Hysterectomy Community
Alternatives to Premarin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Alternatives to Premarin

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis 8 years ago and had a complete laprascopic hysterectomy. My ob/gyn tried the patch after my surgery, but I thought I had a hot flash, so he put me on Premarin 1.25mg.  Over the next couple of years, I tried to discuss alternative medicines with him because I really don't like taking medication, but he let me know that it was his way or nothing. Eventually I stopped seeing him. I also have spoken with my family doctor about alternatives but he too recommended that I stay on the Premarin.

At this point, I'm not sure the Premarin is working and my family doctor has suggested that I take a saliva test to see if it is. I am not suffering hot flashes, night sweats or vaginal dryness, but I have noticed that I am not able to control my emotions very well.  This may be due more to external emotional circumstances in my life, so I'm not totally ready to pin it on the Premarin not working.  Over the last year, I have run out of Premarin twice and been unable to refill the prescription each time for about a week.  I definitely noticed a change in my emotions, although I didn't experience any other side effects.  I felt like my body temp ran a little warmer (which was nice since I'm always cold), but I didn't experience hot flashes.

Today, I went to refill my prescription and it cost me $65.  That's twice as much as about 4 years ago.  I can't afford this prescription as it is and I certainly can't afford it if the cost keeps rising (which seems totally probable). So I finally decided to start looking into alternatives.  I don't currently have an ob/gyn because I live in a small city where there isn't a lot of choice.  I do not want to go back to the practice that I was originally with.  I know I'm going to need to discuss any decisions with an ob/gyn before I do anything, but I need to start gathering information.

Specifically, I would like to hear from anyone who is in a similar situation and is successfully using alternative therapies.  I'm open to other medications, but would really like to hear about natural alternatives.  I don't even like to take aspirin if I don't have to, so I have really been upset about taking Premarin from day one.  Don't know if it matters, but I am about to turn 46. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Some women do well taking no hormones. I would find a Dr that will listen to you. This is only my opinion but I would not take premarin. You can always try doing without hormones and if you do find that you can't, you might want to check in to bio-identical hormones.   Remar