Total Hysterectomy, Age and Menopause
Hello Ladies, I had a total keyhole/vaginal hysterectomy 10 days ago. I am recovering really well and have absolutely no symptoms of menopause, I'm 41. I am very grateful not to be having and symptoms but was wondering if it takes time for the symptoms to start happening after a surgically induced menopause and if so approximately how long?

I am currently not taking any HRT and feel great without it. My doctor is sending me for a bone density scan to see what shape they are in and if they are good I don't want to take HRT because in the past I have been very sensitive to hormone therapy. Plus the fact I suffer from Endometriosis and taking HRT will encourage it to grow again. Am I risking my health greatly by not taking HRT? I get the impression my doctor wants me to take it for 5 years but I'm feeling great the way I am and don't want to 'Rock the Boat' so to speak! Any advice or experience with HRT would be greatly appreciated, thank you :-)
Hello Twosandbits

I would not start HRT If nor warranted. Having your ovaries removed puts you at increased risk for Cardiovascular disease and osteoperosis hence the bone scan. First line therapy for osteoperosis/osteopenia is bisphoshantes calcium and vitamin D, not HRT. You do have options. HRT therapy is fairly low risk for re-exacerbation of endometriosis if you should decide to use it.

Best wishes,