ages 10 and 4). Today I have been struggling with my emotions and have not been able to sleep since I woke up at 7:00 a.m. I know this must be "normal", but I just want to be sure. Is it common to feel weepy after this type of surgery? I want to be clear that I am happy I made the choice to have this surgery and it was medically necessary I do so. I do not have any regrets.

Thank you for your help!
Hello S_Chappy,

I applaud you attitude, One of the first steps in complete healing in being satisfied with your treatment plan. I question you sleep schedule? Now that you are on hormone replacement therapy it could take you body sometime to adjust to the new hormone levels. If you are still having concerns six months after surgery consider seeking professional help from you primary care provider.

Best wishes,

Erich T. Wyckoff, MD, FACOG
Well, since the surgery I have pretty much just slept when my body has "told" me to. I slept through the night Tuesday and didn't require much sleep during the day Wednesday, but I did rest in bed most of the day. Wednesday night I again slept through the night but was up and around most of the day today and didn't eat until after 8:00 p.m. this evening. I literally had to force myself to eat because I had no appetite. At this point (11:37 p.m.), I feel exhausted but still haven't been able to sleep since I awoke at 7:00 a.m. this morning. This is day 3 of taking Estrogen and I haven't had any other complications since the surgery Monday.

I really do appreciate your help. This is all new to me and I want to utilize all the resources I can. I am also fortunate to have a wonderful doctor, and I'm sure if these "issues" I am having continue I will contact him for further assistance.