Hysterectomy Community
Emotional post radical hysterectomy-help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

I had a radical hyst approx. 3 months ago. I'm 47 and was starting to have hot flashes. I was told it was ovarian ca, it wasn't, but woke up without my parts anyway. Now, trying to deal with it all..Didn't start hormones but 6 weeks later I went CRAZY! I was so unlike myself-hateful to people, crying all the time, unable to sleep, suicidal, etc.. Started estrogen, some help, increased dose, still not right. The Dr. didn't really discuss much with me.  I know I shouldn't take estrogen but it was the only option given to me by the Dr. My sister had BRACA (breast ca) when she was 47 and I also smoke. I felt I had two choices- die from a stroke or suicide because I couldn't function otherwise. I am still not functioning well emotionally though, and felt it would be better by now. I already take antidepressants (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin) in significant doses so another is not an option. I think I'm going to go get my hormones tested, IF my Dr will do that. This makes me so angry, that I've been going through this and feel so alone over it. I'm glad I found this site! All of you have really given me some insite and education. Can you tell me what the difference is between saliva and blood testing of hormones and if one is more accurate than the other? Someone mentioned that progesterone can be bought over the counter, I'm going to get some! I am so tired of the mood swings, crying and not knowing why, feeling like a zombie, not sleeping, and everything that has been happening since my surgery. My best advice I could give anybody, is this.....Don't trust ANY Dr, with your physical and emotional wellbeing!!! Educate yourself first. And, my Dr that did the surgery was a Woman too. (Though, younger than I). Again, thanks for all the info on here,