Hysterectomy Community
Hypoechoic focus at the uterine fondus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hypoechoic focus at the uterine fondus

I am glad I found this forum. Anyway I had serious period pains in the last 3 months, this month was fine though. As a result of the previous pain, and our inability to have concieved (Partly  male factor-low motility), I decided to have a pelvic and full abdomen scan.

Results- There is a 1.3cm vaguely defined hypoechoic focus at the uterine fondus which may represent a fibroid. Please what does this mean? Will this disturb my having children? Please help!

What kind of scan did you have, an ultrasound?  I'd have an MRI of the uterus to follow up.  If it is a fibroid, it will show much better by MRI than on an ultrasound.  I don't know the answer to the question of whether a fibroid interferes with pregnancy, it probably depends a great deal on the size.  I'd see your doctor about an MRI and get some of these questions answered.
hi there, we are not allowed by guidelines to interpert test results.

I can define words though ! it willhelp ease your mind. Hypoechoic is simply the term used when a ultrasound wave has something to bounce off of.Uterine fundus is the cervix.

Fibroids are 99% begnine and most are removed surgically resulting in keeping the ability to concieve (conceive) and carry a child to term possible.

When you do become pregnant your dr may want to suture top of cervix as a precaution at about 20 weeks.

You need to speak with Dr,fibroids can be treated chemically too, your Dr can advise you on the best option for you...

Hugs

Cherie