Hysterectomy Community
Fibroids, Discharge, Frequent Periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Fibroids, Discharge, Frequent Periods

Hello. I am worried and need some help. I have had uterine fibroids for 10 years and increasingly heavy bleeding. I also had an ebolization in 2004 and it did not do anything to reduce the fibroids, though one year later they had not increased in size. This year I am having amazingly heavy periods, as well as a brownish discharge that starts right before my period begins, and this time I am noticing that I am having the discharge During the period as well. It is watery and brownish, even a little yellowish, and is definitely different than the blood. I also have had a couple of occasions where I have had 2 periods in one month (meaning the periods started 2 weeks apart). I am 54, almost 55 and have not yet entered menopause that I know of. I would like to know if it is possible that fibroids can cause this discharge? Are the frequent periods possibly due to the onset of menopause? I do not always have periods this close together, just occasionally. I have an ultrasound and gyn appointment, but it isn't until May 1 and I am worried. Thank you for any help you can offer.
The fibroids could be contributing to the discharge,,,,you will find out all for sure, if the ultrasoind doesnt tell the tale, dont be suprized if they suggest a hysterscopy,,,I would guess and highly lean toward that you are menopausal,,some women dont experience noticable perimenopausal symptoms...this can cause irregualr bleeding...strange patterns are actually normal for menopause,,,I am more concerned about the discharge than the irrregular bleeding of corse it could be all connnected or you may have two seperate issues,,fibroid problems and entering menopause....does the discharge have any noticable foul odor?
I know its hard to wait, but it seems your doctor is doing proper diagnostic steps for you. I am very honest if I think a members doctor is not giving them proper care I dont hesitate to tell them...As with all conditions,,it is often wise to get two opinions.
Hi Cherie. Thank you so much for responding. Yes, there seems to be a definite odor, which concerns me. Why is odor more concerning?

My periods have been more odorous for a long time, I mentioned this to my (previous) doctor and she didn't seem concerned, just seemed to think it was the fibroids.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that the discharge is only while I am  having a period?

Terry
Yes it does seem odd, I have noticed most women who speak of discharge like you described almost always report a foul smell..Its only reasonable to assume that if you had an infection for the amount of time that this dicharge has been happening that you would be ill,like fever etc,,, there are some video clips to the right of this post indluding abnormal uterine bleeding that you may find interesting.

Doctors seem to lack concern for two reasons. 1. they emotionally detach from patients for their own emotional health. 2. to them with all they know , it may be un concering, when they may for example have 3 patients that day with a stage 4 cancer,,its always concerning to the patient, and some doctors fail to remember that,
Do you think I should worry about cancer? Is this type of discharge during your periods indicative of that?

I am wondering, is any type of different odor from a usual period common when you have fibroids?

If you have uterine cancer, do you get discharge or bleeding between periods?
no I do not think you need worry of cancer !!!  I am aware of foul odor being associated with a bacterial infection,

If you have a fever over or at 101. or if your pain is a 7 or above on the pain scale,call your doctor again,,if they can not fit you in on that day i would go to an urgent care clinic...a high fever with pain like you have is shouting "infection"  May 1 is too long to wait,,,I hate when Drs do that,,perhaps you could phone thme and ask for a call when they get a cancelation, that usually works.