Hormones after total hysterectomy
I was wondering if any of you all have been put on hormones after a total hysterectomy.  My doctor says there are too many risks and I don't need them...I am 38. I don't know what to expect here 2 weeks after surgery, I keep waiting for a hotflash or something weird to happen. :) What can happen if I don't take them? I've had nightmares of growing hair on my face or my voice getting manly. Are my fears real?  Can anyone share their experience or knowledge about hormones?

Thanks,
Sippy
I had a total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, my doctor is saying he does not think I will need to go on any hormone meds, yet the visiting nurse made a comment and said "how does he expect me to get them?"
I am very up and down emotionaly, I am also warm one sec cold the next (in the past I was NEVER cold).
What should I do?  I am 35 and live with my parents and cannot stand hearing call the doctor and get on some meds!!!
I am 57 I had a total hysterectomy due to cystosil, 5 months ago,  GYN advised at my request natural Estroven + Multivitamins.  I feel great except for some white spots on my arms since 3 months ago.  Is very unconfortable to see my arms full of white freckels like.  My Dematologyst has given me some topic cream  LAMIFEN for fungus but. depigmentation is still there.  Does anybody knows of any remedy for my problem? Also, is there any maintanence program for after hysterectomy at my age?.

i had a hystrecomy 2007 they took everything and now its 2012 i was 37 then ive never taken hormones or nothing the hot flashes are killing me and anxiety and insominia and heart flutters... the doctor recommend me vivelle dot patch... im scared side effects.... is it safe 0.25 mg?
Realize this is 4 years later and maybe (hopefully) there has been more education....but I am 40...wanted to keep ovary/uterus.....anything I could since I still wanted to have children..  Found out 4 years ago, after ultrasounds showed (large "growths")....only laparascopy could definitevely show, (including extremely high CA 125 levels)....dr. sent me to  cancer doctor, since, that is ALL (even today), that they really have to go on.  It turned out to be one LARGE obulated endometrioma.  I continued on HRT(the pill) & trying to get pregnant (including 1 round IVF)...until giving up, going to pelvic pain specialist, she tried laparoscopy AGAIN, had to switch to laparotomy (after realizing Stage 4 endo.), which I knew all along, but she stressed trying to save ovary for reasons mentioned above.  In the end, my surgery (not 20 min.!) turned into a ridiculous 7 hour surgery under which, one ureter was pierced, my colon was punctured, and I will probably  continue to have problems "down there" FOREVER.  I say this in response to reading your "keep your uterus" comment.  MANY women would like to, but unfortunately, upon surgical, (or laporoscopy review), not only need their uterus removed, but can have "ruined" other organs, that are finally "cemented" to it!!  (the IT being my UTERUS!).  VERY unfortunately, THERE IS NO WAY OF TELLING IF A WOMAN EVEN "HAS" (nevertheless the level of) ENDOMETRIOSIS  without some type of surgical(even laparoscopy) event!!
What if any benefits are there to the all natural estrogen supplements you can find online (ie amberen, estrovent, estroblend).  Is it possible to correct the hormone imbalance with out taking a ton of prescription medication.  I am a 40 year old that had a full surgical hysterectomy in 2005.  My ob/gyn gave me the patch to wear immediately (actually woke from surgery with one on) and it made me insane.  
I don't want to be like that but I have noticed some memory loss and headaches more recently, and the hot flashes have been getting worse.  
I am miserable, now and want to know what natural alternatives there are.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Jenn
I wanted to know if any of you has been put on Lysteda? I have been put on it and it only seems to be worse.  My cycle has always been irregular and heavy.  Lysteda has decreased the flow but having horrible pains in lower abdominal and a lot of swelling in the torso area(so much that it hurts to wear my genie bra). I also have a bicornate uterus with a beign cysts on an ovary.  I'm almost 41 and was wondering if a hysterectomy would be a better solution?
Your informatiom is very helpful. I too have had a hysterectomy in May 2011 due to heavy periods and cyst on ovaries. I take estradol and it does nothing for the hot flashes and night sweats. I still have the same effects that I had when I was having a period. The headaches and leg aches are still present. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions. Thank you for all the research you've done.
cfine65
Hi!  I had a total hystarectomy 4 months ago due to yrs of pain and other issues.  I'm 45 yrs old.  My doc immediately started me on progesterone to help kill off any residual traces of endometriosis that was present.  I was supposed to stay on this for 6 months before switching to estrogen.  At first, I turned into an ogre!  My family was walking on eggshells around me because no one wanted to set me off again.  As my body adjusted, I started becoming aware of the most wonderful things.  I was losing weight, my body shape was changing for the better, and I stopped eating sweets!  Don't want them.  They don't taste good to me anymore.  I was a diehard sweet addict before my surgery!  I had energy and felt like I had control of my life.

Because my vaginal incision would not heal, he stopped the progesterone and started me on vivelle-dot .1 mg (almost nothing).  At first I just cried all the time about everything but it's getting better.  It's been 3 weeks on estrogen.  I'm trying to decide if I want to stay on this.  I'm having major brain fog, forgetfulness, lethargic, and my face is breaking out.  I have not had the 1st hot flash or any other typical symptom.  Honestly, I'm missing my progesterone!

I'm wondering if my symptoms are caused by the estrogen.  Doc said I could stop it and see of the menopause symptoms got bad and then go back on it, but I'm afraid to make any more changes.  Just not sure about what I need to do.  I cannot tolerate this lack of energy and constant brain fog anymore.  Any suggestions?

Lisa D
Hi, my name is Alison and I'm 28 years old and am scheduled for a total hysterectomy in 4 days. My OB/GYN and GYN ONC are both amazing doctors! I have been dealing with endometriosis and endometrial nomas since about 2 years after I had my first period - 13 years total. They are in the worst places (one rests between my bowel and my vagina...AGONIZING PAIN!). I even have a "depressed" ovary, as it is so weighted down with endometrial tissue that it is left sagging very low! After being told that the largest noma was the size of an orange, I should not plan to have children - I wouldn't be able to carry them if I did get pregnant. Well, we did and I carried him full term with no complications! I did continue to have pain the entire way through my pregnancy though!

Now, my son is 2...I'm 28...and I can't live with this pain. My OB/GYN put me on the Depo Lupron injection as a means to throw my body into pre-menopause and trick it into not knowing how to create endometrial tissue anymore, should I have come off the shot (they also use this injection for women with endo as a fertility treament, as you are extremely fertile when you come off it!). I have only been on it for 9 months, but my nomas have shrunk - and the largest noma shrunk from the size of an orange to that of about an enlarged quarter! Needless to say, I can't take the extreme mood swings it gives me and have opted for a much needed total hysterectomy. My doctor is taking everything - uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and my cervix as cancer runs ramped in my family!

My question to you all is this - I have been on the Depo Lupron injection with an adback of progesterone for the past 9 months. I have been off the shot for 2 months now, but my doctor has had me continue the progesterone, and will have my continue the progesterone until my 6 month post-op mark. He wants to ensure that I do not receive estrogen and that we do not flair up any remaining endometrial tissue that is too small to see or remove. At that time, he said we will discuss the path ahead. I guess my question is - do I need estrogen? Can I just stay on progesterone? I understand that bioidentical hormones are the way to go, but is HRT even necessary? We haven't discussed any of this yet b/c we haven't reached that time frame, but I want to ensure I don't do anything to irritate the scar tissue that may linger. Please help and offer any opinions! Thanks!
I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and still have one ovarie but my question is do I need some type of hormonal replacement??? I have been so moody and one minute I will be crying and the next I'm happy. I can't sleep at night and an very fatigue all the time. No energy at all and my whole body aches. Is this normal???
I'm going though menopause. And I have all the the these that u mentio and more for 7year they have true everything so no we are going to. do a hysterectomy

Duchess
Hi I am 36 and had a total hysterectomy unexpected 3 months ago and i agree you will need them.  I have a local bio identical hormone office.. I just started a cream with testosterone progesterone and estradiol it is all natural.  I have only heard good things. You don't want to start having all these problems then have to fix them... I started a pill form of only estradiol and i felt good.. but that passes thru your liver etc and can cause cancer etc plus hello my obgyn didn't even give me testosterone or progesterone they have great benefits for a long and healthy life.. I have papers on it and number if you need info.. i would not know where to go if i hadn't found out about my local place.. they took my blood wk and i was below low on everything and definitely starting to have low sex drive it seemed ?? already.. i have been on the cream for only a week it takes time but feeling a difference. I definitely think you should look into it before the problems creep up on you and they will..
I had a full hysterectomy about 2 years ago. The day of surgery when I woke up I had major mood rage.... It was horrible. The doctor tried the pills (don't remember the name) but they did not work for me. He then put me on the Patch and it works ok.. I have mood swings bad sometimes and I do not know what to do. I also have bad headaches now and before I didn't. If I wanted to quit taking the patch would it hurt? Would the hot flashes and mood swings get worse? Also the sex drive is gone. I still can have moisture but I just don't want it. HELP PLEASE!!
thank you so much, all the info you just gave answered almost all the question and fears i am having, had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, the healing from the surgery was easy for me by the 2cd week, but the 3rd and fouth week with the hot flashes, mood swings, not being able to concentrate or think at all, is driving me crazy.  i have a doc apt. tomorrow morning and I am confident on my decision of bio-hormonal replacement, and thank you for the names of them, I am going to continue to do research. but i feel so much better with the knowledge I  got from you. thank u so much:)
HI Mary!  Thanks for all the great info. I think it's important to note that  using bio-identica hormones IS hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, just different than Premarin, or non- bio-identical HRT.
As I'm sure you know from your research, you can get cancer from bio-identical hormones, or even from your own production of estrogen, if you are producing too much.
There is so much marketing around bio-identicals that many women think they are the answer to everything.  While there may be real benefits, there are also real risks, as I found out the hard way.  I was on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone, and got uterine cancer.  I had no risk factors, as this is a cancer that generally affects obese women over sixty.  I'm skinny, otherwise very healthy and 50.
My only risk factor for estrogen dominance was the bio-identical estrogen. Maybe the prometrium was not strong enough to counteract the estrogen.  It's super important to get a yearly vaginal ultrasound if you are on any type of estrogen.
Just had complete hysterectomy, and I may eventually go back on very small doeses of bio-identicals, but would certainly caution women to take the smallest dose possible of these hormones, and if you find you do well without them - that's great too.  Women who take good care of themselves and make health a priority will not experience accelerated aging if they forego hormones.  For women who are afraid they will wrinkle up without estrogen, let me tell you that getting cancer causes wrinkles!
Hi , I had a total hysterectomy (vaginal) about 2 months ago due to prolapsed cervix problems for years.  I am age 44 years with 2 kids.  The op and thereafter was no problem.  Now I am clueless, I googled total hysterectomy on wikipedia and the details were either ovaries taken out or remain.  Mine were not taken out.  My present problem is my breasts have increased by at least 2 cup sizes as well as my bum - is this possible? Even though I still have my ovaries.  I know so little about hormones as well as where to look and am so nervous to ask my gny. as I presume HRT will be advised.  I would really appreciate any help on the above.  Chan
I will be 45 in a few days.  In 2009 I had a hysterectomy due to cancer.  I kept my left ovary.  Last month I developed a large cyst that is causing a lot of pain.  My doctor suggested surgery.  At my last appointment, I tried talking to him about hormones.  I ask about bio identical, he said actually not much difference in these and what doctors have been prescribing for yrs.  (not sure I agree with this).  Anyway, I am on thyroid medication, Armor thyroid.  He said it is a real pain to adjust hormone levels when you are on thyroid medication because they work against each other.  I ask when I should consider going on hormones, because I feel tired and wrung out a lot.  He told me that when I started having hot flashes I should consider it then.   Any opinions?
Hi Tammy...I had a TT back in '80 due to Thyroid Cancer....I then had a Total hyster back in '99....I tried many different types of HRTs w/no luck...Premarin being the worse...I have been on Bio-Identical since 2001 and, have to say, I don't know where I'd be emotionally w/out them....Fast fwd to '13 where I recently had hormone blood work done and all my levels are extremely low, which tells me, my body may not be absorbing the "pill form" bio-Ident....I do feel great but I recently heard from a dr how taking estrogen pill form can be very toxic to the liver...Considering my dad, brother and g'father passed away from liver disease, I may have to meet w/my gyno about changing how I take my HRTs....As for you, I would def'ly be taking HRTs....feel free to email me at ***@**** but put Hyster on title caption or it will get deleted....
i had a hysterctomy 2 years ago and my mood swings are bad what do i do i do not feel like myself
I will be 48 this month, I had a total Hy, 3 years ago.  I am on the V -dot patch,  I was wondering can I stop using this or will I have to always use this?
Yes you do need HRT but I would only go with bio-identical hormones. I had a radical hysterectomy in June 2000 at age 38. I chose not to take Premarin because of the chance of breast cancer associated with it. I actually had a friend that was on it for 2 years after her hysterectomy and she got cancer in both breasts. So I didn't use anything and 2 years ago, at age 49 I was told I have osteoporosis in the spine and hip. I did take calcium for most of the years since the surgery. I have been researching so much and I now use the bio-identical hormones cream. I have read most of Suzanne Somers books and I do believe she is right about the bio-identical hormones. I realize your post was 7 years ago so I hope by now you are doing well. As for the hot flashes, when I wasn't on the BHRT, I still had them. Not as bad as right after the surgery but I have also gained 50 pounds since surgery (but after changing eating habits, I lost 20).  I hike quite a bit and run on a treadmill but nothing seems to take off the weight. I am from a very small family; no one in my family weighs near as much as I do. I currently weigh 155 but my weight at age 38 before surgery was 125. My mother and sister have never weighed over 120 (even when they were pregnant). This weight will not come off. I recently started the bio hormones and I am hoping this helps with the osteoporosis and with the weight. Hysterectomies are done way to much and I was told by the surgeon that he would not let me keep the ovaries. My cervical cancer was the size of a pen dot and had not gone deep. I think they should have only taken a small piece of my cervix where the cancer was but I was not given a choice and I was scared. When I asked my doctor why I needed to take Premarin, he said "you just need to because you have had a hysterectomy and you will need to take them the rest of your life." but he didn't explain what the ovary function was and why I would need it. Women need to be better informed before surgery. If I had to do over again, I would try to find a different surgeon however my insurance company dictates what doctors I can see. Anyway, best of luck to all of the women posting here. Hope this helps in some way.
Hi all, I have been reading all of the posts and I am now more scared than ever to have a total hysterectomy at the end of the month. I have had problems for years with endometriosis and fibroids. Several years ago they did a laparoscopy and discovered it all because the ultrasound did not show it. They cleaned me up and told me that eventually it would come back and most likely I would have to have it removed. I am 37 and my periods are normal and not too bad, but my uterus is the size of a 3 1/2 month pregnancy and I have pain but not so bad that I cannot tolerate it. I have had my last two gyn's tell me that surgery was the next option. I mainly am contemplating the surgery because I have horrible PMS from ovulation on and do not feel normal and very irritable. I have tried to see if there is just a hormonal imbalance but feel that it goes unaddressed. I need to know that I will be alright after the surgery and that the mood swings and irritability will not get worse. I am torn on what to do and want to have this done in hopes that I will feel better but it just sounds like it could get worse. I already have hair growth in places that I shouldn't. Any suggestions?
I had a total hysterectomy about 4 years ago, I have not been taking any type of hormones, I have not grown facial hair nor has my voice become manly.  I think those are just old wives tales maybe.  Since having my hysterectomy I have never felt better.  I hope this helps
I had a hystrectomy almost 7 years ago at age 26 almost 27 I had several problrms since age 14 due to Endometriosis. I was told I would never have kids and if I did I would never have problems again well I had 2 kids and still had problems after my first one, after my second I had my tubes tied and needless to say wish I had not done that. A year later I had an ablation done and was told I would not experience any other problems SUPER WRONG I started my cycle 3 weeks after my ablation and in a year I maybe had 5 weeks that I did not have a cycle that was total time not all at once. Well I had another problem with the Endometriosis went to ER where I stayed 12 hrs for them to tell me they found Cancer cells and recommended me to a Gynocologist and  we both agreed that a hystrecomy would be best...ok so my point to explation is this question do I need to find a hormone I am almost 34 and am pretty sure I am experiencing menopause, he had left my left ovary due to my age and I am almost completely convinced it has shut down or is shutting down. I have been having mood swings for a while I have hot flashes but they last for more than just a flash, and let's not even talk about the childish like acne and weight gain...so I am sure I need hormones and want to know if I am correct and if so what would be recommended?
Dear Mary.  I am 40. I initially came to this sight in order to accumulate different thought on full hysterectomy's in solution to what has been a nightmare life of periods and cycles. From the age of 15 I have been bent in two with debilitating cramps. Once a month I heave, throw up and clot badly. I get a huge surge of pain and then pass out, come to in further fits of excruciating pain... and this goes on until i have nothing but stomach acids coming up. eventually after about eight hours it subsides.  I have four days in my cycle where I am not bloated.  And by bloated I do not mean your usual bloating.  I go up sometimes two bras sizes and deviate between an access of 10-15 pounds.  I am exhausted all the time. I feel like I need to shut myself away in order to keep control of my emotions the last two and half weeks of my cycle.  I feel brain fuzzy all the time.  In the last three years the top of my spine has started to collaps forward.  I have joint and muscular pain that has increased with age.  All of symptoms are getting worse with age.  I have been hospitalized during cramp fits several times (once I passed out in the streets and was brought in to the emergency by a complete stranger. Had no recollection of getting into the car)  THey have never found anything wrong.  Nothing has ever been done to help me.  I keep going to doctors and am so tired of hearing that it is in my head.  Something is not right about my hormonal cycle.  I am desperate at this point.  I realize after reading these posts that eliminating my organs and therefore my hormonal system is not the answer.  Do you think that it is possible I have a way lower the average progesterone level?  thanks you for your guidance.  
Hello Theresa?i'm Haidee from the Philippines,almost 2 months when I undergo total hysterectomy,I just wanna ask you,what is your specific herbal products or herbal treatments that I can use also if possible.your reply will be very much appreciated.thanks
Hi I just recently (like 3 days ago) had my last ovary removed due to endometriosis and scar tissue. I read your Dr. put you on Progesterone I'm wondering if you any new endo cells grew back since then? I guess I'm wondering why my Dr. hasn't put me on this if it can help me, after 3 surgeries in 2 years. I'm a little tired of going under the knife.
I had a total hysterectomy at age 32, in 1995, after a series of many surgeries which include tumors, cysts, endometriosis etc. I went on HRT for years, until they found a number of tumors on one breast. I took the best option at that time and went off all hormones, to see if this was the cause. After 6 months, tumors were gone! Needless to say, I stayed off hormones!

Here I am at age 50! After 6 years of nothing, I am starting to have hot flashes, feeling exhausted all the time, weight gain and fatigue. I have a high stress job, and am glad to report, I'm in the best possible marriage anyone could ever have. I say that to say this; I'm a newlywed and don't want to waste one day suffering with all this. I don't want HRT but need something to get through menopause.

What do you suggest?  I'm ready for a change now!  Help!!!
Hello, Ladies my name is Anna I had a total hysterectomy last year April is it completely normal feeling like a basket case, no one understands you I want to run and hide im different.  I hate who I have become always edgy quick to lash out, my poor family all my bones in my body hurt only thing im taking is the minivelle patch.  Will someone please tell me that this to shall pass don't know who to talk to then I found this site.  I would appreciate any advice plzzz, and thank you
I am sorry you are suffering, Anna. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like "a basket case" and "different" and wanting to "run and hide." This hysterectomy surgery has destroyed me in so many ways. I don't even look the same because I aged so quickly! I became a recluse not only because I felt "different" and no longer found it easy or enjoyable to socialize but I also did not want others to see how much I had aged.

I will say though that finding the "right" (right for me) hormone replacement has helped quite a bit. It has improved my SEVERE post-hysterectomy depression, anxiety, sleep, energy, nausea, memory, cognition...general ability to function and be somewhat "engaged" in life. So if you are still having a lot of these types of symptoms, the Minivelle may not be the "right" HRT for you. It can take a bit of trial and error to find "your" HRT but do not give up! There are pills, patches, gels, and vaginal rings from which to choose. Hope this helps!
I'm five weeks recovering from a total hysterectomy, my pain is minimal. What I'm having a hard time with is my emotions, & mood swings. I feel broken, My loving boyfriend is an angel, but I know he wants me back to my old self and I don't want to turn into a monster. I'm current on Minivelle, and not sure what else is out there to help me.  Any advise
Sorry to hear about your hysterectomy and resulting emotional changes. If the Minivelle is not a good option for you, there are many others to try. Just do a search for estrogen and you will find pills, patches, gels, rings. So there are many to try. Good luck.
Thank you, i feel like I'm losing myself & at times I feel lost with no direction to go in, everyone tells me it will pass just give it time. I will research more on estrogen. I'm sorry what you have been through too.
Hello i had a total hysterectomy on halloween last year due to numerous medical issues. Im 52 and a mother of five amazing children and one very happy grandson. My surgery was easy and they took out all my issues. Recovered quickly and back to work 19 days after surgery. Now as i enter one year after the hot flashes havent changed. About 5 a day. Night sweats once a night. Cant do hormone therapy based on cancer history. Not moody at all which was a big fear  i have questions. Had a mammo on Wednesday and had a discharge from both breast. The woman doing it said it was my hormones that caused it. What hormones? I didnt think i had any anymore. So now what do i do. Any thoughts? Thank you for helping
Grace - sorry to hear about your hysterectomy. Did you have breast cancer hence the reason for not being able to take hormones? Studies show that taking estrogen does not increase risk of breast cancer but I don't know if that only applies to women who have not had BC or certain types of BC.

My uterus and ovaries were removed and I have occasional sensations of the "let-down reflex" - not sure what causes it.
I haven't been able to read all the posts but I had a complete hysterectomy about 7 years ago (im now 40). I have only been on estradiol 2. The weight will not go away (and its all in the middle). I work out 5x a week vigorously. I've tried to lower salt intake, I eat 99% whole foods, take vitamins, supplements. Nothing is helping with the weight.

I lost insurance with the divorce and I gain about ten lbs when I don't take the estradiol. Ive had it with the extra weight. I can not afford any doctor visit, hormone replacement, and bc the insurance was backdated I now have money due so I cannot get the Rx refilled.  

I try to eat food packed with estrogen but this is not enough.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my hormones back in line and get this weight off?
Sorry you are also suffering the effects of a hysterectomy. I don't have much to offer on the weight issue. Unfortunately, weight gain seems common after this surgery. But it sounds like you are taking all the right steps, eating right and exercising. If you have an Rx for generic Estrace tablets, those a very inexpensive here in the U.S. I believe most pharmacies charge only $4 for 30 tablets or $10 for 90 and that is without insurance. That is what I have been using and paying.
I had a total hysterectomy two years ago for a chocolate cyst. everything was good until about a year later when pain was ingratiating pain again. Said remembrance of ovary was there causing a cyst. Had it removed which was good again but two cysts later and at a loss. Need help understanding    
So you developed an "ovarian" cyst even though your ovary was removed? If so, I have to wonder if you have an ovarian remnant.
I had a full hysterectomy 2 years ago and I am still having pain. Is this normal? My doctor keeps putting me go on antibiotics and hormones but none of it is helping. I am so sick of being in pain and sex is so painful. Am I alone in this? I am only 26 years old.
  Cristy657  BOY DO U AND I NEED TO TALK IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME EXACT THINGS ITS UNREAL THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS HAVING SUCH A HORRIBLE TIME !!! WOW !!!!!!
Was the reason for your hysterectomy endometriosis (endo)? If so, it is common to continue having pain or for pain to start back up (after some temporary relief) because hysterectomy is not a cure for endo. Endo implants are generally found throughout the pelvis, not just on the female sex organs. Those implants will continue to cause pain. Other possibly reasons for pelvic pain post-hysterectomy are development of adhesions (scar tissue), nerve damage or entrapment, or other surgical injuries.
Hello Ladies....I had a total and complete hysterectomy 12 yrs ago due to endometriosis and never could have children. Having a total hysterectomy can make you do things you would never dream of doing. I had been married to a man 14 yrs older than me and oh what a good man he was but I decided to have an affair that lasted 2 yrs then felt guilty and ended it. I decided also that my marriage was over after 25 yrs and divorced. I remarried a man 22 yrs older than me and we have the most awesome marriage anyone can ask for in life. He is my soul-mate. I do want y'all to know that you do go thru changes when you have this done but you do finally settle down and break free of the change of life thingy.....  I want y'all to know I was on all different kinds of estrogens for years then my Dr decided to start me on the shots 2 yrs ago with the highest amount you can take which was Estradiol 5mg. I would be ok for the first week then the hot flashes would begin again. I suffered more on all the estrogens than you can imagine. I have been off them for a while now (11 months) and feel so much better and OH the hot-flashes only come here and there where as they were awful all the time on hormone therapy. I started taking an antidepressant the minute I had my hysterectomy so I never had any mood swings nor did I ever gain any weight. As a matter of fact, I lost down to 96 pds (5'7) which is unusual but have put some weight on since so I do look a lot better. I just y'all to know that even thru all the hormone therapies I still got osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and extremely dry skin. I would say to experiment around with it and go from there. I can only tell you what effects it had on me. Good luck and know that there is no book on how to tell you what all you feel like or go thru. Just learn as you go. God Bless
I agree totally with everything in this post! 3 years post total hysterectomy, taking bio identical hormone estrogen. After a year I was almost suicidal the depression and anger was so bad. I found a progesterone cream and within 5 minutes everything was better. (My husband got smarter and my kids were ok again.) Still having hot flashes like crazy. Been on every dose they have and always have hot flashes. At 48 I'd like to get back to life.
Are you still taking estrogen (along with the progesterone)? Maybe the dose is not high enough or the level is fluctuating too much which can also cause symptoms of estrogen deficiency such as hot flashes. My peak estradiol level on the patch (Vivelle-Dot) was considered "therapeutic" but I felt estrogen deficient in every way including mild hot flashes. Estradiol tablets (generic Estrace) works better for me than the patch did. I never tried the Climara patch or any of the gels.
Hi, I'm really sorry if someone has asked a similar question, I read lots of the posts but not all. I am 34 and have had painful intercourse for 7 years since my c-section. A couple months ago I had my appendix removed and the surgeon saw mirroring in my abdominal wall that he suspected was endometriosis. I saw a surgical gynecological oncologist today and he wants to take ovaries plus uterus. As well as clean up and endometriosis he sees. I'm not sure what to do.... But sex is so painful we have just stopped. I have trouble with my bowel and bladder as well. But I'm horrible at remembering g to take pills. I. Just wondering what my life on HRT would be like. I'm scared and in a little shock after my appointment today.
I had a hysterectomy with ovary removal over 9 years ago when I was 49 and it has been a hellish existence since then. Most women are not told the many after effects by their doctors. I did not have endo.

Ipurr2 will likely come along and respond. She had a hysterectomy with ovary removal for endo and still has endo. Removing organs is not a cure since endo implants itself all over the pelvis including on bladder and bowels and they don't remove those. And it is difficult to remove all the endo so chances are you will not get relief or it will be only temporary. And estrogen can be like miracle gro to any endo left behind. Yet going without estrogen in surgical "menopause" can be quite hellish! Surgical menopause is a misnomer because it is WAY WORSE than natural menopause plus puts us at increased risk for many health problems. Do a web search for "bilateral oophorectomy long term health."

Not only would you be stuck with the awful endocrine havoc (since the ovaries are endocrine glands and produce hormones all our lives for which there is no true replacement) but the removal of the uterus destroys pelvic integrity - bladder, bowel, and vagina position and function as well as the skeletal structure (causing depressing figure changes).

If surgical intervention is warranted, excision surgery by a true endometriosis specialist is the gold standard for endo.

You may want to post over on Medhelp's Endometriosis board if you haven't already. Best of luck to you!
I had a total hysterectomy at 39 years old.  I am 50 now.  Felt awful for years.
Tired, brain fog, anxiety, depression,and on and on.
Was diagnosed with fibromyagia on anti drepressants.
  I finally heard about brht.
Went to a private doctor.  Blood test showed no hormones at all.  No vitamin D and low on vitamin b.
How can they think they can take everything out of a woman and not give them hormones to balance.  The BRHT Dr was amazing. On bioidentical creams morning and night and I am like a new woman.  Skin amazing, no longer on any anti drepressants no longer have tiredness or foggy brain.
Bioidentical hormones do not cause cancer.  synthetic however probably do.
snuffyduroc - It is a shame that you suffered so long! I wonder why your surgeon did not prescribe any hormones!? Unfortunately, most women are not given all the necessary facts before they sign on the dotted line for surgery. :( Are you on estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone? I have been stable on the estradiol tablets but my skin took a big hit from the surgery...lost collagen and elasticity causing that awful saggy skin. Plus most of my hair fell out and has not grown back.