Hysterectomy Community
Hormones after total hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hormones after total hysterectomy

I was wondering if any of you all have been put on hormones after a total hysterectomy.  My doctor says there are too many risks and I don't need them...I am 38. I don't know what to expect here 2 weeks after surgery, I keep waiting for a hotflash or something weird to happen. :) What can happen if I don't take them? I've had nightmares of growing hair on my face or my voice getting manly. Are my fears real?  Can anyone share their experience or knowledge about hormones?

Thanks,
Sippy
Hey there!  Did you keep your ovaries?
~Tascha
My doctor didn't think it a good idea to keep the ovaries-so they took everything-no ovaries. :(

:)sippy
Ok.  It takes a little time for all of the hormones to leave your body, once they do you may have symptoms.  Mary53 is our resident bioidentical hormone expert!  She has done so much research.  I am sure she will recommend Dr. Uzzie Reiss' book.  You can also google "Dr Uzzie Reiss" and that will give you some info.  If you do go on hormones, bioidentical is the way to go.
I hope this helps!
~Tascha
HEY,
I'M LIKE YOU WANTING TO KNOW WHAT TO DO....I'M ONLY 5 DAYS POST OP.  THE DR. GAVE ME THE PATCH TO USE...BUT, TO WAIT AND SEE IF I ACTUALLY NEED THEM...SOME WOMEN DOES JUST FINE..HOW HAVE YOU BEEN FEELING?  ANY HOT FLASHES?
As Gatsby said, Mary53 is extremely knowledgeable about this.  I had my remaining ovary removed this past April and started on the Climara patch about 6 weeks after the surgery.  The hot flashes had already started ( beastly stuff).  I was very fortunate in that my gyn/onc was very open to my questions and clearly laid out the options: HRT, antidepressents to ease going through the symptoms of menopause, do nothing.  I've been happy with the Climara, and pleasantly surprised at how the patch stayed on despite being down in Florida on vacation.  Keep reading, listen to what Mary has to say and keep an open mind.  I'm sure you'll find the path that suits you the best.  
peace,
Anne
I am 41 and my gyn and gyn/onc insist that I take hormone replacement therapy because I am too young.  What kind of risks do you have?  Any blood clotting disorders?  Let me know...Shawn
Sorry I cannot post much tonight. Husband had Kidney stone surgery today and is in pain and so I need and want to be available for him.

I did post some stuff recently on hormones (it is a jungle out there)....something to Mammarabbit, Tybear, and...oh...New Life Gal. Check posts from late last week and then over the weekend. Sunday morning, I think...(like you will know it is a morning post!).

Look for info on Bioidentical hormones. Check Dr. Erika's site (spell all together and add a dot com to get her website) Women to women (all together and a dot com) and Christiane Northrup, MD (google to get her webpage, although she did start women to women I believe.

There is lots to learn...but, well worth the research. You will be ahead of the game if you start to learn about all of this now. It is overwhelming at first, but it gets easier and it is life-enhancing for sure. Read, research, and then formulate your own opinion since there are SOOOO many opinions out there about all this. I have been studying them and taking them for six years (Bioidentical hormones...not HRT). My sister for 10 years.

Cannot say enough. And, I had my ovaries removed due to early ovarian cancer diagnosis (exploratory surgery...found the malignant cyst).

Off to care for my patient. Look for the posts and just print and study later...gosh, I sound like a teacher...

Take care, Mary
Mamarabbit,
Thanks for asking, I'm doing okay.  Really weak and still having pain, I'm 15 days out of surgery and wondering when the pain will go away.  How about you? How long did you stay in the hosp? One thing I've had a problem with is feeling like my bladder's been put in a different place and painful urination. I got put on something for bladder spasms. I don't know if what I'm feeling is a hotflash or not.  I live in TN so it's real hot and humid-hard to tell what's a hotflash for me.

ShawnP-The pathology findings from my surgery showed thrombosed veins in my ovary. The doc. said this was unusual so now I am being tested for FactorV, they tell me it's a bloodclotting disorder, I don't have a appt. w/ the hematologist until 7-11.

:) Sippy
I am sorry you are still in pain.  I think for me after a total hysterectomy, I had pain, related to that surgery, for about 6 or 7 weeks, decreasing a little every week.  I wondered what's this hotflash stuff about also for the first 2 or 3 weeks.  Then I got my first one - for me the first one was the worst one.  Sudden and I couldn't move, from head down to toe, my blood felt like lava dripping slowly down from the very top of my head until I was just burning up and drenched.  Never such a bad one ever again, but I tell you I was scared to death to ever go through that again.  I took only natural herbal remedies and I don't have any more hotflashes (took about 5 - 6 months).  I would never take any HRT unless you look up side effects first.  You will see all kinds of dangerous side effects which could put a person in worse condition (or major disease, like breast cancer) than they already are in.  I have heard some promising things about biodentical hormones, but I haven't had time to research long term effects and its not 100% natural, so I didn't do that either.  I haven't heard any negative side effects yet, but I think it is kind of new.
from: dee26

I am 26 years old and just had total hysterectomy forr severe endometriosis and my doctor has given me hormones called Prometrium 200mg and vivelle-dot and those things gave me crazy mood swings so I took the patch off and stopped taking the prometrium. I have three little kids and I don't have time for the major mood swings and on top of that I run a daycare center. I just had my hysterectomy five weeks ago and I may have had five hot flashes all together. I am not taking anything now and I feel great; do I even need to?
No, you don't.  HRT has now raised the question of increasing breast cancer risk if you feel better without them...don't take them.  I can't take HRT since I as dx with cancer but back in the days I took the birth control pill I felt like you are describing.  Best wishes.  Shelly
Get tied on...you will be in the worst ride of your life. You are young. You will be walking down the street and bam....heat wave....even in snow storm. Your skin will get dry. You will wrinkle. You will have trouble thinking. Tell your doctor to shut up and put you on some hormones- you will need them. Try Premarin or some of the bioidentical ones. Try something. My boyfriend graduated number one in his medical class....he is appalled at the treatment of women. He is the author of medical board questions....take progesterone too....The symptoms will hit about 30 days after removal. Keep having sex and then you will not get "dry."
Good luck.
As a lawyer, I am appalled too.

Actually, first a comment to Cowgirldrdr: I would love to speak with your boyfriend...and, tell him  THANK YOU!!! WOW....I soooo agree with you and your boyfriend. There is so LITTLE information out there...so little correct information and even then there is disagreement! Or, women are brushed off regarding their health...regarding good hormone information and the fact that women do not have to suffer as they do. Theat there are "good" estrogens and "bad" ones, that the need for progesterone is critical (in my opinion) even if you DON'T have a uterus, and that there is actually much protection available from hormonal support if it is done correctly. I am not a fan of the synthetics, like Premarin, but I say this after researching this stuff since the year 2000.

There are so many "layers" to all this. I mainly study the bioidentical hormones, which actually Dee was on, since the Vivelle Patch is a bioidentical Estrogen, and Prometrium, which is a Bio Progesterone which most take orally (Dr. Northrup, in her book, "The Wisdom of Menopause" ...a must-read for all women in my opinion) says that although the manufacturer of Prometrium does not recommend it, you can open the capsule (I have done this) and put the cream on your body if you want to by-pass the liver and also if you want to avoid getting sleepy from the product. Some women want that and so they take the higher dose of Prometrium at night. The progesterone itself will make you calmer, but will not tire you out (unless the dose is too high....but you would get sleepy in about twenty minutes if this were the case) but it is a by-product of the hormone pill that causes the tiredness.

To Dee...you have had three children and so you might have more protection for awhile against the effects of not having the release of Progesterone any longer, but most women feel the effects of the loss of this hormone after a surgical menopause, in particular. I felt the effects of no progesterone and no testosterone three months after my surgery and I did not feel whole again until I was all balanced out with the bio estrogen and progesterone and also the testosterone.

Please arm yourself with information so that if a symptom comes about that you have trouble diagnosing....always look to hormones first. I had severe leg cramping for about six months and it did not decrease until my progesterone levels were balanced out. I was too low in this hormone and it was likely because I was in a stressful job and the progesterone that I was using (cream rubbed into the skin) was being made into cortisol. There is so much to learn regarding all of this, but you need to research it all so that you can understand how the body uses hormones to protect and how you need to stay balacned.

Northrup's book gives good information, too, to those who do not want to use the hormones unless it is as a last resort. I have more information regarding all of this on my profile and on my journal entry.

For Dee.....just remember, too, that your body has been through trauma due to the surgery and so it would take time to adjust hormonally anyway.

Well, good luck to all. This is a huge and controversial topic, I know....But, there should be something out there to safely help you. Just keep reserching.

Mary
Jan used to urge all of us to "Go Blue" and I was a bit resistant at first...now I love it and will carry on for Jan while she is not feeling all that well....so, if you are willing...go for a profile. Even if you just add that you are "female" or add your age....I think you will like having a profile. Great for updates...finding old posts...leaving messages, etc.

Welcome to the community,

Mary 53
I had a total hysterectomy 4 weks ago due to stage 3 ovca. I haven't had any hot flushes yet but my ovaries had already shut down due to previous chemo and i did get the flushes back then. My question is - is it safe to go on HRT when you have ovca? I thought there was a link between ovca and an increase in ovca. I am 45 years old and not ready to deal with all the negatives of menopause but don't want to make things worse.

Susie
hi i had a hysterectomy 6 years ago when i was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, i was 47 then and i chose not to have HRT because at that time there was a big issue about it being connected with ovarian and breast cancer. but beware.... i have since found out that i have ostioporisis and i have now got a bent spine and thining of the bones, please every one who chooses not to take hormone replacements, please look into taking supplements for this complaint because if you have been thrown into the menapause early you could end up the same as me.

julie
I just recently had a hysterectomy for Uterine Cancer and my gyn told me there was no way I would be put on HRT because of my family hist. for breast cancer... He took everything (tubes, ovaries, cervix) because this is the first place the cancer would return.  I don't know if bio-identicals would have the same effect, but I have yet to have all the hot flashes I had earlier in my menopause...

On my way out the door to work, but I will say this...the bioidentical hormones are not HRT. Media (mis)information regarding hormones and lumping all of them into one big pool based on the study in 2002 Women's initiative had everyone running away...including those interested in the Bio's.

I just posted some info on my profile regarding the bio's...although I will post more since right now I cannot recall if I posted the information on the difference between the two in more detail. I will check in later, or you can leave a message. Ovarian cancer cells were found in a cyst that was drained and so that was why I had my hysterectomy in 2000. My oncologist started me on the Vivelle patch (a bio) but I later learned that it needed to be supplemented with Bio Progesterone...I am getting off track here. This is a passionate subject for me in case you cannot tell :) but it is controversial, too. There are women who cannot take estrogen for sure, but more women than not can take some supplementation according to my research. And, why more women are not told of the healthful benefits of adding Bio Progesterone is beyone me.

"Wisdom of Menopause" is a great resource and gives many options and explanations...whether you take hormonal supplementation or not.

Late for work :)))

Mary
I am 38 and had 2 laparotomies in 2 years.  The 2nd was last April and I started MAJOR hot flashes the day after surgery.  I am on a very low dose of hormones.  My Doc says not to worry.........I still worry.  It's a hard decision..............  If I didn't have hot flashes or night sweats or insomnia, I would not have chosen HRT.

Good luck and good health.
I have opted for HRT largely for the osteo prevention and other aging aspects too including the foggy headedness associated with loss of progesterone (I think I got that the right way round). Quality of life is important and I couldn't imagine dealing with the hot flushes and night sweats I was having for another 50 years (I am only 32). I am taking the lowest I can and am checking out the Bio options. The bio patch didn't agree with me (I have very sensitive skin which reacts to adhesives and I ended up with lovely red hexagons whereever I put it!) There is a low dose BioIdentical vaginal ring for eostrogen replacement that seems interesting as it is a very low dose but it is too new to have much data.
One thing you can do is to get your tumours checked for eostrogen receptor activity. If your tumours were highly eostrogen receptor actiev then in threory increased oestrogen will have a negative result. OVCA related to Breast Cancer (e.g. through BRAC gene) will likely be highly active. But if the activity is low then the risk is not greatly increased.
Remember also that for young women, the birth control pill/hormones was found to be protective and had almost the reverse risks to older menapusal women. So what the risk factors are for young women in surgical menapause is a difficult one and there is little to no data on this.
As Mary said earlier, do your own research and be open minded and formulate your own thoughts and plan that you feel comfortable with. If you ask 10 doctors you will get 10 different answers and many wont actually be based on more than rumour ( as they often wont have actually done any research).
I have spent a fair bit of time researching this and I do feel empowered. Your life - your decision.
I am 38 years old and have problem with my periods my whole life. I have had 4 kids and I am finally at my witts end. I have bled now for  3 months straight. My doctor has scheduled me for a complete hysterectomy next month, He is taking everything ovaries and appendixs. He said they sometimes do that just to have one less thing to worry about later. I m a little concerned about the hormone therapy afterwards. He told me he could give me a pill or patch. Does anyone have any suggestions for which is best?
I am sorry that you are having to go through this. You probably did not come here looking for opinions, but suggestions. However, I have not been able to get your post out of my mind since I got home from work and read this.

It sounds like you trust your doctor...always a good thing. But, have you had a second or even a third opinion? I obviously don't know your GYN history, but from the things I do know just in general, it sounds as if your body is out of whack hormonally.

The hysterectomy just sounds like such a drastic measure to me. I think I am finished with sugar coating my message...Surgical menopause stinks. Having said that, practically all women on this forum have not had much of a choice regarding this issue since once cancer is found...they usually take everything.

And, then there is the whole controversy regarding hormonal therapy and the tragic job the media has done scaring women half to death by lumping all hormones into one category and calling all of them "bad" even though there are some good alternatives out there.

I use three hormones and pay about $100.00 a month for them (and that is with help from insurance)...have for 7 years and will for the rest of my life. I don't use HRT synthetic drugs, but instead, bioidentical estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. The Progesterone is the critical one in my opinion, but it is not able to be patented since once it gets in our body it acts the same as the progesterone we've produced naturally. So, doctors often don't have much information on this, or they have misinformation on it since Progesterone is often confused with the icky Progestins that are used in birth control pills and Provera and Prempro. And, many doctors think you don't need the hormone if you don't have a uterus.....EEEK!!!!  We have receptors for this hormone in our brains, our lungs, etc. It helps alleviate foggy thinking, bone loss, soft tissue joint/muscle pains, etc.

PLEASE research this further before you make a final decision. Given that not all women do not respond equally to the removal of the ovaries (and, remember that even the uterus produces hormones) not all are going to suffer in the same way, but this only makes matters more confusing.

Two years ago I suffered for six months with horrible leg cramps. It was not until I was tested and found that my levels of Progesterone were too low (even though I'd supplemented with this for years) and the leg cramps were a symtom of that. But, it took trial and error to figure this out and actually I had to figure this out on my own. A new hormone specialist had changed my script for progesterone from a cream to an oral product and it was then that I started having problems.

This doctor suggested that this was all in my head and that raising my level of progesterone, and changing from an oral bioidentical back to a cream bioidentical was not going to help. Luckily, I listened to my instinct...changed "hormone specialist" doctors and after my last visit with him, I ran to the store to get some over the counter progesterone cream just to try to kick start replenishing the hormone I was so low in...and, honestly, the help was almost instant. Leg cramps gone. If I'd waited longer, it would have taken longer for the levels of this hormone to build back up. I now see an awesome specialist and in fact have had to go to a rather high dose of progesterone just to keep me sane.

OK....lots of info here. If you add a profile to your name on this site, your name will turn blue and you can exchange messages with others...check your old posts, etc. I encourage you to try it. I was resistant at first, but now I really see the advantages having a profile.

I named some resources that might prove to be helpful for you. They are listed on my profile if you want to check them out.

Good luck to you. I do hope you start to feel well again soon.

Mary
Hi, I had a TAH at age 34 due to being diagnosed with borderline ovca a year and half earlier.  My surgeon said he wouldn't do the surgery unless I took ET.  I said I wouldn't have the surgery unless he let me make the decision!  I won!  I choose not to have ET.  I'm overweight and estrogren stores away in fat cells.  I'm 39 now and still very rarely have hot flashes, even then there are not severe.  I maybe have a hot flash once every 2-3 months. The only thing I really do notice, is at night, I do get warm at night, but an open window helps with that.   I saw a menapause specialist at the urging of my sis-in-law.  This dr wanted me on a high dose of ET, testosterone, and something else I don't remember.  She told me I wouldn't be able to function in my job without it.  I'm doing just fine.  My family dr is supportive.  If I don't have major symptoms, he agress with me, why should I take it.  I'm careful to take extra calcium and vitamin D, I also had a baseline bone density test done.   I'm happy with my decision.  But the decision is personal, and you have to weigh the pros and cons.  If you find it tough for you, you could always go on a low dose of ET and see how it goes.  Or try the bioidentical hormones, or other therapies out there for helping menapause symptoms.  

Take care,
Debbie
Oh by the way, I don't think my voice turned manly, and I do get one or two stubborn chin hairs a month, but tweezers are good for that!
I agree that using ET (estrogen therapy...synthetic) is not a good idea. Most women do not handle the extra molecule that makes the synthetic estrogen the synthetic that it is well and that is when the awful side effects as well as the estrogen dominance (Estrogen, no matter the source, needs to be balanced with Bioidentical or Botanical Progesterone) can cause all sorts of havoc and actually don't address the problems you have after a surgical menopause but only mask the problems with drugs. The synthetics were made to be unlike what our body would normally produce so that they could be patented since bioidentical hormones cannot be patented. The bioidenticals have been around since the 1950's but only more recently were they able to be forumlated in a manner that was much less expensive than they were origionally...thus gaining popularity and causing the big pharmaceutical industries to lose money. This is why Wyeth is constantly trying to cause an uproar about the Bio's and trying to get the FDA to pull them.  

Just today I got a message forwarded to me that the Head Courts are now getting involved with all of this and wanting to monitor the FDA more closely since (in some cases such as in the case of Wyeth trying to encourage the FDA to ban Estriol, a very weak and safe estrogen that is balanced with Progesterone to help women survive surgical menopause as well as for those having difficulty with natural menopause). Sorry...getting off track here. I have written letters to Congress this week about all this and I am a bit enraged about all the misinformation that is given to women regarding the hormone situation.

And, I am sorry that you, Chelan, were given bad information, too, by a so-called Menopause expert. This is not the first time I have heard of this...I have a friend who went to a Menopause expert and was given the same synthetic, non-balanced run around. And, when Katie Couric did the special on Menopause and its treatments two years ago, the "Director of the Menopause Society" actually admited he'd made a false statement when he said that the Synthetics and the Bioidentical hormones were exactly the same. He retracted the statement the day after the two-day series ended. Oh, and then it was revealed that the "Society" he belonged to is supported by Wyeth...the makers of Premarin and Prempro. Hmmm.

Based on hereditary and how many children one has had...body types...environmental issues...yes, there will be differences regarding reactions to radical hysterectomies (ovaries removed), but if you start to see a rise in cholesterol...blood sugar issues, cravings, bone loss, thyroid issues, difficulty thinking and concentrating (all progesterone issues...most progesterone cell receptors are in the brain, thus the trouble with foggy thinking, but they are also in the throat...allergies...asthma *sp?* ...and in the lungs), clumsiness and chemical sensitivities (a testosterone issue) I would suggest you run to an expert but make sure it is someone who understands the Bioidentical hormones. You still need a prescription to use them...and, although for years the idea was that we woud go by symptoms not blood or saliva tests, I do a blood test about every three to four months to make sure my levels are balanced.

Before I added the progesterone to my regimen I had bone loss and did not know it. I have worked out since 1982. But, a year after my hysterectomy, I fell and broke my wrist which prompted a bone density test and sure enough I was in osteopenia. I was able to reverse this by adding the progesterone, which I was in the process of studying anyway, and added more weight lifting and magnesium and Vit. D.

This is a huge topic. Keep the door open to any information you can gain from continuing to research this topic.

Mary
I had a hysterecomy at 27 because of endemetrosis.  Was put on premarin because of how "young" I was.  In my 50th year (2005) I developed back pain.  CAT scan revealed 2nd stage OC.  I had had both Ovaries removed at age 27 but tumors were where my ovaries had been.  Still call it O.C.  Had one tumor removed and the other one drained. (Too close to vital organs to remove)  followed by 6 months of chemo.  At the time the O.C. was discovered the doctor took me off the premarin.  In September 2005 after chemo treatments the doctor put me on premarin cream for dryness, etc.  By Jan 2006 tumor growing again had to have radiation.  Shrunk tumor, but again was put on the cream and testostrane gel.....
Aug 2007 a tumor developed in Vagina (had bleeding) that was removed and it was cancer.  At the same time the original tumor growing again and it has matastisted to lungs.  Had another round of radiation and now having chemo again.  Having CAT scan Mar 3 to see if it is helping.  I feel a lot has to do with estrogen.  I just know if I had to do it all over again I would never have gone on HRT at 27.  Everyone is different and everyone's body reacts different to things.  I'm hoping this last treatments will shrink the tumors.  I know I will not go anyhere near estrogen again.
Prayers and best thoughts to you all
I had a total hysterectomy 3 yrs ago for ovca . My dr refused to put me on hrt. When I complained about the hotflashes and mood swings he gave me a drug that is usually used for  depression call effexor xr  it worked wonders my hotflashes were not anywhere near as bad and my mood swings were almost  completely gone . I stayed on it for about 6 months then stopped taking it . Now I have occasional hotflashes but they are tolerable.  So ask your Dr about effexor xr.

Bonnie
Just adding to the good comments from the other ladies.  This is only my opinion.  I think for one thing you are too young for a hysterectomy, and no way should they be taking your ovaries.  I am so fed up with this attitude of "Ah what the heck, take the uterus out, she's having heavy bleeding, and while we are there, take a few other organs we doctors don't care about, just in case they might become cancerous".  This is RIDICULOUS.  Surely to goodness your doctor (or ANOTHER DOCTOR) could take some time and try to figure out WHY you are having the bleeding problems.  You could have a hormone imbalance.  You could have fibroids.  NEITHER require removal of the uterus.   Maybe you need some bioidentical Progesterone.   I think our organs should be left intact unless we have cancer.  Your uterus is an organ that keeps everything else in place.  It helps support your bladder.  Your ovaries affect mental health later in life, and bone health.   I can sense that you are resigned to having the surgery, but I sure wish you could delay it and explore some alternatives.  NEITHER the patch or the pill or any other drug will ever, ever be able to replicate what your body does naturally.  You will never be the same again.  The surgery takes all of 20 minutes, and the effects last til the day you die.  Did they tell you some of the things that can happen?  How not having ovaries can affect you?  I can't believe I am saying this, but google the HERS Foundation.   Some women really regret the surgery.  I wish you all the best.
Katie
This is where I am confused. I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and my doctor thinks I should go on HRT. I don't have to if I don't want to, which I really don't want to take any hormones. My concern is will I be ok without the hormones? I see some women here don't take them and some do take them.

To the ones that don't take them - How do you feel mentally and physically?
Sorry if I missed this previously, but, can I ask, how old are you and why did you have the surgery?  
Also, why do you not want to take hormones?  
Did you ask your doctor why he thought you should, and, what kind he recommended? And finally, do you understand the differences in the hormones that are currently available?  
Not to drive you nuts, but there are different answers to the questions.
The whole issue is really really overwhelming and can be quite scary.  
Your body will still have some natural hormones for a while.   Don't panic!
Best wishes
Katie
I can't believe either that you recommended that foundation, considering the previous controversy of that foundation on this site.  Skyda wasn't asking for opinions on whether she should have a hysterectomy but about which hormones she should take.  
I'm surprised at your turnaround in this area.  Maybe you could share why you've changed your opinion over the last couple of years.

Sincerely,
Debbie

Hi and I know we go a long way back. I would never presume to say I know what another person is thinking and I know Katie well enough to know she can answer for herself regarding you question. I also understand why you asked it (again, I am assuming here) but, I may in fact be the one who steered her back to the foundation. Someone mentioned it on the new Hysterectomy forum on this site and Katie and I were both appalled that someone would even mention it. But, I figured that much time had passed since our problems with that group and so I checked out the website. I will say I was pleased that they seem to have "cleaned up" their act, if you will. When they were on the this website, first of all, it looked as if this was a place to go if you'd had a hysterectomy whereas their mission was to offer alternatives to Hysterectomy. You remember that the name of the forum changed before they exited the site altogether.

The OVCA site became involved when a group of us went over to the forum run by the HERS foundation after I was attacked when I offered some resources to a woman who was in the throws of surgical menopause. I recall we were all up in arms about that group. And, so I do recall that all of us were aware and very upset about the foundation, but I think it had more to do with HOW they responded to women's questions. We all know that at the time the wording was rude and harsh. But, I guess I am a believer in second chances and lately I have been very frustrated for many reasons regarding the treatment of women in the health field but particularly the treatment of women regarding hysterectomies...finding a rather nonchalant attitude...the "you don't need those organs anyway" type of reaction that I read about again and again.

I am going into my 8th years post-hysterectomy (radical) and fight all the time to stay balanced hormonally so that the symptoms don't get the best of me. I know when I am out of balance when my legs cramp uncontrollably, when my eyes need drops several times a day due to dryness, the battle I think I have won regarding vaginal atrophy with a possibility of having bladder surgery, the lack of concentration and dizziness that I still battle periodically and yet I know that perhaps they are not as bad as they could be because of the doctor supervised Bio hormonal treatments I use. Thanks to the hormones my cholesterol is good..thyroid is in control...bone health is just okay...fatigue is not a huge problem...and, on the job I can shut down after the kids leave (I teach) since I often have trouble stringing a sentence together after 2pm. I have studied this hormone thing for 8 years and feel  I have a very good handle on it, but I know that not everyone has devoted as much time to this subject and so I am happy to share my experiences with people going through menopause, surgical or otherwise. But, why should one have to study for 8 years? Why is this a well-kept secret? Why all the mis-information, the lack of education regarding safe hormonal or supplemental health, as well as the lack of education regarding various treatments for women that may help a woman avoid a hysterectomy in the first place...and, the consequences/help they should know about after such a surgery.

I wanted to address the comment you made about the poster not wanting an opinion about whether or not to have the hysterectomy. I respect greatly what you say. I really do. I will be honest, too, and say that for the first time in 8 years I responded to someone saying what I said to that poster..." I know you did not come on here looking for opinions but rather suggestions" and then I went on to give my opinion about her having a hysterectomy. Chalk that up to frustration on my part.I respect everyone's right to making their own decision of course, but, I also sense that many of us are not strongly encouraged enough to get another opinion ....I was apologized to by both my Oncologist and my regular OB/GYN after my surgery. They literally told me that they'd used the "Sledgehammer" approach on me. Geez. However, I am not sure I would have done things differently. Having said that...I will say that if I can get one person to evaluate this decision when there may be other less harsh ways of handling a GYN problem...then I will be content. And, gosh...I will say it in a way that will be kind I hope. I noticed there was no shaming on the new HERS foundation site...and, I certainly would never shame anyone either. But, I look at my life before Hysterectomy and After hysterectomy and just keep plodding along.

Thanks for your time. Again, I apologize for answering for Katie....(Katie will forgive me) but I know that neither she nor I intend to offend anyone, but for some reason, this post hit our passion button, if you will.

Take care,

Sincerely,
Mary
Well, it hits my passion button as well.  I choose to have a hysterectomy, it was a hard decision and I made it knowing the ins and outs.  I know I wouldn't appreciate someone second guessing my decision, and although I don't want to speak for someone else either, I recognized that Skyda was not asking for opinions on her hysterectomy.  It just reminded me of a time when someone from that foundation was "butting" in and bullying women from difficult decisions already made.  I don't want anyone to feel bullied coming to this site.  I'm one of the few that have been here the longest and appreciate the sharing nature we all have.  I share my experience and try to leave the decisions up to the person.
I guess we have different opinions on what happened here a while ago.  We'll have to leave it at that.
Regards,
Debbie
Debbie,

I do want to add a few things...and, I am with you on protecting the nature of this forum. I, too, have been here a very long time and I totally resent any bullying. I am sorry if what I said seemed to sound bullying in anyway. That was the furthest from my intent.

I also chose to have a hysterectomy. My doctor and I agreed that I would be a fool not to. I was dx. with cancer. I can read my words over, but I certainly know that I would never second guess anyone's decision and since she'd not had the surgery yet, I did not think I was doing that. In fact,  that was my beef with the HERS foundation when they were on this site two years ago. They were ridiculing women for having had the surgery and that was uncalled for in my mind. I just really was hoping to send a message encouraging the poster to get another another opinion, but perhaps I did not word it appropriately.

I also understand that we all are passionate about this subject, and if I offended anyone regarding this then maybe in my case the passion directed me that way. I have also spent approximately 5 hours this weekend writing or talking to women with questions about the hormone issue...so this whole hysterectomy thing is on my mind big time.

If I worded myself inaccurately, do I dare throw in the excuse that a 17 year old girl was chasing after me last week at the Day treatment facility where I work....very angry that I'd given her an assignment that was one page longer than she'd thought it should be!!!! Hiding in my boss' office from an irate teenager is not my idea of a good week!  First time this type of thing has happened in four years. And, my spouse has been working on a project for the past 5 weeks and I have not seen him for dinner except for two times in the last 5 weeks including most weekend nights. Perhaps I am spending too much spare time at the computer???

I look at this site as a safe haven and don't want to leave it that I have created controversy....I chose my words carefully in an attempt not to offend. Looks like I've said too much already.

Good Night for now.

Mary

Thank you to Mary, and I appreciate the time she put into that response.  

Debbie I understood when I read you said you couldn’t believe I recommended that site.  I know what you mean.  But over time I have changed my opinion a little about them, or at least what they are trying to say.  Everyone is entitled to change their mind!  I am still leery of their presentation but…..it is the one site that I can think of that does actually try to present the other side of the issue.

After two years since my surgery, sure, I could just say “Oh whatever, go for it, every woman on the planet can have her uterus and ovaries yanked out, what do I care, big deal, it’s not my problem” and I could go have a glass of wine and watch Harrison Ford with Barbara Walters.  

BUT I believe women are still having this surgery without being properly informed.

Sure I still take exception to the way we were spoken to by supposed representatives of the HERS Foundation, most definitely.  But referring women to the Dr Northrup site is perhaps too broad.  HERS is a bit more focused on the one issue.  

Debbie, if my memory serves me correctly (my memory is not as good since having my ovaries removed) you had an early stage cancer (and I am very very sorry that you did).  I think there is a big difference right there.

Yes Skyda was only asking about hormones, but, I can’t help but wonder if maybe she is rushing into it… as so many countless other women have.  And continue to do.   I think a lot of us just get railroaded into it.    Just do your research, is all I ask.

Of course Mary nor I would never bully anyone here.  I am surprised that you would imply anyone is being "bullied".  Good grief.  Mary is very tender and caring and sensitive.  

I just think that if someone doesn’t have cancer, and it is not suspected that they might, they should explore alternatives while they still have the chance.  

Like I said, no artificial hormone system will ever replicate your own.  I know Debbie I have read that you feel that having excess weight keeps your hormone supply adequate, and that's great for you.  I am really honestly happy for you.  That doesn't work for me.  
I would love to have my parts back if I could!!!  ;-(

Very best wishes, as always,
Katie
To clarify, I never thought Mary was bulling anyone, and I apologize if my post came off like that.  Katie, can't say that for you just reminded me to much about the rep from HERS.  
By the way, I had borderline ovca, which most drs now not recommending hysterectomies for.  I choose to have one.
Guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

Take care.
Debbie
Hello Ladies....I have been here since the birth of this forum.....actually, I named this forum.  Saying that, I would like to remind all of us why we are here.  We are here to share experiences, knowledge, and support.  We are also here to offer suggestions and alternatives.  
I am having a little difficulty understanding what exactly is going on here.
We offer suggestions, alternatives and share knowledge and experiences all the time.  That is a good thing.   I can't imagine there is one of us who comes here regularly that would not suggest a second opinion in any case.  
Unfortunately it is often not made clear ro a woman that there is  more than one option in treatment for her malady.  Look at how many of us seasoned vets have so little understanding about bio-identical hormones!  We need eachohter to remind eachother there might be another way to deal with our situation....whether it is co-Q10, or mushrooms, or tea, or vitamins, etc.etc....chest ports, abdominal ports, carbo, taxol, avastin, cisplatin....on and on we go.  We are eachother's support and educational system....asking a question should not present a threat any more than opening an alternative door.
I think you are all wonderful caring women.  I respect each of you and admire your passion.  Those who come here as "new-bees" are drenched in our sage experiences and benefit tremendously from our past experiences.
When we are able to get a woman to see a gyn/onc and have him/her perform surgery that is an incredible accomplishment.....if  we can open a door offering a less traumatic and more natural treatment for a symptom.....well that would be a wonderful accomplishment as well.  Knowledge is always a good thing.
So, let's keep supporting and educating eachother (and anyone else who we cana get to listen!)....you are all my ffriends and sisters. I love you all.
Peace.
dian
I plead Chemo brain, and fuzzy brain, and hormones out of balance.....I don't know what or how it happened but I was confused thinking I was on another site...please forgive me...but, I still mean the things I said about this site and the women here.
Peace.
dian
I certainly agree with you, BUT there is a way to SAY what you mean without coming across heavy handed and a few have not been doing that and reminded me of a time when this place was a horrible place to be - I didn't want to go back there.

Debbie
In the year and a half that I have been coming to this forum I have found the majority of the posts very helpful.  Not everyone has the ability to phrase their comments in terms that ALL can understand,  they do the best they can,  please do not condemn any of us, for doing the best we can, to pass on knowledge we have gained in facing this damn disease.  There are so many different ways to approach treatments offered by the medical community and also from those that have tried and found what worked for them.  I know that I am not the only one that does hours of research on various paths open to us,  I have never read a post on here that stated I had to absolutely follow those directions, I have always found a suggestion to be a matter of choice. The only true expert on this forum is the person that has conquered OVCA and is free from the disease.  I do not consider myself an expert, but I am better informed now than I was when I first came here. I thank each and everyone of you for passing on your knowledge to me, it just might help me, help my daughter live out her life  in a much better way.
I am 50 years old and I had a total hysterectomy on February 4, 2008. I didn't want one, but my doctor said it was necessary.  He gave me the Vivelle dot (0.1) patch to use. I don't want to use this because of all the bad things I have heard. I have had been using the progesterone cream for the last year or so and taking calcium supplements.  I believe I had begun going through the change, getting hot during the day, a few night sweats, my periods changed, missed a month here and there and were very heavy when I did have them.  I have read all the posts and didn't realize the Vivelle Dot was something different. My doctor told me I could wait to start using them until my appointment the end of this month. He said he would see how I was doing and I could hold off a while if I didn't feel I needed them.  I am really confused on whether to use them or not. It seems I have equal amounts of friend/family who do and don't take them so I have cannot decide one way or the other. I was hoping that Mary 53 could help me or get me heading the right directions to see what it is I should do.  I look forward to your post. Thanks, Carol

I want to steer you to my profile. I have a ton of information there and I named the resources that were (and are) so very helpful to me regarding the hormone issue.

I also just posted more (exhaustive ...sorry!) information on the journal. If you click on my name, you should be able to click onto my profile. Then you will see where it says journal (read the profile, too, if you wish...) and then click "view journal" ..I think that is what is says. Then where you see 7 comments (or whatever the number is) click on that and all of the entries will show up. Some people have been leaving general questions and/or comments there.

Also, can I encourage you to go "blue"?  I resisted forever....I have posted for quite some time now, but I finally put up a profile and went "blue"..and I am very glad that I did. I am not sure you can leave a comment on the journal unless you have a profile...and, I probably raised more questions than I answered....so, I would love to hear from you if you go blue!  

Hope to hear from you again as you wade through this hormone (I hate to say 'mess' but you know what I mean!)

SIncerely,

Mary
I was just playing around with my journal view to make sure I gave you the correct information as to how you can access all of the journal info including comments, etc. If you have problems getting to the "comments" section, please let me know. I am getting better at navigating all of the features of the site including my profile info, but sometimes may not explain it well..or I figure out another way to get to the information. You should be able to read all of the info and not just the general comments.

Take care,

Mary
HI EVERYONE, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME VISITING THIS FORUM.   I COULD REALLY USE SOME GOOD ADVICE.  MY NAME IS MICHELE, AND I AM IN THE HOSPITAL RIGHT NOW RECOVERINGFROM A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY.  I AM 37 YEARS OLD. I HAVE A FAMILY HISTORY OF OVARIAN CANCER AND A PERSONAL HISTORY OF FEMALE PROBLEMS FROM THE FIRST DAY WHEN I GOT MY PERIOD AT AGE 16, I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ENDOMETRIOSIS.  AT AGE 21, I HAD MY FIRST LAPOROSCOPY TO REMOVE 2 4CM CYSTS ON MY OVARIES.  THEY WERE BENIGN.  ATE AGE 24, GOT EARLY CERVICAL CANCER, AGE 28, 2ND LAPOROSCOPY TO REMOVE 3.8 CM CYST.  HAF 4YRS OF INFERTILITY, FINALLY AT AGE 31 GAVE BIRTH TO MY SON.  WHEN HE WAS 12MONTHS, CERVICAL CANCER CAME BACK, HAD TO HAVE LEAP SURGERY.  6WKS AFTER, I CONCEIVED MY DAUGHTER?!   WHEN SHE WAS 14MONTHS, I HAD 2.6 CM CYST ON LEFT OVARY, THIS TIME IT FELT DIFFERENT.  I WAS EXTREMELY BLOATED, HAD HEARTBURN AND NAUSEA, NO ONE WOULD REMOVE MY OVARY BECAUSE I WAS ONLY 34, FINALLY FOUNF AN ONCOLOGIST WHO EXAMINED ME, AND I WAS IN SURGERY THE NEXT WEEK.  THEY FOUNF 4 MICROSCROPIC TUMORS INSIDE THE LEFT TUBE, 2 CYSTS INSIDE THE FOLLICLE, AND ONE ON THE OUTSIDE.  i GOT INTO SURGERY QUICKLY AFTER I WAS EXPERIENCING O.C.SYMPTOMS, LUCKILY, EVERYTHING WAS BENIGN.  6MONTHS AFTER THE REMOVAL OF MY LEFT TUBE AND OVARY, I STARTED GETTING CYSTS ON MY RIGHT OVARY.  WENT BACK TO THE SAME ONCOLOGIST BEGGING FOR A HYSTERECTOMY BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO GET OVZRIAN CANCER.  HE WOULD NOT DO IT BECAUSE OF MY AGE.  2 MONTHS LATER I CONCEIVED MY THIRD MIRACLE BABY.  WHEN SHE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD, I STARTED GETTING CYSTS AGAIN, WENT IN FOR A SECOND OPINION, AND HERE I AM IN THE HOSPITAL.  THEY TOOK EVEYTHING OUT EXCEPT FOR MY APPENDIX.  THERE WAS A 3CM CYST AND TWO SMALL CYSTS IN THE FOLLICLE.  MY ONCOLOGIST DOES NOT BELIEVE THAT IT'S CANCER, HOWEVER, WE WON'T KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL TH PATHOLOGY REPORT COMES BACK NEXT WEEK.  I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING.  I WANT TO BE ALIVE TO RAISE MY BABIES.  NOW, DO I TAKE THE NATURAL BIOIDENTICAL HORMONES THAT MY ONCOLOGIST PRESCRIBED RIGHT AWAY?  HE PRESCRIBED E2 AND E3 {ESTRIOL,ESTRADIOL} AND 50MG OF NATURAL PROGESTERONE.  I'M CONFUSED ON THIS.  THE DOCTOR HERE AT THE HOSPITAL SAID THAT I DON'T NEED TO TAKE THE PROGESTERONE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MY UTERUS, IT'S NOT NECESSARY.  THE PHARMACIST TELLS MR THAT ANYONE WITH A FAMILY HISTORY OF BREAST OR OVARIAN SHOULDMNOT TAKE ANY ESTROGEN WHATSSOEVER, THAT I SHOULD JUST TAKE THE NATURAL PROGESTERONE.  I LOOK VERY YOUNG FOR MY AGE AND DON'T WANT TO AGE QUICKLY, NOWTHAT I DON'T HAVE MY OVARIES.  I DID TAKE THE SMALL NATURAL DOSAGE OF ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE THE DAY AFTER MY SURGERY.  IS IT NORMAL TO ALREADY FEEL HOT AND STICKY THE DAY AFTER HYSTERECTOMY?   AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING TAKING THE HORMONES?  HELP!  THANK YOU- MICHELEJANINE
I posted a while back you will see it,;  I feel all my problems have been the result of estrogen replacement.  I had endemetreosis as well and was told 25 years ago that I didn't need to be on progestrone because of my uterus being removed.  My ovaries were also removed.  I still have my cervix  as they couldn't remove it because of the endemetrosis.  I was put on premarin only but they waited a year after my surgery because they wanted to make sure "all the endemetreosis was gone"  Being dx with OC in 2005, they claim that some tissue must have been still there and being on hormones all these years fed on it.  As I said before everyone's body reacts differently.  But if I had to do it over again I would never have gone on anything.
Pretty name, by the way.

I have to go out of town for a few days but just wanted to say that I wish I'd had your doctor. My oncologist put me on the Vivelle Patch (bioidentical estrodial...there are about a hundred different types of estrogens but I was glad to be on the estrodial. I did use a little estriol mixed with estrodial a few years later and I liked it, but the estrodial only worked best for me). HOWEVER...and this is HUGE...IN MY OPINION (and in the opinion of researchers who have fortunately have done much research ...this stuff came out in the 1950's) the biggest culprit (and I wish I had a ton more time right now) is that not enough people know about the Progesterone. For your doctor to prescribe that is smart (I work in mental health..I am not a doctor although I regret not going to med school since this whole area of women's health is in such chaos as far as I am concerned).

I have been told, too, that I do not need the progesterone because I don't have uterus. I could SCREAM when I hear that. Most of the cell receptors for this essential hormone are in our brain, with some being in the lungs, etc. So, Foggy thinking...brain fog, whatever you want to call it..I suffered from this as soon as I stopped ovulating since I was not making progesterone when I was not ovulating (perimenopause...that is what I was in when they took everything throwing me into a surgical menopause). About two months after starting the progesterone I literally felt the fog lift. It was incredible for me. I also get horrid leg cramps and when I am low in progesterone my body goes crazy. If not for the progesterone, I don't know what I would do.

It takes about three months for the progesterone to totally leave your system and so you might not feel the effects of the loss right away unless you had been in preimenopause which I doubt you were given your age. Please arm yourself with info.

I agree with the poster about the premarin. When given that drug, the body continues to be in a state of estrogen dominance which only continues to cause all sorts of problems. It is also a drug that the body does not recognize and most women do not do well on the drug. It was produced in response to the bioidenticals so that it could be a patented item by the pharmaceutical companies...since the bio's cannot be pattented. Sorry...this is a passionate subject for me.

The theory as to why I had such cervical dysplasia (Had the leep procedure two years before my ovarian cancer dx) and the malignant cells in a cyst that was drained that led to the hysterectomy is that the estrogen sort of took over. If only I'd known then.....I may have been able to protect myself but then you know what they say about hindsight.

I use the bio estrogen so that my receptor sites for the progesterone will stay open and for several other reasons, but I stay balanced regarding the ratio of the bio estrogen to the bio progesterone. Estrogen in and of itself is not a bad hormone. It is what makes us female. But, it is a delicate dance. Your body will continue to make estrogen regardless of whether you have ovaries or not since it will be made by the fat stores and come off as a by-product called Estrone. This is considered a harsh estrogen and even though it will sustain itself at a lower level than before your ovaries were producing the hormone, you will still be in estrogen dominance, if you will. This is another reason I use the estodial which is not as harsh and is the estrogen we had cursing through our bodies while we were in our twenties. Oh, I also use testosterone.

OK...I had better stop. Please see my profile to read more. I just recently added comments to my journal. Play around with the "12 comment" section (It was tricky for me to get it the other day, but I got it...just taking time to get used to the format) and read the question/answer part that some of the other women and I have been tossing about. I also have some resources written in my profile that have proved to be most helpful to me as I continue on this hormonal journey for the eigth year now....

Also, consider going "blue" so that you can have a profile and so that you can respond to the journals of others...leave messages, check posts, etc. You can put down as much or as little info as you wish but at least you will have a profile. Makes life easier here on MedHelp.

I will be gone for few days and will check in later, though.

Take care, Mary
HI SUZY-
THNK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING TO MY POST.  I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH!  MY GOOD THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.  IT'S SO CRAZY THAT YOUR TUMORS WERE RIGHT WHERE YOUR OVARIES HAD BEEN.  THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY FEAR THAT MAYBEE THE SURGEON LEFT A LITTLE TISSUE, THAT COULD TURN CANCEROUS?  HOWEVER, WE CAN'T DWELL ON THE UNKNOWN OR WE WILL GO COO COO!  I BELIEVE IN MY EVERY BEING THAT I DID THE RIGHT THING, NOW I JUST HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO NOW THAT IM IN SURGICAL MENOPAUSE AT 37!
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND STAY STRONG AND POSITIVE!  YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!
MICHELEJANINE
HI MARY-
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING BACK TO ME.  I'M LEAVING THE HOSPITAL TODAY.  I'M STILL VERY SORE AND WILL BE GOING HOME TO MY TWO TODDLERS AND BABY.  THIS WILL BE INTERESTING!  THANK GOODNESS MY HUSBAND TOOK THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS OFF OF WORK TO HELP ME!  I NOW HAVE A LOT OF READING AND RESEARCHINGTO DO NOW THAT I AM IN SURGICAL MENOPAUSE!  I DEFINATELY WOULD NEVER TAKE THE SYNTHETIC HRT, HOWEVER, I KNOW BEING MY AGE I STILL NEED TO BE HORMONALLY BALANCED SO I DONT GO COO COO!  LUCKILY, I HAVE A GOOD PSYCHIATRIST, ACCUPUNTURIST AND ONCOLOGIST.  I JUST HOPE I MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION REGARDING MY MENOPAUSE TREATMENT!
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND STAY POSITIVE!
LOVE MICHELEJANINE
HI MARY-
LOVE MICHELEJANINE
I just read your post..I too was an endo sufferer for many years starting at a very young age..after many cysts and problems I had to have a total hysterectomy last May.  I was also very worried about the hormones but I need to be balanced. I started right after my hysterectomy with the night sweats ..they are horrible..I will tell you after researching I am on a low dose of the vivelle-dot. I was on a higher dose but worked my way down to a low dose..I need to feel good today and cant worry about years from now..I am 41. The Dr also left my cervix...because it was hard to remove and they say it will hold the other organs into place. I was told that I dont need progestrone since I dont have a uterus. I just went to my Dr 2 weeks ago and she said that I am on a lower dose of estrogen than as if I had my ovaries so it is safe..it is also from a plant deritative which they say is better for us. Feel free to ask me any questions...Gia :)
Sorry to be in such a rush.

It took me 8 months to realize I needed the progesterone. Three months after the surgery I thought I was losing my mind. I researched and researche as I was told too that I did not need the progesterone. This is a fall out from the whole deal with the drug Premarin. They found that women needed PROGESTIN...Please note spelling....it is often confused with Progesterone..it is a synthetic progesterone. It is to protect the uterus for women on Premarin so they don't get the rare Uterine cancer. It is icky stuff in my mind. And, the reports substantiate this.

However, the Progesterone is the hormone that helps with anxiety, calmness, asthma (because of the receptors in the lungs) smooth muscles/joints ....Reason we get cramps during our periods was because of low to no progesterone....that is why when I am not on it, my legs constantly cramp. It also helps with bladder issues....

Please..(and I know I am passionate about my mission, but I do respect that people can decide for themselves) PLEASE read up on bio progesterone and arm yourself with knowledge.

I will add that I do not care for oral Progesterone (Prometrium) a bio oral. I just did not do well on it.

Northrup covers much of this including the deal on Prometrium in "Wisdom of Menopause".....

Going to a conference and ride is almost here...

Sincerely,

Mary
Hi Gia-
thanks for responding to my post.  Did they remove both of your ovaries?  Are you on the bioidentical form of estrogen?  If you are not taking any progesterone, how are your moods?   i'm really worried about going a little coo coo!  I started my natural hormone replacement the day after my surgery before i had any symptoms of menopause.  Do you think that was the right thing to do, or should i wait a liitl bit to see what my body does?  Just curious what other people suggest who have gone through surgical menopause before "their time"!
Thanks again-
Michelejanine
Hi Michelejanine - I had both ovaries removed along with everything but a piece of my cervix. I was put on the patch right after my surgery and still received hot flashes and night sweats. I have tried a 0.5 patch it is called vivelle-dot and it has worked so far. I am afraid of not being on anything as when I tried nothing I wasnt feeling good. I feel better on it and it is not a large dose..it is also from a plant deriative and I was told that it is better. You should ask your Dr for your options. My Doctors agreed that I needed to be on something as I was to young. My moods are okay..I notice when it is close to the time I need to change the patch my moods get worse so I try to change them the same time 2x a week. I wish I wasnt on anything but my Doctor assures me it is what I need and it is safe. Ask me any thing you want I am always here. Gia :)
P,S, Wishing you a speedy recovery.
My doctors will not allow me to take any type of HRT, bioidentical, over the counter none of it.  I know that this will upset Mary - it is something that we don't agree about, but, love eachother anyway as we are really hystersisters!!!!, my doctors have told me that there is no true medical testing or write ups regarding bioidentical hormones thus, we truly do not know what the long term results might be.  I had 2 separate surgies and was on bioidentical (estrodial) and due to what they believe were remnants from the surgeries, I developed cysts again....I was originally diagnosed stage 1A....so, having cysts right now makes me feel like a walking time bomb, but, then again, a 3rd surgery could hold higher risks. Am I surviving not taking any HRT, yes of course I am....could I be better and happier if I took them, probably, but, I do not know if I would be alive.
HRT is very personal and it is important that you discuss all your fears with your doctor and if  you are still unsure then go for another opinion.
Hi to all. Just got back from a great conference on Mental health and education in Day treatment for children. It was amazing.

Pam and I had surgery on the exact same days (slightly different types, but close enough..right, Pam?) back on September 13, 2000. I think we both have known since we met each other that we have agreed to disagree on this hormone issue, if you will and I am grateful that we have stayed friends. Dare I say, too, that if for whatever reason on earth you decide to use anything hormonally at some point...I would absolutely be here for you and would never say "I told you so."....  I just want to keep with encouraging all of you to do your own homework on this matter.

Ever since I took a Statistics class (which I was NOT looking forward to...and it almost stopped me from getting a Master's degree) I have become much more skeptical when people tell me things...that is why even though I go into the hormone issue ad nauseum, I of course continue women/men to keep doing the leg work necessary to get to the bottom of all of this....

Actually the bioidentical hormones have been studied since the 1950's. I just got home...would have to dig out two of my books, but I can give the references or at least guidelines to where the studies are located regarding the efficacy of these hormones. But, if any of you do decide to continue to research this, just keep in mind that you need to study the reason why it is CRITICAl to remain balanced in the hormonal area. As I count in my head right now, I have read 11 books on the matter of natural hormones and have spoken to 5 doctors on this (all in agreement on the effectiveness of the bio's and the safety as long as a woman is monitored and it is approved by their own doctor since you do need a prescription...and, yes, I know that some will be told not to use them, just make sure you understand why and know what you are asking for), pharmacists, studies on line, as well as testimonials by my sister, a nursing instructor and a published author on perimenopause, as well as myself and so it is not without research that I have approached this matter.

But, having said that, not all women will react the same to a surgical menopause and some will adjust better than others. Personally, I did not react well and I also know that when I am not on balanced hormonal bioidentical help, my blood sugar is affected, my cholesterol goes up, my joints ache, my bladder issues are horrendous, my legs cramp so badly that I can hardly bear it and the brain fog is just too much. But, again, depending on hereditary, number of children, etc, etc, Dr. Erika Schwartz  does a nice job explaining why we are in a bit of a hormonal crisis and also why certain women may need them and others may not have as high of a need although as Pam said, of course this is a personal choice. But if you monitor your health from the inside out, be mindful that hormones control so many bodily functions that you should always look to an imbalance (or lack of hormones) when things are not going well. You may or may not decide to use these of course, but arming yourself with knowledge will help you be more at peace with your decision...again, my opinion.

And, Pam, I am glad you responded. And, yes... I love you, too! Which is why I always respond back to you and hope that I don't sound like a totally broken record...I know  you looked into the progesterone once, but keep up the research and just compare notes as to how you felt then and how you feel now. AGAIN...MY OPINION here, but I would suspect that the lack of progesterone is what caused those darned cysts...that was the final suspicion in my case for the dysplasias and the ovarian cysts...I do think it is a shame that you were given the estrodial and not the progesterone...So, of course, I am not upset...frustrated probably because I do know you and I honestly want you to feel your best. I mean, I don't always feel my best, but I will not give up trying to feel as well as I can as long as I am confident in what I do, so if I can encourage you to check all of this out again...then, try as I might once more. Just trying to get the word out there that this could be the answer we are looking for. And, yes, of course I am careful to NEVER lay out any guarantees since medical science is not a perfect science, but for me what I have learned has improved my life to a certain extent.

Gotta go to the grocery store and get ready for tomorrow.....

Sincerely,

Mary
Hi Mary-
It's MicheleJanine.  How are you?  Thanks for all of your advice and resources.  I have been home from the hospital since sunday and am doing ok.  I was up till 3 in the morning last night going to all the site that you suggested.  I love my laptop!  I can just lay in bed and read read read!  Last night was the fifth night since my surgery and i woke up in a pool of water with my jammies stuck to my skin.  My first night sweat!  Oh it was lovely.  it hit me today that i am officially in menopause at 37.  I started taking my bio-estriadol and estriol and 50mg of progesterone the day after my surgery and thought that i would not get menopause symptoms.  Obviously i don't know eneough about menopause yet!  Does it take awhile for the hormones to kick in or do i need to change the dosage around?  I see my oncologist tomorrow and have been making my list of questions for him.  Tomorrow i will get the pathology report back and praying that no cancer cells will be found.  I probably won't sleep much tonight as i'm a little anxious about tomorrow.  Do you think the bio-estriadol patches are better?  I am taking a very low dose of oral estriadol and estriol.  After all that i read last night, creams, and patches seem to be better that oral doses?  I am soooo confused on what to take and what not to take.  I hate the idea of having to take any hormones, but because of my age i do feel it's important to be balanced for a few years.  I just want to make the right decisions.  Because of my family history of ovarian cancer, i am hesitant to even take estrogen hormines, even the natural ones.  I do feel that natural progesterone is important and ok to take.  In your opinion, would it be ok to only take natural progesterone, or do they need to be taken together for proper balance?  Also, since they removed everything, includiong the cervix, but they left the appendix.  Is all my hormonal tissue gone from my womb?  Or can my hormones still feed on something down there that could turn into cancer later down the road?  Just wondering.   I guess i'll just keep reading.  Also, I do believe prior to my hysterctomy, that i was perimenopausal, as i had my left tube and ovary removed in 05.  I began getting mid hot flashes and sweats, but not like the one i had last night!!  Also my last 6 periods kept coming earlier each month, when i was usually normal, day 29 or 20.  they were very heavy for 5-7 days.  my last few periods were day 20 thru 25.  Could I still be hormone tested tomorrow to see what my body is lacking, or will it not work because i don't have my organs anymore, and just had the surgery?  Thank you for always responding back to everyones questions.  You are truly a blessing to us all, as i am sure others will agree!
Hope you are feeling great today-
Thanks again,
MicheleJanine
I had a check up yesterday w/my primary care Doc and she noticed that I wrote down I was taking .625mg of Premarin and she is now concerned that I am not taking enough hormones to reduce the risk of osteoperosis (sp?) since I am only 38 yrs old.  This info confuses me even more........................  I am going to my Gyn in 2 weeks and talk to him (again) on what I should do.  Dr's sure know how to confuse me ............BLAH!!!!
I had a total hysterectomy about 5 years ago at the age of 53. I too was scared of all the things that might happen after. I wore a patch for a year and half and then started having bad hot flashes. The patch did not work at all so I stopped wearing it. I was worried my skin or hair would not be soft anymore but so far it's all okay. I am worried about my bones and I since I don't take any hormone therapy, I do weight lifting to build my bones. My libido went way down though and I am not sure how to restore it. The doctor was no help in that department. Now I can't sleep at all and it is driving me crazy. Anyone else have this problem? I have a lot of aches and pains and I am worried about that also. Lack of sleep is really affecting me and nothing seems to work. I have tried all the alternative stuff to make you sleep and nothing works so far. I hate taking medication and drugs, so was looking for something natural. The hot flashes and night sweats are not too bad. I only get hot flashes at work for some reason, never at home. The night sweats are mild and don't bother me much. I read many time sand the doctor also told me that if you have your ovaries out, menopause should only last about 2 years whereas a normal one could last up to 10 years. Hah!!! Ihave had menopause for 3 years now.
I have had my hysterectomy 9 days agao now and have not had any hot flashes yet.  I was dx with oc but in it very early stages,  (no chemo necess.)in fact the cyst that the tumor was in was benign.  The tumor they found is normally found in the intestines.  This DX was a shock to me as there is no history of this type of cancer in my family. Anyway, I am going crazy on what to do about the hormone issues.  I know for whenever I do get the hot flashes, I will be using Shaklee's Menapause complex  for the hot flases, etc. .  My OB/Gyn told me that as far as hormones go, that I would not need the progesterone since I no longer hav a uterus but would need Estrogen.  I would perfer to do this naturally as well.  Although, I wish I didn't have to take anything.  There seems to be sooo much info out there that it is really confusing.  And I want to do the right thing.  I will be going back to my OB in 3 weeks and we were going to discuss options.  I am just not sure he would be open to doing the natural hormones for me.

Barb 43
Hi to Mary and everyone! I need help! I had total hyst feb 2006. Since then, I have had constant infections of 1 kind or another. First, UTI;s for 6 months, now, just got over bronchitis/pnuemonia......I have so many symptoms, I am confused myself. I have been on HRT since the surgery but my body just wasnt liking them. I changed them 5 times now to vivelle dot patch 0.1 for about 5 montsh now. I still have soreness and pain in neck, back and leg muscles. I get real shaky and jittery , almost episodes. and i am SO SOSO tired all the time. No energy. Dr keeps giving me more meds, for anxiety, for depression, muslce relaxers, i feel "drugged" with reason! I am finding thru reading that I think I need progesterone but dr doesnt want to give it to me. I have felt liek **** since my surgery and I need to fix this. I have never been sick in my life, other than the common occasional stuff. I feel I am losing control. I have been tested for everything from Aids to Lupus and everything is normal but they have never tested by hormones..................they (Family Dr and Gyn, keep dismissing the idea that it could be hormones................i dont get it................so i taking charge of my body and I need all the info I can get. So............whew! I had to vent, i will check out the profiles so just needed some..............support I guess. Thanks for listening..............any advise would be great!
Wow, you poor thing. You wouldn't believe what I've been through trying to figure all of this out. There is so much misinformation out there. And, there is such controversy. And, half the time many doctors do not realize all that hormones do for us and that in many cases they can be used safely. But, it depends on so many factors... lifestyle, type of hormone, type of hormone delivery, blood work to make sure there is not an excess what-so-ever, etc. I hope someday this whole subject will be cleared up once and for all, but I know that is not going to happen any time soon. In the meantime, keep searching for answers that fit your needs and answers you are comfortable with, too.

There is a huge school of thought on the Progesterone issue. I, too, thought for years that I needed it and at first, it was very helpful for me. But as the estrogen was changed on me... and, the dose of that was lowered and the Progesterone was raised (particularly in the past two years), I felt worse and worse and baffled, too.

I found information that is of a smaller camp of believers that women without ovaries cannot utilize Progesterone. As I have weaned my body off of the progesterone and stayed only with Estradiol (considered the best choice for estrogen so your body does not resort to making Estrone ... a less safe estrogen than Estradiol..... Estrone is the menopausal body's estrogen that is the by-product of fat which the body will make because our bodies crave Estrogen) along with a little testosterone, I have started to feel whole again.

I have also reversed my bone loss and decreased my fatigue. I also have been able to walk again with comfort since my feet were paying a high price for the lack of optimal levels of estradiol in my system and I started to feel almost crippled this summer. Very scary for me. Frankly I am surprised I have had such results. I need to watch the levels of Estradiol and testosterone so that I do not have an excess (something that could get me into trouble) but I am very comfortable with what I do.

I have been following advice by Dr. Vliet, particularly from the book, "Screaming to be Heard." It is a huge book... and older, but it has been updated and is also the same info she gives on her website.

I will send you a private message. I see this is an older post, but I also know that since Medhelp has recently been putting tags down at the end of a thread to show related threads, it is going to be nearly impossible to keep old posts in the attic, so to speak:)

Mary
I had HYSTER Jan 07, lost both OVARIES,some small bowel,part of my stomach,Nov 08. I,ve had some HOT FLASHES not too bad yet, how about the FRIGID FLASHES?? I get so cold I can't get warm and then pow HOT FLASH.

Wow... I have not been on the forums for a few days and yet I thought I should check in tonight. I will have more time this weekend, but for now, I can say that I stand by the post I wrote just above your comments (the November post on this thread). I continue to get great relief following Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet's information. The Vivelle patch (Bioidentical estradiol) and testosterone, with No progesterone has been the way to go for me. I have fewer and fewer aches and pains in my legs and in my joints and my FEET. AMAZING. I thought I was heading for a life of NO walking... so much pain that came on this summer. There are soooooo many hormone connections involved with the two hormones I just mentioned (Estradiol is a type of estrogen and I will use ONLY that as a supplement from now on) that it baffles my mind.

I finally ordered my own copy of the book I recommended ("Screaming to be Heard") ... I had borrowed a copy from a friend and could not put it down. I continue to follow the advice in that book and am armed with info and results when I see my doctor in February.

The coldness you speak of can be related to Menopause for sure... thyroid issues and hormones and such. I spoke with another poster recently who found a ton of information in Vliet's book regarding this issue, too.

Hope you get some relief soon...

Mary
Thank you for replying so soon. I guess I'm off to the book store.I am so thankful you ladies are doing this. I've written down alot of info to take to the dr w/me. It's nice to know you're not alone.
I'll be reading!!
jorj
I just wanted to comment on some of the recommendations to the HERS foundation.  I was appalled at that forum.  My sister believed those ladies and could have died.  When she posted that her DR. told her she needed a hyst. because he believed she had OVCA, they offered no support, no advice, no kind words.  Many posts bashed her, insulted her, told her her Dr. was lying, called her uneducated, told her she would be butchered.  I saw the posts, they were mean, they were judgemental.  No offering of anything positive.  It turned out she did have OVCA and has gone through chemo, had her TAH and is on biohormones and doing great.  She is not experiencing the suicidal thoughts they told her she would have, she is not getting fat, sleeping all the time... they told her that would happen.  I posted a message on that site to offer encouragement to let women know that there could be success stories... I was called names and then my post was deleted.  My sister was terrified after reading those posts... she almost put off surgery.  The HERS foundation gives information as fact, when they are not fact.  I've read some of the posts on that site and I am saddened by the misery of these ladies... all looking for help.  They don't get it there.... they only get confirmation of their misery.  I am faced with the possibility of a hyst. and I would never, EVER go that resource for help.  There are success stories, there are people who have no other option... please, I urge anyone not to go to that site for support.  That foundation has been the bad seed that has kept me in pain for a year too afraid to have a hyst.  However, I have found other forums that do provide real help, including this one.  I know a hyst. is  not to be taken lightly and should not be considered without a viable medical reason, but I also know that if it is done there are women out there who are living happy lives with real struggles... but happy.  You won't find that on HERS.  
I had a hysterectomy one year ago, they did take out my overies and left my cervix. I have been on estogen only hormones (enjuvia) and am now learning that maybe I do need the progesterone. I also had started with leg cramps at night and my Dr. said take calcium. My biggest problem now are my HEADACHES. I have seen an ENT dr. and a neurologist and was on antibiotics for 4 weeks and now am off the antibiotics and my HEADACHES are back. Could these headaches be because my hormones are not balanced? I did go off the enjuvia for 1 week and got really moody and still had the headachs so i went back on. maybe the progesterone will help? Also, I would like to try the bioidenticlal hormones, do i need any sort of spit test or blood test being that i have had the hysterectomy?
I had a total hysterectomy a month ago, i haven't had any hot flashes, I see my doctor this Monday, I am 37, do I need HRT? will the symptoms come later? what are the effects of not taking HRT? I hear that the side effects are dangerous. My family has a history of breast cancer and I am really nervous about taking them, but if i don't will there be a problem?
old post lots of good info from Mary 53
Get the books Mary 53 suggests and read. The more you know the better off you'll be. Everyone is different. I'm w/out ovaries since Nov 08 and had a hysterectomy Jan 07. I'm trying the "natural" stuff. Soy and Black Cohosh. So far so good I haven't been hit with the "lava" flashes or sweats that soak my clothing. My DR says that it's my choice and she'll work with me if I decide to try HRT. My mother has good info for me, maybe yours will too. Some of the things that set her off do me too.It gave me something to look out for. Sometimes it helps just to know you're not alone.
I'm 57 and had a complete hysterectomy six  years ago and am on HRT (Elidiol).  How do I know if I am on the correct amounts of hormones?  I asked my doctor but she brushed me off.
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of having severe vertigo, balance problems, headaches, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, and night sweats related to an Estrogen problem? I suffered with this for 3 years before having a total Hysterectomy at the age of 38, in October, 2008. I found no one that could figure out the problem until I found out I had an enlarged Uterus filled with Fibroids, Multiple cysts on both ovaries, and a mass on the right ovary. The day of my Hysterectomy the vertigo and balance problems went away. I am on a high dose of HRT and I still continue to have severe hot flashes, night sweats, and Insomnia. I wonder about Progesterone? My Doctor says I don't need it. I am so confused about what is the CORRECT thing to do. I do have a history of Brest Cancer in my family and was told being on Estrogen alone will NOT increase risk of brest cancer. How long does it take for all these Hormones to level out? I would love to be able to sleep the whole night, without waking up 5-6 times a night! I feel for any woman that has to go through this! Sometimes I wonder if I am just a rare case?
I think I can help out here. Let's try to start a new thread though since this is an older thread. I did not look but I would bet that some of my information is on this thread and more recently I have discovered more helpful information (I sooo understand what you both are going through regarding getting symptom relief, knowing what you really need, and just the frustration of trying to figure all of this out.

I have plans I have to attend to, but can return later today. Answers to these questions require more than just a few words, as you can probably imagine. In the meantime, take a look at my journal on Bioidentical hormones. I recently posted there with more current information. Click on my screen name (which you probably know) to get to my profile and to find the journals. This would be a good start ... it might clear up some of the confusion. You could also check more recent posts of mine by going to the 'posts' section of my profile. Many posts are about hormones. I would suggest you not go back past a year, though, since the current information is critical as far as I am concerned since I have more recently gotten great symptom relief.

Hang in there and I will check back later. If you want to leave a note that you saw this, that is always appreciated. Again, I will be back later, or I may start a new thread, so you can watch out for that, too. I would make it clear that it is a hormone discussion.

Mary
I had a complete hysterectomy during exploritory surgery when the mass in my right ovary was found to be stage 1 cancer In January of this year. My OB/GYN has not been very informative and from start to finish i have felt like i have been on a roller coaster ride. My doctor placed me on premarin and this had me very scared since my mother died after her hysterectomy from blood clots. I shared all this with my doctor but it seems like he is little concerned. I was having very sharp numbing pain in my lower legs and severe jagged pain in my knees adn when i told him abouy this he simply put me on a lower dose of Premerin. I chose to stop taking the HRT and have been off for about a month now and recently have been tryinga product called Anberen. I stiil have night sweats and hot flashes and I have put on about 15 pounds in that month so I am not sure what direction to go now but I am terribly scared for my health and being around for my kids, I have three the oldest 19 and the youngets 5.I have truly felt alone and scared since this whole thing started and then I stumbled on to this site and cant tell you how happy I was to read of others that feel much the same as I do. Do any of you have suggestions for feeling better, losing weight and just feeling like yourself again? any help would be appreciated so much. Thanks
I was put on hormone patches.  She gave me far too much for me.  I like them because I was able to cut them to the size that works for me.  i cut one patch in quarters and change it twice a week and I have no menopausal symptoms.  I had a complete hysterectomy and there were no hormones left.
try having no insurance, a total hysterectomy due to endometriosis, horrrible hotflashes, mood swings, chroic fatigue, weight gain, depression and pretty much no life now.  Lost out on many years of my kids lives because of these probs.  Rarely go to doc due to no insurance and when i have gone to doc, get different answers (or the same wrong answers, obviously they are wrong or I would be better by now.)  The list goes on.  
I was also told by about 4 docs NOT to take prog. because I have no uterus. I was told by ONE doc YES take prog.  I have tried both taking it and not taking it.  I have tried pharm grade lotion prog. I have tried premarin and estadiol, on and on and on .  I have given up and am waiting to die.
forgot to add i am 46, was 39 when i got the hysterectomy that screwed up my life. (had to have it though, no way around it) forgot to add too that I had severe prolapsed uterus (in addition to the endo) and that the uterus was fused to my insides because it had dropped so far and had been down there for soooo long. It did not drop outside because it was tilted so it fell back and stayed there.  Felt just grand having that for so long and no insurance to get it taken out. Finally decided to just pay for the insurance through work get the surgery and dropped the EXPENSIVE insurance a few months later.  SOLD my car to pay for the insurance.....blah blah.....
Also forgot to add that i have read TONS of books and tried all the natural hormones, herbs etc. wild yam, chastberry, black cohosh, the already prepared mixed stuff you get at the store or health store. TONS and tons of herbs and concoctions, spent TONS of money at health stores, nothing worked.  Also, vitamins, minerals, this that, that this.........no help, in fact the black cohosh, wild yam and chast berry to name a few made the hotflashes WAY worse. I know it says on directions that they will get worse before getting better,  but they NEVER got better in my case, only worse...after taking the herbs for as long as I could humanly stand it. Approx 3 weeks to 6 weeks....no help only worse....don't know what to say, I am bitter, I give up. I feel no one has the same symtoms (symptoms) and probs (exactly) that I have, and that no one can help because they don't get it.  The docs certainly don't have my symtoms (symptoms) or they wouldn't be working, because they wouldn't be able to hold a job with this **** I have.  I have not worked for 6 years.
P.S   I also got toxic shock syndrome a year after the hysterectomy and almost died.  I believe because my body never recovered from the operation and immunities were low. The toxic shock was from a cut (not tampon) obviously cuz I had had the hysterectomy.  How's that for an effed up story?
I am a 36 year old who had a COMPLETE hysterectomy two months ago due to endometriosis. My obgyn did not want to perform the surgery at my age but I had four surgeries for very large cyst removals within a three year time period and there was a large amount of scar tissue surrounding my ovaries. I was put on Prempro following the hysterectomy. I am having very few hot flashes but I am unable to sleep at night and having alot of pain and discomfort during and after urinating. I have no sex drive at all. I've been told this is "all in my head" but I know what I'm feeling. Don't I? I have a GREAT obgyn who i'm due to see in a few days and he truly wants to know how I feel and if the prempro isn't working he'll keep switching till he finds something that works. I'm very fortunate to have finally found a doctor who will listen to ME, but I wanted some advice as to what other options are out there to toss at him.
Thanks!
I had a total hysterctomy when I was 28 years old. I was given an injection right after the surgery of hormones. My doc said the injection would last approx. 6 months then I would need to go on HRT. I started with a pretty high mg dosage of hormones (1.625 mg maybe. It was long ago) 6 months after surgery. As the years past I would get hot flashes every 8-10 years for a few months at a time. My doctor would lower the level of estrogen I was taking and the hot flashes would go away. Now I am down to .625 mg daily. I am 50 years old. I wonder if I will experience menapause systems when I go off HRT all together. Any one have answers? My son (age 25) says I have been going through the change of life since he became a teenager!! How little he knows.........
Hi iamzmom,  I had a similiar experience with endometriosis and I am 50 now and having a lot of problems.  I was on the Climara patch but the adhesive made me itch and my skin beat red.  I switched to Vivelle.dot and the adhesive didn't cause any problems. I am told these patches are bioidentical and come in different strengths. I also took an oral estrogen called Climarin (sp?).  I am now suffering from severe migraines so I went off the patches all together and the severity and duration of my migraines is better.  I am worried though about osteoporosis, and I have been having the worst hot flashes all day and night. I am thinking of going back on .25mg of the Vivelle.dot just to get by.  My OB/GYN also wanted me to take Wellbutrin, I declined, how is an antidepressant going to get rid of hot flashes?  Anyway, good luck.

Oh by the way I went to the endocrinologist and had blood work done.  He said my FSH levels are normal.  I don't know how that can be since I had a complete hysterectomy 10 years ago and I have weaned off bioidentical hormomes completely for 3 months?  I thought my FSH levels would be off the charts.
Dear
I am 53 years old and I just had a toral hysterctomy done in March this year. I do not take HRT pills, just thingking about them scares me. But, instead I take natural stuff, pills calld MenoSense by Lorna Vanderhaeghe. I've been taking them for the past month and I can't believe how well they work for me! No more night sweats and I sleep like a baby. Instead of getting 10 to 15 hot flashes a day I get like 2 to 3. Now, you have to give MenoSense a chance to work. In few months I was told by women that take them, that they will take away hot flashes for good. I'll let you know what happenes but in a mean time I suggest you take them too. Talk to your doctor and see what he thinks about them.
Good Luck to you....Liliana
I am 51 and had total "hysto" from fibroids last january.  Was on the patch, just stopped patching, and haven't taken anything since. I feel great!  I've wanted a "hysto" since my first child 34 years ago!!! Sometimes I get a little warm feeling, not a "HOT FLASH", but i put on a fan, some luther van dros and think positive thoughts, and they vanish!
To Sippy I was started on Premarin as my doctor said I had to have estrogen, due to the fact of no ovaries.  I was on a lower dose and was having a lot of bladder pain, but was told that was because they physically have to take it out to get to your uterus, ( I had abdominal hysterectomy)  I had, had a ruptured ovarian cyst when I was 19 and that was the first year they came out with the ultrasound machine and they didn't really know what they were looking at, they weren't sure if I had that or a tubal pregnancy, so I was cut then also.    Anyway, I was like a cymbalta advertisement when you look out the window at the sunshine and just want to go back to bed and sleep the day away, depression.  So he put me on a higher dose and I did okay until I started having stomach pain and hardening in my thighs.  I quit taking it and I had hot flashes from day one BAD, but as time went by they have let up, they actually happen now more during the day, and I have found if at night, if I just put 1 leg out of the covers it balances my heat.  Not to use cymbalta as and advertisement, have been on that and 3 others, believe me, doctors think they help pain.  They do nothing for this kind of pain.
To Mary 53, I went to another ob/gyn to try to get my hormone balance test done, I don't know why doctors around my area think you crazy to ask for that?  Is it because they are men, I'm looking for a woman.  But this doctor told me that I should not have been put on premarin due to my past blood clot disorder and asked me how I was doing with my hot flashes and moods.  I told him that I was doing better with the hotflashes, but that I cried alot and he asked me about dryness, I can not relate to that as my husband has a totally bad back, but realized after he put me on progesterone that I was, he said all women get low on that after hyst. and he also ordered a test on my testosterone, when I went back he put me on a cream I rub into my wrists twice a day.  He said it had bottomed out and I needed it.  Don't really know what it does for me.  But I really don't know what it does for me, but now that you have mentioned the fog, I don't feel I'm in a fog, just can't remember as well, lose my thought process when talking, and can't stay with a conversation, I start talking about something else before I finish my subject.  Whatever has happened to me, I have lost my job from it and I worked at the same place for 7 years and have had this surgery two years ago.  Who will want me now, I can't do a lot of things, the person I used to be is no more.
I had a complete Hysto about 13yrs ago, have been on doses of Premarin since, was on .625 for the last 5yrs, moved and now going to a new Dr. who claims I need to come off, and has suggested taking Black Cohosh, ( how ever spelt), have been on that for 1 month and the hot flashes have been horrible and more often the longer I am off the Premarin...ugh.. I went back to him today and he said I can double up the dosage but wants me to try at least for another month....as I told him, I certianly don't want to take anything that can hurt me, but I know the Premarin was working, I am willing to take the whole bottle of this Black Cohosh stuff but something needs to take out the FIRE..... any advice, or anyone that has used this before... thanks
had my surgery on oct 19th, removed everything except cervix. had a shot of hormones at hospital, am not taking hrt at moment. ive had a couple hot flashes feel alittle out of sorts, lots of anxiety. am afraid to take the hormones.I am 46 years old. how long does the effects of shot last.
Hi,   I have had a hysterectomy at the age of 33 at the time of surgery they took my cervic for it was completely covered with pre cancer cells , had endometriosis ,  2 cysts removed on the ovaries , had my bladder put back in place and my bowels and a inguinal hernia removed all in the one surgery thought get it all done at onece. Felt great afterwards even lost weight then about 6 months after it the weight began to keeo coming on. Have had surgery every year for removal of cyts and endometriosis. finally at the asge of 35 I had the right ovary removed . then had an emergency appendectomy in there too. After the right ovary removal agin noticed the weght gain and lack of energy. Every year i had surgery to remove cysts on my ovary that was left finally this year in June i am now 39 had the right ovary removed. The Dr. Said I would notice the increase in energy and probably the weight would come off. NOT!! He put me on Vivelle- dot 0.05 the next day. Felt great for two weeks then it all hit like a BUS!!!! Hot flashes night swets insomnia and MOODY tired etc. it was a night mare !! i thought this is all gionna take time and suffered it out for 2 1/2 months . then I called Dr. and he increased the Vivelle- DOT to 0.075 bio identical  made a difference after about 2 weeks with the hot flashes and slept better. My libidio is down though too wich really stinks. i also noticed that the day before i had to change my patch you couldn't look at me crosswise and i would rip your head off . Any one else feel this way??? Another huge thing was the headaches like every other day and faint headaches every day . i would get a migraine atleast 3 times a week. Very fuzzy in the head , blurred vision , dizzy and nauseated.  The weight gain in the abdomen and the buttocks and upper thighs is driving me crazy.!!! So in  Sept i heard a add on the radio about AMBEREN so I decided to try it for 1 month  along with my patch .  i felt better within 3 days decreased hot flashes slept beter, moods better ,a skip back in my jump ya know. but  I  forgot to add i am on a natural progesterin cream 1 time a day since before surgery . I then decided to take myself off the patch to see if it helped with the headaches and it did but i still get them and am tired . i know i need to exercise and i love too but i am so tired. My moods have been better by far. The Dr. said to come back after 1 month to get my levels tested and maybe i should but i also havent told him i tried the amberen either. I hear so much pros cons on the bio idetical hormones yes no etc, I am confused. i don't want the side effects later in life with the skin, hair etc. because i took no estrogen .Will i be ok if i exercise more force myself and stay off the vivell dot and just do the AMberen and the progesterin crema along with 1,200 mg of calcium a day ?/Please advise here .As you can see i have tried different routes. thanks much and God Bless. Tina
I am overwhelmed with the amount of information on this board!  I have been doing some research on hormones since my hysterectomy in August, but now that I know I will need to be doing some form of HRT I have renewed my desire to learn more.

A little about me - I am a mother of four, married to my husband (a disabled veteran) for 10 years in June, both my hubby and I are fulltime chemical engineering students.  I had an enlarged uterus, severe prolapse, fibroids and ovarian cysts.  I have had doctors recommending a hysterectomy for two years and finally decided to have it done this past August.  The doctor left one ovary in, in hopes that I wouldn't need to do HRT (I'm 32).  But that ovary is not functioning, so HRT is in my near future.  I will meet with him towards the end of December to discuss and start.

Right now, I am at the end of my semester, with finals looming.  Until I had really started to dig in to symptoms of low hormones, etc I didn't realize how many I had.  I am an asthmatic and have had to go to the hospital for breathing treatments because it has been so bad.  I can't sleep.  I have back to back hotflashes.  I wake up at night soaked.  I also have headaches and fuzzy thinking.

I think bioidenticals may be the road I want to go down.  BUT I have seen very little on here about natural/homeopathic remedies.  Does anyone on here take herbs?  Are there any good websites on homeopathic HRT?  

I am struggling.  I am usually super organized and with it, but lately I am struggling.  I love my kids and I am so short with them.  I love my husband and we've had a very active sex life up until recently.  I feel so much better physically (other than the asthma & feeling like a radiator), but mentally I feel like poo!
I too am overwhelmed at all the info on this site!! I am 38 years old, have never been pregnant, was FINALLY diagnosed (sorry my spelling stinks) with endometriosis. I have been treated for infertility in the past but NO ONE ever told me that I have endo!! After many years of lower stomach & pelvic floor pain, bouts of constipation to the other extreme of not being able to stop going, nausea, painfull intercourse, some prolapse of my organs, blood in my urine, horrible periods, severe bloating & swelling all over. I finally found a doc who told me what was wrong with me before he ever examined me just from what I told him about my symptoms.
My doctor told me the only solution to my problems is a total hysterectomy, which is to be done in early Jan. 2010. I have found out soooo much information in the last week that my head is spinning. I now have a notebook started with questions for the doc when I go back to see him this Thurs. to set up my surgery & to see what he found on my ultrasound he wanted done before we did surgery.
I feel that I am making the right decision & I can't help but to be a little upset tho that after all the tests I have had & all the doctors I have seen that none of them told me what the problem was & that there were things that could have been done to try to help see if I could have gotten pregnant. Of all the posts that I have read I now know that I had other options before it got as bad as it is now. I am soo glad that I found this site now I feel that I have a lot more information to be armed with going into this. Thanks to you all.
Had a total hysterectomy June 2009. Because of estrogen dominance dr. said not to take estrogen. I have taken pro. for a month and a half but didn't feel it made a difference. I have the foggy head, terrible day and night hot flashes or night sweats (can't tell the difference). Aches around. My cancer was a 2 on a scale of 1-2. My question is can I take the bio-estrogen along with the pro. As I understand it the reason for the estrogen dominance is bacause of the lack of pro. I was tested before my surgery and my pro. was only .5 and est. was 31 I think. I sure don't want another bout with this but would like some relief. Can I safely take both the bio-estrogen and progesterone?

Thanks Barb5851
Correction from Barb 5851- my cancer was a 2 on a scale of 1-25.

One other question. I don't remember anyone mentioning it, but I also have cold flashes where I get cold, and am very sensitive to temperature change, is this part of the result of having hormonal imbalance or should I look for this to have another source?
Hi everyone my name is Christina. I am 29 yrs old, I had a total hysterectomy when I was 26. Iwas put on premarin 6.25mg after I had my hormones tested and it showed my estrogen was really low and progestrone was really high. I am still currently on premarin, and have been having problems not sure what's going on;( I went today for all sorts of lab work. I woke up yesterday and had neuropathy my upper thighs felt like they were on fire. Ijust don'y feel good all together. I feel like I have been having some sort of anxiety, but yet I take diazepam 5mg so I can't understand why my heart would be acting up.. My doc, God forgive me, is a retard.. I basically have to diagnose myself with him, he did give me a refferal to see a neurologist though,, I don't know I am just so frustrated I work in a nursing home, and am taking on-line classes, a mother of two girls, and a wife, so if anyone has any insight on anything please hhhhhheeeeeellllllllpppppppppp.......
Hello, I am 40 years old.. 3 weeks post-op tomorrow. Had a full hysterectomy.(everything removed) I am not on any hormone replacement therapy at this point. (I wanted to wait to see how I felt after the hysterectomy before I started taking medication, and quite honestly wasnt sure what I should be taking As everyone I speak to tells me different info) Thank God my mood has been great. The tears are always right there but that is me, typically. I cry happy tears and sad tears. ( just very sensitive, if you will) I have had a couple hot flashes at bedtime. Absolutely nothing severe at all. I did have some sleep issues the first couple of weeks, but that has improved. I did start taking Calcium 750mg twice daily with 1000 vitamin D daily. I have heard such horror stories about menapause... has anyone gone hormone free after a surgical menapause and been ok? (or is this the calm before the storm?) My concern of course is bone loss... I am in shape and very active. Although , I do have a history of atrial fibrillation.  I am on heart  medication daily for that.
Some one mentioned  that I should just just take birth control daily and that maybe enough of a replacement? Any ideas or opinions?? Am I crazy for not taking any replacement therapy? I see my primary care Dr. tomorrow so Im sure she will give me her recommendations... I"m open to suggestions and ideas.
Hi, you ask some very important questions...and you sound like you did some of what I did post hysterectomy. I had my uterus and cervix removed in 05 and tubes ovaries in 06...one surgery woulda been nice...

First compliments on taking the bone issue seriously vitamin D 1000 ICUs is considerd helpful very good. calcium is important to and the combo works well together.

I have been community leader in here for going on two years and yes the horror stories, but  I can compare it with the evening news...you hear about the violence, the bad stuff...you dont hear too much about the good people in society.

I dont get many threads from women post op who say im doing great, hormones are manageable...I have gotten lots of these letters but not anwhere near the bad ones...but makes sense they need help

My own experience..I used the Vivelle dot...small estrogen patch...my doc had me change it every 4th day..you alternate sides,,,its like a band aide,, you open it put on area under belly button towards the right..( where ovary used to be basically just close)

then when you change you must remove old patch an alternate sides...its very easy to use.
now not all women get away with just estrogen,,some need a combo of hormones.

I decided to stop hormones one year post op...I had no night sweats ( I did after surgery BAD) I had a hot flash maybe once every 2 weeks..so I just stopped. i feel fine.

A cardiologist will tell you hormones are very bad for heart

a Osteopath will tell you hormones are the best for bone density and strength...so it is a tough call..I kinda just thought of generations past they didnt get hormones and got through menopause fine..

So try not to worry because anything you try you can stop. You may want to go herbal...many women get help with hotflashes and night sweats with Black Kosch...the two symtoms (symptoms) mentoned are all it helps...not moodiness or lack of sex drive.

and goodness you have been through a major operation..cry let it out...repressing emotions leads to depression,.what your feeling is very normal. Remember your no less of a woman just cause your uterus is gone..

Nonsense on the birthcontrol that is sometimes an option for women with heavy bleeding not even a choice because here is zero need for a post hysterectomy patient...

please feel free to ask me anything you wish...you can start a new threat so you may get more advice than just mine..most dont look at these old ones...but its good cause mary53 did some wonderful research,,mostly for ovarian cancer though which is not your diagnosis.

you can pm me too if you wish

all the best
Cherie

Gosh so much info. here,

My thing is this...
I had my TAH/BSO in Sept 30,08 and after 11 months playing around with the OTC stuff I finally couldn't take it anymore and saw my GP, I was on the patch briefly Aug 2009, Dec09 late, on to the oral  IC Estraodiol 0.05mg I chew them up, I was taking  half a pill morning and half in the evening, I have since upped it one pill plus half.. my skin is so dry etc

Does it take time for it(pill) to work, where I would notice a difference in my skin, nails mood?

I should add that this month ( 17th) will mark  having taken the oral as directed ( well okay the last few days three) not as directed.

Plus my Derm has me on men's Rogaine once a day.. my scalp sample came back mild female alopecia.. great !

Weight gain IS awful and I work out like crazy.

Endo appt. next month, but what is going on here? No sleep, panic attacks etc

I just want to know is there such a thing as to much Estrogen?

I should add the patch just wouldn't stay on.. I'm a mess.

Thanks.
I'm dyin over her totally desperate,, had complete hyst in 97 been on multiple drugs,, still moody, hotflash,, all the above and I went on estadiol 2mg for 15 moths and just had blood work and estrogen is UNDETECTABLE,,wtfrick?? I'm so tired of this,, oh did I mention I'm also type 1 diabetic for 33 years,, can't anyone just really HELP??????I'm SO hopeless,,
Hi, I understand your pain! I am only 28 and I had a Total Hysterectomy in August. I was put on Vivil Dot patch and I still get the hot flashes and every thing else that this beast comes with. I had severe endometriosis and Adnomiosis for years, I was able to by the grace of God to have 2 beautiful children. Now I am torn between the risks of staying on the replacement or not. I am worried due to my age so for right now I am off the patch and I guess I will let mother nature do what it needs. It just seems that every thing causes something, I just hate taking any pill any more. What was is like a few months after your hysterectomy? I hope you find all your answers.

Kristin
had hystrectomy 14 years ago comp;ete...took premarin or estratest for yhears but have been on nothing the last 8 years,.tons of depresion anxiety so bad im on xanax and antidepressants,someone tod me it could be hormanal.i had tubla ligation in 1986....so i went to  NURSE PRAACTIONER WHO PUT ME ON ESTRADIOL PATCH LOWEST STRENGTH..seeems to make anxiety worse and it wont stay on..i only got it on july 23 and im on the last patch,they were suppose to last a month..so if i dont have my ovaries do i need progesterone..my sed drive *****,no energy,and dryness.going to a new dr on the 16th who they say tests your hormones levels im just wondering if after 14 years estardiol or any of then will help me,i just want to enjoy life i have so much to live adn be happy for...any coments..thanks carol
I had a full hysterectomy about 6 years ago, I still have aweful hotflashes, I just deal with it, but the thing that concerns me is my weight is getting out of control. Im not on hormones, I was scared to take them...now that I have read some posts, I am rethinking it...will taking hormones level out my weight? I have never been this weight and am very self conscience about it and even around my husband and really just want to find out if they help with everything....please help.....
Boy, I have a lot to say- but It's late and for the first time- I will make it short! I am 45 years old and had a total hysterectomy (cervix, ovaries, uterus)June 24, 2010. I hoped that the 6 weeks post-op time frame would have me feeling w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l.. but that is a joke! I was given Estradiol 1 mg 24 hours after surgery and never felt any mood swings or hot flashes. Around 7 weeks after surgery (still extremely sore from the hip-to-hip incision- I had a 10 lb fibroid tumor and was not a Davinci candidate) but had such extreme fatigue, I called the Dr- his instruction was to increase the Estradiol to 2 mg a day... this increase did not do a thing and I think i gained about 10 lbs in one week.
Not a happy camper- !!!
I had a total hysterectomy 9 years ago.  I was given synthetic hormones but didn't like the way they made me feel.  I had read up on the bio-identical.  That is what Suzanne Summers swears by (can google her info).  I have done very well on those.  In fact, the last year or so, I've started using only once a day (instead of twice) to cut down on cost and I have felt fine.  Afraid to go off of them all together.  I've heard how your bones, skin and how you feel overall is affected without hormones.  
Has anyone had a total hysterectomy without taking any hormones for a long period of time, and how are you doing?
I had a total hyster. about 3 years ago.  I didnt think i needed any hormones but after 4 weeks I began noticing things.  I went on a dinner date and while waiting on our order I broke down in a sweat and felt faint like, had to leave before eating.  I went to a ballgame in 70 degree weather and was so sweaty and hot couldnt make it.  It became a more regular process.  I went to doctor and was placed on .6 of premarin.  I was told the risk was only a 2% increase in breast disease not meaning breast cancer.  It was a small price to pay for normality.  I have been on this for 3 years and no issues.  I am getting worried after reading all these negatives.  Is there any positives from this to share with me, PLEASE respond...
I am 66 and had a hysterectomy but I still have my cervix.  I am losing hair and wonder if I should go back to taking my estrogen pills which I stopped taking a year ago.
Help! I had a total hysterectomy about 6 years ago. After a long search I ended up on bio-identical hormones. three estrogens, progesterone  and testosterone. Switched doctors so I could get insurance coverage and he refuses to give me progesterone. Swears I don't need it and only put me on Estradioal - says I don't need others. Oh my gosh... I know there are differences. My belly is bigger since I switched. yuk! Who knows the truth?

Do I need progesterone? Do I need other estrogens?
Is there an expert near Rochester NY that I can see?

So tired of all this,
Judy
OK had a complete hysterectomy in april and started having hot flashes within the week. dr started me on the little estradil pill which really didn't do anything. I am now keeping track of the hot flashes and they are 20 to 25 in an 24 hour period no sleep, sweating is out of control and he said give in another 2 weeks my estradial blood work came back at 7.0 they never checked prog or test I am so over this it just can't be right

suzie

Had a TAH in August, leaving ovaries, due to non-cancerous fibroid. I'm 31. It's been about eight weeks and I feel great physically. Do not have any symptoms of an early menopause at all that I know of, but ever since the surgery do not feel the same emotionally. Is this just a consequence of a major surgery that it can alter your emotional perspectives? Or is there a hormonal issue I need to deal with? Doc said that my H levels shouldn't be low or imbalanced right now, but perhaps the way my body is responding to them now could be what I'm feeling.....the best way to describe it is "apathetic."  I don't feel depressed or overly anxious, no mood swings, just mainly a lack of attraction to huband, and a slight apathetic view on things.  Anyway, all that to say, is it possible that I DO need to check my hormones even with my ovaries in?  My doc said he would check them in six months.  thanks!
This is my first time to the site and it has gave me a lot to think about. I am 38 years old and have had a total hysterectomy. They took everything. I had this done is 2009. From that point until now I have gained 45 pounds and no matter what I do I can not get it off. I stay swollen and bloated all the time. The weight has put me in a severe depression. I can't even wear my wedding rings because of the weight and swelling. I was on hormones but they did not work at all. I have severe sweats all the time. My husband has threatened to kill me if I don't do something but I just don't know what to do. I am so tired of the doctors telling me that I just have to live with it. Please help! I do think after reading all the information above that I want to try natural hormone replacement. I just want to feel better.
My dr. put me on the hormone patch that night after my surgery.  The first type was crappy.  It either didn't stay stuck to anywhere on my body, or it was the wrong dosage.  I started at .05, went up to .075.  Now I'm on .1 and feel really good.  

When I had my surgery, he took the works, ovary (had 1 removed last Dec.), fallopian tubes, uterus, and cervix.  Funny thing is...I don't even miss my periods!!!  lol  

Of those of you who had your hysterectomies some time ago I have a question.  My nipples seem to have a mind of their own now.  They are more sensitive than they were before my surgery.  I was wondering if anyone else has had that happen, and if so, how long did it last?

Hi you posted on the tail end of a very old thread I will answer for you but if you wish others to notice your question id be best to copy paste and post your own new thread this is done by simply pushing the post a question at top of forum

Id urge you to see a endocrinologist, one in ten women become hypr thyroid after a hysterectomy causes weight gain as they hyster also does however adverage hysterectomy gain is only 10 lbs just has to do with hormones and its harder to lose weight.

about the depression normal too, the surgery is tramatic physically, emothionally and mentally, and the hormones are off so , I think you need to see gyno to have a new hrt that works for you sometimes it takes several times to get correct for ones anatomy, I got lucky the bio identical patch worked for me on first try....also consider asking for some anti depressant medication no shame in that and it helps greatly, youd likely need it short term until you can get help with the weight, ask your Dr what exercise program would be best for you, because after a hyster diet alone seldom works for weight loss, you will probably loose it slowly,,if you are hypo thyroid theres a medication one little pill in the am it helps with depression, weight there are many side effect of low thyroid including lack of sex drive and dry everything skin, bowel ( common to be constipated) hair and hair loss
Hi Linda,
same advice as above to repost own thread

about thenipple sensitivity, I think it has to do with the sudden menopause actually its also a common side effect of natural menopause too, I dont think its because of the hyster other than the fact that the surgery thrust you into instant menopause,,,please make appointment with dr if this really bothers you , if nipple are red, chaffed etc..Im not certain but Id think some creame either medicated or otc would help but youd need Dr to reccomend that.

I sure don't miss my periods either glad to be rid of them ! as for the hrt it takes most a few times to get correct dose/combo.
I'm 41 and had a complete hysterectomy 3 yrs ago. Am not taking any meds due to being bipolar and suffering from panic attacks. My question is this: was diagnosed with PCOS, endimtriosis, beginnin stage of cervical ca. Since having my surgery 6 wks after baby was born, am exhausted everyday, gained almost 70lbs, exercise 2-3 days a week and suffer from intense body pain. Sex life is non existant. What can I take or do to minimize these problems ESP the weight gain. please help me to understand what am going thru.  
I'm 45.  I had a radical hysterectomy 10 years ago.  I started out taking premrin, then ended up taking vivelle-dot.  I weaned myself off of those and am now taking Natrol complete balance for menapause vitamins.  One pill for morning and a different pill for at night.  The pill for night time has 1 mg of melatonin in it.  I just read that soy can actually prevent estrogen from producing and it can harm your thyroid.  Do I have to worry about the soy blocking estrogen since I've had a radical hysterectomy?  Does your body still produce estrogen then?  So I don't know, and don't know if maybe I should only take black cohosh along with vitamin B's and calcium, and I don't know about taking vitamin E.  Thank you so much!  Fern
I am 26 and 3 months ago had a total hysterectomy. I am now experiencing the worst time of my life. Physically i have gained weight and feel like my hair is falling out mentally I am depressed and feel terrible the hot flashes are the least of it. I am taking estradiol but still feel I am suffering
Hi, I was wondering if you were doing better? I am 38 and had a complete hysterectomy last October and I still feel awful. I am not taking any hormones. I feel very sad, moody and no sexual desire.
In 2004 I had a complete hysterecyomy, I was put on a patch while still in the hospital (wish I could remember what it was called) any way within 6 months my doctor found a lump in my breast and then found 7 lumps in my lungs my life was hell, turned out all my little lumppies are nothing after thousands of dollars in test. I tore off the patch and have not taken a thing and I have gained over 30 lbs, now starting to pluck the chin and love life is non existant.  I turn 50 next week yea me!! and want to go back to the old me but cant afford to pay $3000.00 out of pocket for HRT I went and spoke w/a local HRT office I was floored, what can I do?  what is out there that is't so expensive?
I regret ever having the hysterectomy, It has been the worse procedure i ever had ,recovery was a breeze ,it has been 9 months,I cant take any hrt due to my heart! I have gained 20 pounds,live in a tens muscle machine, spent a 1000.00 on a hypnosis, ,23 visits with a chiropractor, yes, I take effexor xr 150 . THis procedure ruined my life... I would rather had kept my left side pain  discomfort then go thru this hell,I cant even talk to my dr now,I am so pissed, He promised I could take hrt and assured me all would be for the best..  he came iinto my room a few hours afterwards,I was walking around ,,I have 30-40 hot flashes a day and all thru the night... if you have this procedure leave a ovary,had I done that I wold be working and enjoying my life ,Thanks to a greedy *** dr he ruined my damn life. I now have peripheral nuropathy and have chronic pain .I was very active and now I feel like a 90 year old,I cant go out to eat from looking like someone with a horrible disease. cant wait for winter, in the  snow I can stand outside naked and get some relief..I am not exaggerating,Oh and for my sex life... get a 2nd or 3rd opinion or a 4th.. God, I wished I had,too late, Now I dream of a ovary implant... he said I could not keep my right ovary but could not prove why he took it other than said he hated for me to have to come back at a later time... BS bottom line he gained more money! I take women to women vitamins  in addition to 1000 units of vit d  and give myself b12 shots. it has helped but the hot flashes are here to stay..
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and ovaries removed 6 months ago at 25yrs old for endometriosis. I was on zolodex injections before and suffered severe mood swings but nothing could have prepared me for menopause. Im on HRT but suffer adverse effects from the estrogen and remaining endo on my bowel and surrounds. The worst part though has been my total personality swings. I have destroyed all relationships around me and lost my family. As they feel that menopause couldnt make me this person and that I must be on drugs. I assure you I am not as I do have a 4 year old son after IVF attempts before my planned hysterectomy. I Feel like I cant find the happy person I once was. Stuck in a very angry place*** not toward my son though, I cling to him tightly** but I cant find myself and I know and understand what is being said to me but i cant change it. Why is this happening to me? What should I do? Will I ever be myself again?
The HRT is necessary. However, there are so many reports out there about the dangers of being on them long term. I would talk to your doctor to found out how long you should continue taking hormones.
Mary, I am taking  0.5 (1/2) to 1 ml. progesterone (compounded by pharmacy) .  Had complete hysterectomy in '92.  Used to go to Augusta, Ga. to endocrinologist there who invented birth control pills and implanted hormones from female mares.  Felt great but had the facial hair and still do.  I still don't feel well today-just going to regular md for prescription.  After reading your posts, I was wondering if I need more than just progesterone?  Can you offer any suggestions?
I had a complete hysterectomy at age 27 due to endometrosis.  I am now 48.  The mood swings were huge for me and I too had a competely different personaltiy afterwards.  I took estratest full strength for 10 years and that gave me more balance than I had ever had.  Because estrogen fed cancer runs in my family I quit taking the HRT at the doctors request 4 years ago.  Now I use premarin cream about 3 days a week and that keeps me sexually ready.  As far as the mood swings and depression - Yogi Blue's Away (St Johns Wort Tea) is a real life saver.  St Johns Wort capsules are not safe but the tea is very safe. Sweetened with honey, this tea is not only declicious but it is very effective.   I wish you the best of luck.  Exercise also plays a huge role in my balance.  I try to walk on the treadmill 30 min a day - what ever speed or incline doesn't matter - just walk 30 min a day.  Of couse I cannot always exercise due to "life".  I get back into the slumps and realize I haven't been active for a few days - get back to my routine of tea and treadmill and get back to normal.  Please realize you have to deal with you before you can worry about others.  This is your life that is out of balance.  Take care.
I am 49 years old just had a hysterectomy for uterus cancer. The cancer was stage 1 and no further treatment needed. Yet I am so depressed and can't stop crying I should be thankful it's all gone. Could it be my hormones? Can someone who can relate to this please respond.   Thanks
I am exactly like you!  I can handle the occassional hot flash and although I have night sweats they are becoming fewer.  I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago and have never slept a full night since.  The lack of sleep is hard!  i am wondering what I can do to be able to sleep.  Before the total hysterectomy I slept like a baby.  Woke up from surgery and have never slept well since.  I am aging quickly (wrinkles started) and so tired all the time.  I am 44 years old and always had lots of energy before surgery.  Any suggestions from anyone?
Hi , im also 38 and had total Hysterectomy.11 days post op and also still waiting??Had couple of night sweats tho!My only concern is ageing (aging) to early,can cope with hot flushes etc.Not started HRT yet and would rather not!
I have  had a full Hysterectomy @ 36 Last year  they found  a part ovary with a large cyst and had it removed I have had HRT implaints only once they were put in over 14 mths ago.In my last op I was told I had endimetrious really bad attached to everything I WANT TO HOW COME never had it before my Hysterectomy I recantly started with a lot of pain again doctors are telling me it is endimetrious again and they advised me not to replace HRT. I have not HRT should of run out a few months ago but all my bloods say I am cycling can someone Help it is doing my head in how can I have normal range hormones and endimetrious ??????? I feel really down all the have funhead bad headaches ect Please any advise would be good.
I am 1 yr post full hystorectomy and 46 yrs old.  I was on Vivelle-dot .1mg patch for about 2 months and self weaned off.  I do not have hot flashes often and if so they are very mild.  My discomfort comes  from joint pain and fatigue.  I am considering some sort of therapy again for the joint issues, but am finding all the research overwhelming.  Is the Vivelle-dot considered a HRT or is it bioidentical in nature?  What natural or herbal remedy would you suggest?  Any advise would be sooooo appreciated!
Reposting for All to see:

.
im due to go in for a hystectomy on monday morning, i have suffered with endometriosis for 10 yrs and its getting progressivly worse, im now 29 yrs, i have 3 children now oldest 10 and the youngest is 18 month old. ive missed so much of the older 2 lives cos of the pain and hospitals and even the painkillers them selves.

im having my cervix and womb out, but hopefully going to keep my ovaries, but i'll obviously know more on monday afternoon. not only do i have endo i have a twisted womb, womb disease and fluid in my fallopian tube. i was also diagnosed with ceoliac disease during investigations, i always have protien in my urine. my doctors for yrs haven't been telling me the full extent of my problems as i learnt only 4 months ago (as i now have a new doctor) i was treated for cancer in my cervix which is why he wants to remove it too.

im very nervous about what to expect afterwards, im completely fine about having the operation as ive had all treatments available for the endo, from hormones to surgery to remove the growths, im just worried about my emothional state afterwards, such as depression, how it will affect my mood even tho i am hopefully keeping my ovaries. can anyone help as i dont actually know anyone who has had a hystectomy to talk to about this.
I am 49 years old, will be 50 in March. I have had four children. They are now between the ages of 18 and 25. I just had a total hysto one week ago. I am extremely concerned with the advanced aging process. I also do not want to look like a man, hair growth etc. Can you please advise me on what is best to kee p these things at bay? I had also started menopause prior to surgery so I am concerned about the hormone depletion and what I can do. I believe I received some good advise reading other posts on this. There are so many products out there it is hard to determine what its what.
Dear Mary, I just found this blog/site today and have spent the whole day reading each and every post, they are all very informational and help a lot. Why have you stopped providing feedback? I know you are not a doctor but it seems to me that you are very passionate about the subject matter and have also done quite a bit of research on it. I miss your postings.

I am 47 years all and had a total hysterectomy about a week ago. I am on the Vivelle Dot patch and so far it appears that my body is tolerating this new drug in my system. I realize that it is still too early to provide any feeback on the subjec but wanted to share my thoughts and opinions as well. My mother had overian cysts/tumors in her 20's over 50 years ago and she also underwent a total hysterectomy. She was initially on oral hormone pills and eventually ended up with the Premarin patch for many years. Once she reached her mid sixties she decided to stop using it and thank God she has done well. I had my surgery done because I had cysts in both ovaries, lots of fibroids in my uterus and last endometriosis. Every year my symptoms kept getting worse to the point that I had a chronic lower back pain and shooting pain going down both my legs every month nearing my cycle. I couldn't sleep on my back comfortably any more for an entire night without waking up and  readjusting myself all the time. I sit at my job for long periods of time and that also had become a problem. My libido dissapeared about a year ago and overall the quality of life changed and the illness pretty much took over my life. I knew I couldn't play sports because if game day fell around my cycle time (prior or soon after) I would be in pain, I can't do chores around the house becasue that also would cause pain. I did a lot of research prior to making the decision to have a full hysterectomy and it took me about two years to make the final decision to move forward with it. I can't stress enough to those reading this blog to please do as much research as you can and ask questions. If you are not happy with your OBGYN answers's find another one. In the end, you will ultimately be responsible for any action you take moving forward. It is good to read all the postings and comments to help us learn about each other and hopefully to stimulate folks to do more research on their own. We are all very unique individuals and although our situations may be very similiar, our family history, age, type of problem, body types, pre-existing conditions, etc may dictate what is good and what is not. What may work for some may not for the others, I hope that folks reading this blog keep this in mind and continue to do research on their own. However, I am grateful to have found this site and blog as I've learned a few things that will now send me on a new research path. For those ladies who appear to have  lost their faith and given up, I am very sad and sorry....I will pray for you, please do not give up, life is beautiful and you should continue to do research to get the answers and results you seek.

I look forward to read all your future postings as I continue on my journey to recovery. Good luck to all of us and God Bless - Happy Holidays!
I need some advice.  I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago..they also removed my ovaries.  I live in a remote area (not a lot of choices for doctors).  I have an appointment for my yearly in a month...i have seveal family emergencies and had to put off going for a couple of months.  I started running out of pills and called my doctor to get a refill before i come see them.  They said not until i come in for my annual!  I now have only 2 pills left...(Premerin).  I don't need any added stress right now with all of the family chaos we have going on.  The doctor is supposed to call me back tomorrow ...who knows though.  Does anyone have suggestions on some natural ....over the counter medicine to help get me through this?
I had my hysterectomy June 9, 2011 they took everything. I do mean everything. I am not on hormones of any kind. I have had some hot fleashes I have been having nights sweats for over 3 years. They have almost gone. My doctor does not want me to be on hormone replacement unless I feel like I need them. I just take muliti vit., calcium, fish oil, vit. D, biotin, I excerise.
My question is there a medical reason that I should take hormones?
I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago at the age of 36 and they left my ovaries in saying I had only a mild case of endometrial cells.  I hemorrhaged 15 days later and continued to experience the monthly cyclic pain and bleeding since surgery.  I have been checked and told they cannot figure out why I am bleeding monthly but the endometriosis will continue due to leaving my ovaries in.  Do not expect your pain to go away but I have recently seen another doctor and they are having me weigh the odds of getting rid of one problem to only get more.  I have had the worse 2 years of my life and emotionally been on a roller coaster.  Each person is different and I wish you the best.
Thank you for any advice you can give me Mary. Following a total Hysterectomy in 2002, I was prescribed  Premarin and took that for a couple of months. After noting a sizeable lump in my left breast and following up with X-Rays, it was discovered to be benign and a result of the Premarin. Immediately I discontinued it and to this day do not have any HRT.

As with many others, I've experienced a weight gain, insomnia and mild night sweats.
My main concern however, was the hypothyroidism diagnosed in 2004 and treated with Levothyroxine, to which I now take 75 mcg daily.
I began internet research with a backward trace linking the thyroid med to the asthma, after reading a side effect of wheezing in the med sheet.
Linking the thyroid problem to the Hysterectomy was my next question.
Sure enough! After visiting the HERS website, it was confirmed that other women have experienced this similar concern.So from the Hysterectomy, to thyroid concerns to asthma /shortness of breath.. I'm understanding much more and I'm wondering if a bioidentical HRT cream would in time correct the hypothyroidism and naturally reverse asthmatic symptoms.

Any medical wisdom and thoughts are most welcome.. and appreciated
Thank you!!
Hello, I have been reading some of these posts.  I am 43 yrs old, with a sick kidney, and through a ct scan for my kidney, my urologist saw a cyst on my left ovary...so I went to see my gyno which I actually love...I have been going to her for several yrs as she was my dr for my son who is 14 yrs old, and she recently delivered my grandbaby who is 14 months old...my gyno was not so concerned about the cyst because she felt it wasn't that big, but after hearing about a few complaints I had about how I was feeling thought all of it sounded like endometriosis, so after a pelvic exam feels very strongly that is what is going on...so after talking about that...she will do a complete hysterectomy since my mother at 48 yrs had one due to cysts on both her ovaries, my sister at 38 had endometriosis, and my sister's daughter at 28, also had endo, extremely bad i may add...so because of my families history, feels that is the best thing to do...so that has brought me here...I have not scheduled the hysto yet, because I have to see what needs to be done with my kidney first, but I am wanting to get as much info on my options for my hormones as possible and this forum seems to be full of info...so thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and your wisdom!
My concern after my hysterectomy is my moodiness, weight gain, and insomnia...which I will speak to my gyno about, and I will check out the bio stuff...

I'm still learning about estrogen, progesterone, and testoterone...lol..

I didn't realize women needed the test also...so we do? or is it just some women? I mean do women naturally make some test as well as estrogen?
I had a total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago,before the surgery I was already postmenaposal (Age 49)-I am walking 2 miles a day feel awesome except I get these tired spells(so I sleep for 2 hours in the day)will this go away?and I never had any menoposal symptoms before-will I now and when will it begin
DO NOT USE PREMARIN  !  FIRST OF ALL IT IS FROM THE URINE OF A MARE (A HORSE) AND THEY KEEP THESE POOR HORSES PREGNANT ALL THE TIME UNDER HORRIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES. THEN, WHEN THEY ARE DONE WITH THE, MOST OF THEM GO TO SLAUGHTER OR BAD HOMES. THERE IS MORE TO IT TOO. PREMARIN HAS BEEN PROVEN TO CAUSE CANCER IN WOMEN. SPECIFICALLY BREAST CANCER.  SO USE BIOIDENTICAL HORMONE CREAMS, ESTRO AND PROGESTIN.  THEN AFTER 6 WEEKS OR SO, ASK YOUR DOC TO DO A BLOOD TEST TO TEST YOUR HORMONES.
I am 37 yrs old and I am having a total hysterectomy in about 2 weeks, is ther anything that I should worry about? I have both Adenomyosis and  endometriosis , I was told I will need to go on hormone replacement because they do not want me to jump right into menupause. I have already had my thyroid removed about 2 yrs ago due to papulary cancer and is on medice for that. My real worry is about the things I see online and have heard about cancer and was wondering if there was anything else i can take and even if I really need to take replacment therapy.
I am 10 months post op from a complete hysterectomy. I'm 31 years old. I found this forum because I am at the end of my ropes from insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes, and restless legs 24/7. Looking for suggestions......
I had a complete hysterectomy too may 2011. Cervix, uterus, ovaries all gone. I'm struggling with insomnia, night sweats, hot flashes and sadness over not being able to have more children. I haven't tried hormones yet but thinking I may need too......
I am 38 years old and it has been 5 years since my total hysterectomy, due to endometriosis. I too quit using the patch (Combi-Patch) a month ago. I can't sleep, due to hot flashes, fatigue has set in and I'm very moody. I've lost 10lbs, eat better and exercise, thinking this might help manage all the symptoms, but no such luck. I too worry about bone loss and all the other things that come along with not using HRT. Is there a way to manage the symptoms and side effects without hormones? All of the information I have read is so contradictive.

Kimberly
Hi, I had about the same procedure-Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy. I had my first S & O on Dec. 2009 at the age of 23 due to Mucinous Cystadenoma. Last Monday (Mar 5, 2012) I was in an acute abdominal pain. After the all lab tests have been performed my OB-Gyne said I need to undergo Explore Lap which eventually ended in the removal of my remaining left ovary last Tueasday (Mar 6, 2012). My Gyne said there were no options left 'cause my Ovary aside from an ONG is twisted 2x. I'm just 26 years old, single and of course childless. I'm left in the dark and don't know what to do and expect? Anyone with similar story, please help me.

WHat should I do and expect?
What should I avoid doing/eating?
How do I cope with it?
I'm terribly scared of the effects, will I need HRT immediately, and will I suffer from the adverse effects of menopause shortly or it'll take time?

I'm anxiously waiting for your reply. Thanks!
Sitting here 4 am in the morning , restless from lack of sleep and the nightly hot sweats that do not stop and continue during the day, just less of them.  Had uterine cancer 2 yrs ago to the day at age 51.  Everything removed including ovaries fallopian tubes, cervix.
Vaginal itch, vaginal dryness, even the exterior is raw from waking up in the night scratching.  I have tried creams,none so far that have not worked due to my allergies.  REplens, KY. Dr. will not put me on estrogen cream due to the cancer.  Headed for MRI in April to see if I have breast cancer.
I was glad to be able to read similar stories to mine, as I truly was starting to wonder if my cancer was back, and these were new symptoms, I guess that will plague me in the back of my mind until my 5 yrs of being cancer free comes.  
I have been reading a few that use progesterone cream, would that not have estrogen in it as well?  I read somewhere about using Vit E capsules for lubrication.  Has anyone else heard of that and do they work?  
Glad I stumbled across this forum, look forward to reading more and learning more.
Marie
I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 37. I am now 46 and wondering not only when your approx done with menopause but also how long a woman needs to stay on HRT?. I take Estradot 50 and my doc tells me i need to stay on it till i am atleast 50. I have been very lucky as far as hot flashes/night sweats. I can count on both hands how many times i have suffered it in the past almost 9 yrs. They say the average woman goes 10yrs in menopause but some will go longer and they say it is not good for a woman to be in menopause for more if so why? I wanted to stop taking the HRT years ago as i have been told that women are at high risk of getting cancer,but on the upside HRT can help reduce you chances of ostio and bone breakage. Is a woman better off taking or not?
Not sure where to start but was DX with 2 borderline malignant tumors on my ovaries and had one taken out when I was 35, and the other when I was 40. I am experiencing hot flashes, and pain during intercourse because of sensitivity to tissue but I do not want to be on any HRT or ERT. I am going to see doc today to see what she recommends, but hormones scare me because of the cancer issues. I have two children through IVF, one my eggs when I had one ovary, and other child with donor egg.  But yes I am moody, and I hate that I don't have natural estrogen running in my body. I am carrying 15 extra pounds too, but maybe that is good since some estrogen comes from fat. Still researching, but I have been through hell in a hand bag with all my surgeries, infertility, and quite frankly I am scared to Death of Cancer. But I choose to work-out and control my emotions without snythetic drugs. Plus just scared of Doctors period. I had a muciniuos cyst which was stage 1C.  It's nice to know that your not alone. I had my other ovary removed by the Divinci Method (robot that does orthoscopic surgeries controlled by doctors). At one point a doctor wanted to do an exploratory surgery, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it so I elected to go orthoscopically where insurance would pay because it was "outpatient" procedure. I think I am happy with that outcome, check back with me in ten years if I am still here. What I don't get is they removed my ovaries, and yet still say I can get cancer in the future. Wierd. I feel like a pawn on the chest board waiting for my fate. And I have a husband who is not a good caretaker, and thinks of himself only but that's another story all in itself. I think working out is key, makes me feel balanced as an individual. Just starting on hormone research to see if there is a safe alternative. The wierd thing is I never felt any symptoms, and was found accidently when doing surgery on my tubed to clear them since they were blocked. I had bad scaring on the tubes, and they were twisted and this is how they found the cyst/tumor hiding behind my ovary. All the Vaginal ultrasounds I had, and they couldn't even see it tumor.  That is why I lack confidence in the medical world. Isn't there a blood test to detect any signs of cancer instead of xrays? Why would they give me a vaginal ultrasound to check me when I have no ovaries to look at. Its a waste of time in my book.  By the time they see anything it will be to late. So confusing! Totally getting off hte subject, trying to figure out what I need to do to keep me in check now that I have no ovaries. I am finally done breastfeeing, baby is 8 months, and feel like its time to research. I should have never stopped breast feeding, seems like it is a healthy way to go for me and baby but baby has teeth and she was hurting me. It had to be done.
Just been told I have a mass in my uterus. And to come back to see the surgeon.  I'm 58 and have been to my gp for last 8 yrs.  with migraines, heavy (super) periods. Which are much better in the last 3 yrs.  almost gone...but the headaches are mostly my reason for going to doctor....in general I have been feeling a lot better.  But headaches are more like dizzie and a heavy head...and hot sweats that at times are non stop...my GP did blood tests and x-rays etc.  and the most she found was low iron... She finally sent me to a gyn/ ob. Specialist as a "last resort". Who found a "mass" ...what could this be and what are chances it is cancer....reading so much on line and it's scaring the heck out of me.... Hysterectomy or not? Hormone treatment or not?   I have 2 weeks to go until I see a surgeon....what are some possibilities
Tango,
I hope everything went well with your surgery.  I had to have a partial hysterectomy when I was 35 years old due to endimetrious and a few years ago my doctor found fibroid cysts growing in both my ovaries and they had to be removed.  The day after my surgery to removed my ovaries I thought I was going to die and so did my family.  I went into immediate and severe menopause...no pain medication in the world could help the way that I was feeling. My mom and husband stayed by my bed side with cold towels for my face and body.  They also had the nurses bring in a fan. It was very scary and unnecessary in my opinion...I feel like the doctor did not warn me about how I was going to feel and I think it could have been prevented by putting me on hormone therapy prior to the surgery...regardless of whether of not I wanted to continue HRT or not.  It is awful to put a women through this kind of shock when so many other options are available.
I was interested in your post because it sounds like me. I'm 40 years old and 3 mos ago I had a complete hysterectomy - ovaries taken too. I was put on the patch immediately and within 3 weeks had an allergic skin reaction. Then they put me on Elastrin - a gel you put on your forearm every morning. I have been very edgy and short. I have always been a very happy, patient person, unitl the last few months and I have 2 kids. The Dr. says I need to stay on Estrogen for 10 years, everyone else I talk too, says it causes cancer. If I never had mood problems before...why do I need them?? I have the hotflashes, usually 1 per night, I can handle'm though. I stopped using the gel this past Sunday, to see how it goes...So confused
I had a total hysterectomy 12 years ago due to abnormal cells in cyst...I took synthetic hrt for a couple of months which made me bad tempered and totally awful! I then converted to elleste solo patch (natural plant extract) these were brilliant but a pain to keep stuck on, and after a day or so they looked grubby so I gave up. I have been off hrt for around 6 years now and haven't suffered any ill effects. Only now have I started waking up soaking after night sweats....I don't know whether I'm going through a 'normal' menopause which I still consider myaelf too young to go through. My bone density has improved since after the operation!!! Which is strange. Hope this helps someone x
I am 33 and had a full hysterectomy last October.  I have tried multiple hormone therapies and nothing has worked for me.  I have anxiety and panic attacks and the hormones make them worse.  I have opted to stay off hormones and deal with the night sweats and hot flashes naturally.  I am taking calcium and vitamin D supplements.  My doctor told me at first that I had to take hormones, but after trying multiple ones she finally agrees that my body can not tolerate them.  
I am 51 and had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago.  I have since found out that I have a heritary blood clotting disorder.  I decided to go off the pill form do HRT containing both estrogen and progesterone in favor of BHRT.  I am not sure this was the right direction to go.  I don't want to increase my clotting risk but, I don't want the symptoms of menopause.  I have been told to take an antidepressant and see how I get along.  I have just been on the BHRT for a week, but am uneasy.  Any thoughts
I had a total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, my doctor is saying he does not think I will need to go on any hormone meds, yet the visiting nurse made a comment and said "how does he expect me to get them?"
I am very up and down emotionaly, I am also warm one sec cold the next (in the past I was NEVER cold).
What should I do?  I am 35 and live with my parents and cannot stand hearing call the doctor and get on some meds!!!
I am 57 I had a total hysterectomy due to cystosil, 5 months ago,  GYN advised at my request natural Estroven + Multivitamins.  I feel great except for some white spots on my arms since 3 months ago.  Is very unconfortable to see my arms full of white freckels like.  My Dematologyst has given me some topic cream  LAMIFEN for fungus but. depigmentation is still there.  Does anybody knows of any remedy for my problem? Also, is there any maintanence program for after hysterectomy at my age?.

i had a hystrecomy 2007 they took everything and now its 2012 i was 37 then ive never taken hormones or nothing the hot flashes are killing me and anxiety and insominia and heart flutters... the doctor recommend me vivelle dot patch... im scared side effects.... is it safe 0.25 mg?
Realize this is 4 years later and maybe (hopefully) there has been more education....but I am 40...wanted to keep ovary/uterus.....anything I could since I still wanted to have children..  Found out 4 years ago, after ultrasounds showed (large "growths")....only laparascopy could definitevely show, (including extremely high CA 125 levels)....dr. sent me to  cancer doctor, since, that is ALL (even today), that they really have to go on.  It turned out to be one LARGE obulated endometrioma.  I continued on HRT(the pill) & trying to get pregnant (including 1 round IVF)...until giving up, going to pelvic pain specialist, she tried laparoscopy AGAIN, had to switch to laparotomy (after realizing Stage 4 endo.), which I knew all along, but she stressed trying to save ovary for reasons mentioned above.  In the end, my surgery (not 20 min.!) turned into a ridiculous 7 hour surgery under which, one ureter was pierced, my colon was punctured, and I will probably  continue to have problems "down there" FOREVER.  I say this in response to reading your "keep your uterus" comment.  MANY women would like to, but unfortunately, upon surgical, (or laporoscopy review), not only need their uterus removed, but can have "ruined" other organs, that are finally "cemented" to it!!  (the IT being my UTERUS!).  VERY unfortunately, THERE IS NO WAY OF TELLING IF A WOMAN EVEN "HAS" (nevertheless the level of) ENDOMETRIOSIS  without some type of surgical(even laparoscopy) event!!
What if any benefits are there to the all natural estrogen supplements you can find online (ie amberen, estrovent, estroblend).  Is it possible to correct the hormone imbalance with out taking a ton of prescription medication.  I am a 40 year old that had a full surgical hysterectomy in 2005.  My ob/gyn gave me the patch to wear immediately (actually woke from surgery with one on) and it made me insane.  
I don't want to be like that but I have noticed some memory loss and headaches more recently, and the hot flashes have been getting worse.  
I am miserable, now and want to know what natural alternatives there are.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Jenn
I wanted to know if any of you has been put on Lysteda? I have been put on it and it only seems to be worse.  My cycle has always been irregular and heavy.  Lysteda has decreased the flow but having horrible pains in lower abdominal and a lot of swelling in the torso area(so much that it hurts to wear my genie bra). I also have a bicornate uterus with a beign cysts on an ovary.  I'm almost 41 and was wondering if a hysterectomy would be a better solution?
Your informatiom is very helpful. I too have had a hysterectomy in May 2011 due to heavy periods and cyst on ovaries. I take estradol and it does nothing for the hot flashes and night sweats. I still have the same effects that I had when I was having a period. The headaches and leg aches are still present. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions. Thank you for all the research you've done.
cfine65
Hi!  I had a total hystarectomy 4 months ago due to yrs of pain and other issues.  I'm 45 yrs old.  My doc immediately started me on progesterone to help kill off any residual traces of endometriosis that was present.  I was supposed to stay on this for 6 months before switching to estrogen.  At first, I turned into an ogre!  My family was walking on eggshells around me because no one wanted to set me off again.  As my body adjusted, I started becoming aware of the most wonderful things.  I was losing weight, my body shape was changing for the better, and I stopped eating sweets!  Don't want them.  They don't taste good to me anymore.  I was a diehard sweet addict before my surgery!  I had energy and felt like I had control of my life.

Because my vaginal incision would not heal, he stopped the progesterone and started me on vivelle-dot .1 mg (almost nothing).  At first I just cried all the time about everything but it's getting better.  It's been 3 weeks on estrogen.  I'm trying to decide if I want to stay on this.  I'm having major brain fog, forgetfulness, lethargic, and my face is breaking out.  I have not had the 1st hot flash or any other typical symptom.  Honestly, I'm missing my progesterone!

I'm wondering if my symptoms are caused by the estrogen.  Doc said I could stop it and see of the menopause symptoms got bad and then go back on it, but I'm afraid to make any more changes.  Just not sure about what I need to do.  I cannot tolerate this lack of energy and constant brain fog anymore.  Any suggestions?

Lisa D
Hi, my name is Alison and I'm 28 years old and am scheduled for a total hysterectomy in 4 days. My OB/GYN and GYN ONC are both amazing doctors! I have been dealing with endometriosis and endometrial nomas since about 2 years after I had my first period - 13 years total. They are in the worst places (one rests between my bowel and my vagina...AGONIZING PAIN!). I even have a "depressed" ovary, as it is so weighted down with endometrial tissue that it is left sagging very low! After being told that the largest noma was the size of an orange, I should not plan to have children - I wouldn't be able to carry them if I did get pregnant. Well, we did and I carried him full term with no complications! I did continue to have pain the entire way through my pregnancy though!

Now, my son is 2...I'm 28...and I can't live with this pain. My OB/GYN put me on the Depo Lupron injection as a means to throw my body into pre-menopause and trick it into not knowing how to create endometrial tissue anymore, should I have come off the shot (they also use this injection for women with endo as a fertility treament, as you are extremely fertile when you come off it!). I have only been on it for 9 months, but my nomas have shrunk - and the largest noma shrunk from the size of an orange to that of about an enlarged quarter! Needless to say, I can't take the extreme mood swings it gives me and have opted for a much needed total hysterectomy. My doctor is taking everything - uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and my cervix as cancer runs ramped in my family!

My question to you all is this - I have been on the Depo Lupron injection with an adback of progesterone for the past 9 months. I have been off the shot for 2 months now, but my doctor has had me continue the progesterone, and will have my continue the progesterone until my 6 month post-op mark. He wants to ensure that I do not receive estrogen and that we do not flair up any remaining endometrial tissue that is too small to see or remove. At that time, he said we will discuss the path ahead. I guess my question is - do I need estrogen? Can I just stay on progesterone? I understand that bioidentical hormones are the way to go, but is HRT even necessary? We haven't discussed any of this yet b/c we haven't reached that time frame, but I want to ensure I don't do anything to irritate the scar tissue that may linger. Please help and offer any opinions! Thanks!
I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and still have one ovarie but my question is do I need some type of hormonal replacement??? I have been so moody and one minute I will be crying and the next I'm happy. I can't sleep at night and an very fatigue all the time. No energy at all and my whole body aches. Is this normal???
I'm going though menopause. And I have all the the these that u mentio and more for 7year they have true everything so no we are going to. do a hysterectomy

Duchess
Hi I am 36 and had a total hysterectomy unexpected 3 months ago and i agree you will need them.  I have a local bio identical hormone office.. I just started a cream with testosterone progesterone and estradiol it is all natural.  I have only heard good things. You don't want to start having all these problems then have to fix them... I started a pill form of only estradiol and i felt good.. but that passes thru your liver etc and can cause cancer etc plus hello my obgyn didn't even give me testosterone or progesterone they have great benefits for a long and healthy life.. I have papers on it and number if you need info.. i would not know where to go if i hadn't found out about my local place.. they took my blood wk and i was below low on everything and definitely starting to have low sex drive it seemed ?? already.. i have been on the cream for only a week it takes time but feeling a difference. I definitely think you should look into it before the problems creep up on you and they will..
I had a full hysterectomy about 2 years ago. The day of surgery when I woke up I had major mood rage.... It was horrible. The doctor tried the pills (don't remember the name) but they did not work for me. He then put me on the Patch and it works ok.. I have mood swings bad sometimes and I do not know what to do. I also have bad headaches now and before I didn't. If I wanted to quit taking the patch would it hurt? Would the hot flashes and mood swings get worse? Also the sex drive is gone. I still can have moisture but I just don't want it. HELP PLEASE!!
thank you so much, all the info you just gave answered almost all the question and fears i am having, had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, the healing from the surgery was easy for me by the 2cd week, but the 3rd and fouth week with the hot flashes, mood swings, not being able to concentrate or think at all, is driving me crazy.  i have a doc apt. tomorrow morning and I am confident on my decision of bio-hormonal replacement, and thank you for the names of them, I am going to continue to do research. but i feel so much better with the knowledge I  got from you. thank u so much:)
HI Mary!  Thanks for all the great info. I think it's important to note that  using bio-identica hormones IS hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, just different than Premarin, or non- bio-identical HRT.
As I'm sure you know from your research, you can get cancer from bio-identical hormones, or even from your own production of estrogen, if you are producing too much.
There is so much marketing around bio-identicals that many women think they are the answer to everything.  While there may be real benefits, there are also real risks, as I found out the hard way.  I was on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone, and got uterine cancer.  I had no risk factors, as this is a cancer that generally affects obese women over sixty.  I'm skinny, otherwise very healthy and 50.
My only risk factor for estrogen dominance was the bio-identical estrogen. Maybe the prometrium was not strong enough to counteract the estrogen.  It's super important to get a yearly vaginal ultrasound if you are on any type of estrogen.
Just had complete hysterectomy, and I may eventually go back on very small doeses of bio-identicals, but would certainly caution women to take the smallest dose possible of these hormones, and if you find you do well without them - that's great too.  Women who take good care of themselves and make health a priority will not experience accelerated aging if they forego hormones.  For women who are afraid they will wrinkle up without estrogen, let me tell you that getting cancer causes wrinkles!
Hi , I had a total hysterectomy (vaginal) about 2 months ago due to prolapsed cervix problems for years.  I am age 44 years with 2 kids.  The op and thereafter was no problem.  Now I am clueless, I googled total hysterectomy on wikipedia and the details were either ovaries taken out or remain.  Mine were not taken out.  My present problem is my breasts have increased by at least 2 cup sizes as well as my bum - is this possible? Even though I still have my ovaries.  I know so little about hormones as well as where to look and am so nervous to ask my gny. as I presume HRT will be advised.  I would really appreciate any help on the above.  Chan
I will be 45 in a few days.  In 2009 I had a hysterectomy due to cancer.  I kept my left ovary.  Last month I developed a large cyst that is causing a lot of pain.  My doctor suggested surgery.  At my last appointment, I tried talking to him about hormones.  I ask about bio identical, he said actually not much difference in these and what doctors have been prescribing for yrs.  (not sure I agree with this).  Anyway, I am on thyroid medication, Armor thyroid.  He said it is a real pain to adjust hormone levels when you are on thyroid medication because they work against each other.  I ask when I should consider going on hormones, because I feel tired and wrung out a lot.  He told me that when I started having hot flashes I should consider it then.   Any opinions?
Hi Tammy...I had a TT back in '80 due to Thyroid Cancer....I then had a Total hyster back in '99....I tried many different types of HRTs w/no luck...Premarin being the worse...I have been on Bio-Identical since 2001 and, have to say, I don't know where I'd be emotionally w/out them....Fast fwd to '13 where I recently had hormone blood work done and all my levels are extremely low, which tells me, my body may not be absorbing the "pill form" bio-Ident....I do feel great but I recently heard from a dr how taking estrogen pill form can be very toxic to the liver...Considering my dad, brother and g'father passed away from liver disease, I may have to meet w/my gyno about changing how I take my HRTs....As for you, I would def'ly be taking HRTs....feel free to email me at ***@**** but put Hyster on title caption or it will get deleted....
i had a hysterctomy 2 years ago and my mood swings are bad what do i do i do not feel like myself
I will be 48 this month, I had a total Hy, 3 years ago.  I am on the V -dot patch,  I was wondering can I stop using this or will I have to always use this?
Yes you do need HRT but I would only go with bio-identical hormones. I had a radical hysterectomy in June 2000 at age 38. I chose not to take Premarin because of the chance of breast cancer associated with it. I actually had a friend that was on it for 2 years after her hysterectomy and she got cancer in both breasts. So I didn't use anything and 2 years ago, at age 49 I was told I have osteoporosis in the spine and hip. I did take calcium for most of the years since the surgery. I have been researching so much and I now use the bio-identical hormones cream. I have read most of Suzanne Somers books and I do believe she is right about the bio-identical hormones. I realize your post was 7 years ago so I hope by now you are doing well. As for the hot flashes, when I wasn't on the BHRT, I still had them. Not as bad as right after the surgery but I have also gained 50 pounds since surgery (but after changing eating habits, I lost 20).  I hike quite a bit and run on a treadmill but nothing seems to take off the weight. I am from a very small family; no one in my family weighs near as much as I do. I currently weigh 155 but my weight at age 38 before surgery was 125. My mother and sister have never weighed over 120 (even when they were pregnant). This weight will not come off. I recently started the bio hormones and I am hoping this helps with the osteoporosis and with the weight. Hysterectomies are done way to much and I was told by the surgeon that he would not let me keep the ovaries. My cervical cancer was the size of a pen dot and had not gone deep. I think they should have only taken a small piece of my cervix where the cancer was but I was not given a choice and I was scared. When I asked my doctor why I needed to take Premarin, he said "you just need to because you have had a hysterectomy and you will need to take them the rest of your life." but he didn't explain what the ovary function was and why I would need it. Women need to be better informed before surgery. If I had to do over again, I would try to find a different surgeon however my insurance company dictates what doctors I can see. Anyway, best of luck to all of the women posting here. Hope this helps in some way.
Hi all, I have been reading all of the posts and I am now more scared than ever to have a total hysterectomy at the end of the month. I have had problems for years with endometriosis and fibroids. Several years ago they did a laparoscopy and discovered it all because the ultrasound did not show it. They cleaned me up and told me that eventually it would come back and most likely I would have to have it removed. I am 37 and my periods are normal and not too bad, but my uterus is the size of a 3 1/2 month pregnancy and I have pain but not so bad that I cannot tolerate it. I have had my last two gyn's tell me that surgery was the next option. I mainly am contemplating the surgery because I have horrible PMS from ovulation on and do not feel normal and very irritable. I have tried to see if there is just a hormonal imbalance but feel that it goes unaddressed. I need to know that I will be alright after the surgery and that the mood swings and irritability will not get worse. I am torn on what to do and want to have this done in hopes that I will feel better but it just sounds like it could get worse. I already have hair growth in places that I shouldn't. Any suggestions?
I had a total hysterectomy about 4 years ago, I have not been taking any type of hormones, I have not grown facial hair nor has my voice become manly.  I think those are just old wives tales maybe.  Since having my hysterectomy I have never felt better.  I hope this helps
I had a hystrectomy almost 7 years ago at age 26 almost 27 I had several problrms since age 14 due to Endometriosis. I was told I would never have kids and if I did I would never have problems again well I had 2 kids and still had problems after my first one, after my second I had my tubes tied and needless to say wish I had not done that. A year later I had an ablation done and was told I would not experience any other problems SUPER WRONG I started my cycle 3 weeks after my ablation and in a year I maybe had 5 weeks that I did not have a cycle that was total time not all at once. Well I had another problem with the Endometriosis went to ER where I stayed 12 hrs for them to tell me they found Cancer cells and recommended me to a Gynocologist and  we both agreed that a hystrecomy would be best...ok so my point to explation is this question do I need to find a hormone I am almost 34 and am pretty sure I am experiencing menopause, he had left my left ovary due to my age and I am almost completely convinced it has shut down or is shutting down. I have been having mood swings for a while I have hot flashes but they last for more than just a flash, and let's not even talk about the childish like acne and weight gain...so I am sure I need hormones and want to know if I am correct and if so what would be recommended?
Dear Mary.  I am 40. I initially came to this sight in order to accumulate different thought on full hysterectomy's in solution to what has been a nightmare life of periods and cycles. From the age of 15 I have been bent in two with debilitating cramps. Once a month I heave, throw up and clot badly. I get a huge surge of pain and then pass out, come to in further fits of excruciating pain... and this goes on until i have nothing but stomach acids coming up. eventually after about eight hours it subsides.  I have four days in my cycle where I am not bloated.  And by bloated I do not mean your usual bloating.  I go up sometimes two bras sizes and deviate between an access of 10-15 pounds.  I am exhausted all the time. I feel like I need to shut myself away in order to keep control of my emotions the last two and half weeks of my cycle.  I feel brain fuzzy all the time.  In the last three years the top of my spine has started to collaps forward.  I have joint and muscular pain that has increased with age.  All of symptoms are getting worse with age.  I have been hospitalized during cramp fits several times (once I passed out in the streets and was brought in to the emergency by a complete stranger. Had no recollection of getting into the car)  THey have never found anything wrong.  Nothing has ever been done to help me.  I keep going to doctors and am so tired of hearing that it is in my head.  Something is not right about my hormonal cycle.  I am desperate at this point.  I realize after reading these posts that eliminating my organs and therefore my hormonal system is not the answer.  Do you think that it is possible I have a way lower the average progesterone level?  thanks you for your guidance.  
Hello Theresa?i'm Haidee from the Philippines,almost 2 months when I undergo total hysterectomy,I just wanna ask you,what is your specific herbal products or herbal treatments that I can use also if possible.your reply will be very much appreciated.thanks
Hi I just recently (like 3 days ago) had my last ovary removed due to endometriosis and scar tissue. I read your Dr. put you on Progesterone I'm wondering if you any new endo cells grew back since then? I guess I'm wondering why my Dr. hasn't put me on this if it can help me, after 3 surgeries in 2 years. I'm a little tired of going under the knife.
I had a total hysterectomy at age 32, in 1995, after a series of many surgeries which include tumors, cysts, endometriosis etc. I went on HRT for years, until they found a number of tumors on one breast. I took the best option at that time and went off all hormones, to see if this was the cause. After 6 months, tumors were gone! Needless to say, I stayed off hormones!

Here I am at age 50! After 6 years of nothing, I am starting to have hot flashes, feeling exhausted all the time, weight gain and fatigue. I have a high stress job, and am glad to report, I'm in the best possible marriage anyone could ever have. I say that to say this; I'm a newlywed and don't want to waste one day suffering with all this. I don't want HRT but need something to get through menopause.

What do you suggest?  I'm ready for a change now!  Help!!!
Hello, Ladies my name is Anna I had a total hysterectomy last year April is it completely normal feeling like a basket case, no one understands you I want to run and hide im different.  I hate who I have become always edgy quick to lash out, my poor family all my bones in my body hurt only thing im taking is the minivelle patch.  Will someone please tell me that this to shall pass don't know who to talk to then I found this site.  I would appreciate any advice plzzz, and thank you
I am sorry you are suffering, Anna. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like "a basket case" and "different" and wanting to "run and hide." This hysterectomy surgery has destroyed me in so many ways. I don't even look the same because I aged so quickly! I became a recluse not only because I felt "different" and no longer found it easy or enjoyable to socialize but I also did not want others to see how much I had aged.

I will say though that finding the "right" (right for me) hormone replacement has helped quite a bit. It has improved my SEVERE post-hysterectomy depression, anxiety, sleep, energy, nausea, memory, cognition...general ability to function and be somewhat "engaged" in life. So if you are still having a lot of these types of symptoms, the Minivelle may not be the "right" HRT for you. It can take a bit of trial and error to find "your" HRT but do not give up! There are pills, patches, gels, and vaginal rings from which to choose. Hope this helps!
I'm five weeks recovering from a total hysterectomy, my pain is minimal. What I'm having a hard time with is my emotions, & mood swings. I feel broken, My loving boyfriend is an angel, but I know he wants me back to my old self and I don't want to turn into a monster. I'm current on Minivelle, and not sure what else is out there to help me.  Any advise
Sorry to hear about your hysterectomy and resulting emotional changes. If the Minivelle is not a good option for you, there are many others to try. Just do a search for estrogen and you will find pills, patches, gels, rings. So there are many to try. Good luck.
Thank you, i feel like I'm losing myself & at times I feel lost with no direction to go in, everyone tells me it will pass just give it time. I will research more on estrogen. I'm sorry what you have been through too.
Hello i had a total hysterectomy on halloween last year due to numerous medical issues. Im 52 and a mother of five amazing children and one very happy grandson. My surgery was easy and they took out all my issues. Recovered quickly and back to work 19 days after surgery. Now as i enter one year after the hot flashes havent changed. About 5 a day. Night sweats once a night. Cant do hormone therapy based on cancer history. Not moody at all which was a big fear  i have questions. Had a mammo on Wednesday and had a discharge from both breast. The woman doing it said it was my hormones that caused it. What hormones? I didnt think i had any anymore. So now what do i do. Any thoughts? Thank you for helping
Grace - sorry to hear about your hysterectomy. Did you have breast cancer hence the reason for not being able to take hormones? Studies show that taking estrogen does not increase risk of breast cancer but I don't know if that only applies to women who have not had BC or certain types of BC.

My uterus and ovaries were removed and I have occasional sensations of the "let-down reflex" - not sure what causes it.