Hysterectomy Community
How long before the swelly belly goes away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hello!  I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy the evening of May 28th and had only my uterus removed.  After careful consideration and some heavy reading, I decided not to have my cervix removed for fear of prolapse sag.  I am religious about my annual pap exams and felt comfortable with my decision.  My GYNO and I agreed that she would only remove my remaining ovary if it was not healthy.  Lucky for me it was ok.  Although I have had little to no pain, (they forced me to take a pain pill before being discharged!) I went from a very flat belly to now having a swelly belly!  I started drinking about 100 ounces of water a day since coming home, but would like to know how long it might take before my stomach bounces back to its normal shape?  It has only been five days.  I am a 52 year old woman who has never had belly issues - this is all very new to me.  I was concerned initially that it was nearly four days before I had a bowel movement.  I started taking stool softeners as soon as I was discharged.  I would encourage anyone who is having a hysterectomy to eat high fiber foods, drink tons of water and take a laxative or something to help move things around.  My doctor did mention that the narcotics would cause the bowels to move much slower - she was right!  BTW - I have not had discharge or any bleeding, and do not feel tired.  I do, however, feel sore and more so on the right side.  Has anyone else experienced soreness on the right sight?  Thanks!    
Do take thinks to help you cope with the anesthesia and pain med constipation.  But during any laparoscopic surgery they have to pump your abdomen full of gas to lift the "ceiling" of the operating field.  Afterward they push the gas out, but they can't get it all out.  Your body will get it out in time, but until it processes the gas, you will appear bloated and may have discomfort.  Everybody goes through it.  
Thank you!  I assumed it was all part of the process  - the bloating that is.....but wondered how long I should expect it?  Is it different for everyone?  My doctor said my recovery should be about three weeks.  S have already fallen out.  I normally heal pretty quickly.  I don't plan to resume working out until my doctor has cleared me to do so.  She did say I I would be able to drive next week.  Yea!  
You really need to take the full 6 weeks the Dr recommended to recover. No heavy lifting, no sex, no stairs and no working out.
You sound like you're recovering quite well. Yes, we're all different and can experience pain in different places. If this becomes bothersome though get in to see your Dr.
Everyone is different in how they recover. I had a full hysterectomy and was back at work after 2 weeks.

I would have returned after 1 week, however, an issue with my 19yr old changed my return date .

My belly maybe lasted swollen about 3 days. I too had the lap surgery and had my last ovary removed. For me the left side was more painful than any other place and when I asked why she said it is because that was the side the surgeon used to insert the bigger instruments.

I was told I could return to work after a week if I felt okay. I guess for me mentally I made myself recover quickly because I had the day surgery on a Mon. (home before 11am) & my son was released from hospital (severe injuries) the next day. So I had to help him out physically because he at the time could not walk on his own. I am also a compulsive cleaner, so I was sweeping and mopping on the 3rd day..

Now I did wait the full 6 weeks before sex. I only waited a week before driving. I was also on Myrlex daily for the past 5-6yrs. so I NEVER became constipated.

Just listen to your body...Only you will know when you are ready to do things.