Hysterectomy Community
Back pain post-op?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Back pain post-op?

I thought I was ding so well with my recovery until this morning :-( GRRRRR!  Yesterday morning I woke up with a bad lower back pain and I thought I must of slept funny, so I blew off the pain and put some ice on my back and took some Ibuprofen & the pain went away after about 1 hour.  I woke up this morning to more excruciating low back pain with muscle spasms.  Now I am thinking HMMMM? why is this happening to me?  I did some research about post-op low back pain and found out it happens a lot b/c of the way the dr's position you on the op table when doing hysterectomies.  Has anyone else on this forum experienced this too!  Yikes, it *****...  

I am going to call my chiropractor friend and see what he suggests.  This is dreadful and a horrible way to start the day.  

On a positive note my bowels are moving great and I did not have any constipation.  Thanks to all of you who gave me great advice regarding pre-hydrating b4 surgery and eating vegtables & fruits b/c it really helped keep things moving.  I also was very cautious about not letting them over medicate me and I always first took the Ibufroen option first in the hospital when they offered pain meds.  If that did not work I would take the heavy hitting drugs, but I always tried the lighter stuff first an and I think that really helped too not bind me up.  I remember when I had my 1st C-section over 22 yrs ago I got very constipated and I NEVER want to have that happen again post-op :-)

Hi Lynee,

Id have to say that approximatley 1/2 of women experience post op back pain. I did actually did not start until 4 weeks post op , or I did not notice because I took vicocin.

Yes positioning on the or table is one factor, another is that everything in our anatomy is connected, now you just had an entire system removed, and we have no way of knowing because of your particular condition what muscles tendons etc are effected, its all part of the healing process.

You can use ice packs or ask hubby for a gentle massage, I would recommed no heat from a heating pad, but at this point you may stand in a very hot shower and let it hit your back....of corse still take it easy on the front side.

Please call you ob gyn and ask about chiropractor,,just incase, It may be just a week or two too early.

Glad your not bound up and I agree having been through it, its horrible thats why I always advice as to avoid it.
I respect and understand your not wanting to take the heavy meds, but if your really hurting back pain included take a nice hot shower, take pills according to directions, witha full glass of water, and maybe one colace too be safe..I hate to hear of anyone hurting post op....no need for it,

feel better soon, Cherie
How is your back,,any improvement?