Hysterectomy Community
Chronic Pain after Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Chronic Pain after Hysterectomy

I had a partial hysterectomy in 2001 (ovaries intact).  Kept having pain in right groin/pelvic area.  In 2002, my right ovary was removed to supposedly to alleviate the problem, it didn't.  I have been living with this chronic pain ever since.  Is this somewhat common when a woman has a hysterectomy?  Or was there not enough pain management given after surgery?
Him this seems to be a issue I get asked about quite abit, but remember people dont write who have the easy hysters ( well some do actually to offer others hope as to how it should go )
Id be certain it has nothing to do with lack of pain management post op, It may have to do with too much activity post op,,,or more likely it involves one of these three, scar tissue, addhesions or endometrial tissue, all of which can be helped, also do know that your appendix is in exactly that area, there are problems people can have with appendix beside appendisitis (appendicitis), in any case this calls for a check up by your gyno followed by a new  gyno for a second opinion,  the very best most accurate way to diagnosis this would be a diagnostic laproscopic surgery, second best a MRI dont settle for a ultrasound,,,not too acccurate at all, I had several when I still had my ovaries sometimes they could find the ovary sometimes not,.
one other possibility comes to mind if the sciatic nerve was nicked accidently this may be the cause of your pain, the way to determine if that happened would be to see a neurologist,
Dear chuwwy63,

I have suffered groin pain for the past two years after having a hysterectomy.  After seeing several doctors including a neurolgist who said they don't know.  I have been doing research on the internet and found this website with the answer. I'm not sure at this point if I would take the chance of another operation but it does explain the reason for our pain.  Go on the web to - www.NCBI.nlm.nih.gov   and good luck
It has been two years after my hysterectomy and I still have severe groin pain.  I have done some  research and have found there are hospitals that have researched this problem and determined the pain is a nerve problem that they refer to as "Algorithm for treatment of postoperative incisional groin pain after cesarean delivery or hysterectomy"  I suggest that you research this  and good luck

Rosebud