Hysterectomy Community
Endometrial Thickness 10mm
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Endometrial Thickness 10mm

I am 55 years old and have been on combined hormone therapy for 4 years.  I have had a period ever month since I began this is a cyclic regimen.  I am on Climara patch 0.1, and Compounded Progesterone cream 1 ML or CC.  I though I was shedding the lining since I have had a heavy, seven day period since I began this treatment.

I also have a fibriod tumor (which I have had for years) and it has increased in size 3 times.  The size is 2.5 cm.  
I have read in some of your other blogs that some women have had endometrial thickness of up to 16mm with "no" cancer or hyperplasa present.  Their doctor prescribed Provera after the negative biopsy to shed the lining.

I had a D&C in Sept 08, due to heavy, long periods and clots and it was "negative."  Four months later, I have started spotting before my period and after my period.  I made an appointment with my doctor.  He did a vaginal ultrasound and my thickness is 10 mm.  He didn't do an ultrasound before he did the D & C, four months ago so I don't know the thickness then to compare to now.  My previous vaginal ultrasound was in 2007 and it was 4 mm.

Now, that I have given you my history, my questions are as follows:  I know 5mm is considered normal, but is there a number that definetly means one has cancer?  Does a 10 mm thickness ALWAYS mean cancer or hyperplasa?  I have read hormones increase the size of a fibriod tumor.  Is this true?  Could the tumor prevent my lining from shedding completely?   Since my D&C was normal four months ago, could endometrial cancer develop that quickly?  If I am bleeding every month why isn't the lining being shed and I have such a enormous thickness?