Hysterectomy Community
Gall bladder problems after LAVH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Gall bladder problems after LAVH

I'm wondering how many of you have had gall bladder problems/surgery after having your hysterectomy.

I had my LAVH 3 weeks ago.  2 days after my surgery I started having pain in my back, in the muscles in between my rib cage. It's progressed to radiating around my abdomen.  The pain is so ungodly that I went to the er last night.

A ct scan showed sludge and/or stones in my gall bladder. My primary doc has me scheduled for an ultrasound on Friday to confirm this.  She said more than likely I will have to have it removed.

Are you freaking kidding me?! I just had a hysterectomy, now I need another surgery for something else?!  **sighs** Anyway, prior to my hysterectomy I didn't have these problems. Nor is there a family history of it.

So, again, I ask if there's anyone out there that might have had a similar problem?  Thanks for any responses.

Laura
I know with my gall bladder problems they came on suddenly. Some people can have problems for years and know they're having gall bladder problems but other people can have on attack, like I did, and end up having to have surgery. So, this may have been going on for awhile with you and you just did'nt have any symptoms. I did have a complete hysterectomy 26 years ago. I had my gall bladder surgery about 5 years ago. Maybe this was just an awful fluke with you. Will your Dr be waiting 6 weeks post op from your hysterectomy before removing your gall bladder?
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that if you do have the surgery it's a pretty easy one. You may be able to go in the morning and come home that afternoon or evening.
I went to the ER Tuesday night.  They did an abdominal ct scan. I didn't find out until I was already home on Wednesday that it showed sludge and/ or gallstones. My primary ordered an ultrasound for yesterday. It came back normal.  Now I have to wait until Monday to see her.

Idk what I'm suppose to do. The pain is awful, to say the least, and meds aren't working. How am I suppose to survive this weekend?

Laura
Your ultrasound came back normal? That's strange if the ct scan showed something. I know, the pain is so awful. Are you vomiting or anything?Is the pain more on your right side and going around to your back? If the pain gets too bad today get to the hospital. They will do more testing and also give you stronger meds. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know exactly what it feels like and it is terrible.
Laura, what ended up happening?  I am 2.5 weeks post op from hysterectomy and having the same, god-aweful pains and my intuition told me it's my gall bladder...i have had issues with it in the past.  But, like you, this came about suddenly here.  When I googled "gall bladder angry after hysterectomy", your post and the other gal's came up. How are you?   Su