Hysterectomy: Robotic Assisted or Standard
HI. I am 44. After having symptoms of bloating for 1-2 years, and after seeing many MDs I was diagnosed with a Borderline Tumor Serous type about 2 weeks ago.  The tumor did not show on transvaginal testing, however concurrently i had a large cyst removed from my left ovary and thankfully the other one was found on my right side. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy next week, 4 weeks after my first surgery.   i have the option of having a robotic assisted surgery using the davinci system or i can opt for the standard procedure. I am told there are many benefits of the robotic system to include decreased recovery time, decreased blood loss and better vision during the procedure.  In the end i just want to be well.  The robotic system seems to lack long term studies and i do not want to be a statistic on the shortcomings of new technology. Which surgical type in your opinion is more beneficial? Thank you.
I have studied this for a long time and I had a DaVinci hyster, its by far very very superior as for method, It is true less blood loss, smaller incisions, more precise ability to make smaller cuts, cauterisations etc..I have not heard of anyone having a negative experience with this. The one thing is a surgeon has to be especially trained to use the DaVinci, I would not want to be one of his/her first few cases. you have the right to ask your surgeon how many of these he has performed and I would recomend doing that, if they have done many, go for it, if not try finding a different gynecological surgeon. A standard surgeon may be qualified to do this also, but personally I believe in using specialist for all surgerys, Just my very honest opinion.I am going to send you a private message to be sure to read it its important.
there is an Oct 28th 2008 post on the same question answerd by a valued intelligent member named Laney.She had a robotic assisted also, if you read that post it will help you too.