Hysterectomy Community
How large is "an enlarged"uterus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

How large is "an enlarged"uterus?

I am 50 yr's old have had 3 children..which are now late in their 20's) and I am scheduled for TAH in December because I have a 13cm fibroid, an," ENLARGED" uterus, cyst on 1 ovary..and lengthy, heavy periods...BUT...how large is an enlarged uterus?

I understand with the type of incision (horizontal or bikini cut) is determined by the surgeon based on how large the uterus is...SO how large is large?

My Dr. is on vacation until just after Thanksgiving, I forgot to ask which direction the incision will be!
I can't say for sure, not being a surgeon, but when I had a myomectomy for fibroids in '01, they did a bikini incision.  I had 4 fibroids removed and they ranged in size from my husband's fist down to a golf ball.  I think they said my uterus was the size of a 16wk pregnancy, but I can't remember how many inches that would be.  Good luck!

Wendy
I just had my enlarged uterus and cervix removed about 12 days ago. It measured 11 x 7.9 x 5.8 cm. They did a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy.
Sorry...didn't mean to click submit yet....lol. She did tell me that the decision would have to be made once they got inside to see what was going on. They could have taken the ovaries this way too but ended up being healthy enough to leave them. I was told that if they did a laparotomy (sp)...mine would have been a 4 to 6 inch incision above the pubic hair line. I hope things go well for you. God bless...Lynn
enlarged is anything outside the high end spectrum of normal, this can be determined by physical exam, ultrasound or MRI, but really the numbers dont matter, sounds like your in for a hysterctomy, the good news is most surgeons do a laprotmomy, which leave you with two tiny scars near ovarys and one tiny  scar in belly button, ask your surgeon forn this, recovery is much shorter and easier and theres less chance of post op infections. good luck to you, just follow post op directions exactly and you will be fine its very very important to do nothing and rest.
I was recently diagnosed with enlarged uterus.  I see the doc next week.  I have had pain in my stomach, heavy montly cycles, and signs of menopause but all hormone levels are normal.  I am 48 years of age.  I am nervous.  Anyone have any idea what they will tell me?
I am hoping that all you will need is a simple D&C   signs of menopause but normal hormones means your perimenopausal....

pain in your stomach? actual stomach? or lower down like uterus area...How bad is your pain? extreame pain can cause stomach issues

I understand your fears.....there are a few things that can cause enlarged uterus...endometrosis, andenomyosis,  begnine tumors, cysts...and the good news is all of these are treatable with a very very high sucess rate....

please let me know what dr has to say.

Cherie
Hi, thanks for replying.

The stomach pain is uterus area.  It happens once in a while. It feels like a sharp knife stabbing, but, doesn't last long.  I've been diagnosed years ago, like 25 years ago with cysts and about 10 years ago with endometriosis.  I've always had menstrual problems and had trouble conceiving, but, had two children.  I recently went to a new GYN because of all my side affects and troubles.