Hysterectomy Community
Hysterectomy after endometrial ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy after endometrial ablation

Hi...I had an endometrial ablation and tubal ligation exactly 2 years ago.  I was "ok" for about 6 months after the procedure but then I started noticing big changes with my body.  First, was the weight gain (15 pounds within the six months post-ablation) and a very swollen belly that made me look pregnant.  Then, I noticed when I should be having a period the flow was gone but I was having incredibly painful cramps, especially in my lower back.  It has only gotten worse over the years, the lower back pain, and now it is at the point where it hurts everyday, all day long to no relief.  Excruciating pain in my lower back, just like menstrual or labor pains. I feel like my back is just broken.

I have read how many ladies have had problems after their ablation with pain and abdominal swelling and had to get hysterectomies to find relief.  My question is, for anyone that has had a hysterectomy after ablation, did it help?  Did your pain and cramps subside/stop?  Do you feel like your life is back to normal now with the hysterectomy?  Please, I look forward to any comments or suggestions on this.  I am at the end of my rope.
I did have a hysterectomy. It was because of severe endometreosis though. Have you been back to your Gyno to tell him/her what's going on? It must be horrible having the back pain every day. I wish I could give you more advice but, only your Dr can tell you what's best.
Dont do it and if you decide to then leave the estrogen making ovaries. I regret mine.
I'm having the exact same problems you are having.  Did you have the hysterectomy?  I don't know what to do.  I did have a diagnostic lapr. done on 10/19/12.  My doctor found that my uterus was fused to my abdomen.  She cut my uterus off my abdomen, then looked around to make sure my bowls were in tact, and nothing else was out of the ordinary.  My first two days out of surgery I felt amazing.  My stomach went down, my back, and leg pains were gone.  I didn't feel like I was seven months pregnant anymore.  But that was short lived.  Here I am six days from surgery, and I feel like I did before going in.  I'm wondering if my cervix is sealed, and fluid is backing up in my uterus, or I have adenomyosis that makes the uterus swell with each cycle that comes along.  I don't bleed, but go through all the physical stuff, but ten times worse.  I feel swollen most days, with a constant back ache.  I also have issues emptying my bladder when I'm swollen.  It's only after my cycle (I get about 3-4 days) I get a release, like my bladder is emptying properly.  It's an aweful feeling.  Has anyone else felt like this too?  And if so, what did you do about it?  I'm desperate.....Thanks, Sandy
I have the EXACT same story. Just wondering if you ended up getting a hysterectomy, and if that helped. Anyone???
I have a hysterectomy scheduled for September 4th, and am in terrible back pain and constant cramps and bladder is not emptying properly. Even my bowels are sluggish. I am terrified to wait until September 4, thinking that this is just going to be worse by then because every day gets worse. Please respond!! My life is so unmanageable right now. All kinds of bloating, i cannot hold up my posture properly. I cannot think about anything else, etc... I would really like to know what happened to you (to everyone on this post!!)
Have you been checked by a doctor (preferably not the one who did the ablation) to see if your cervix is stenotic from the procedure itself or the loss of hormones? If it is then you could have blood trapped in your uterus which can cause debilitating pain. Some women who have had ablations have a procedure periodically to dilate their cervix to allow the blood to escape.

I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago and I would describe it as the surgery that just keeps on giving (problem after problem). Of course, if nothing works to give you relief from this post ablation syndrome pain then you may have no other choice.

Best of luck to you!

Where do I begin??? I've had 12 major operations over the last 14 years, all gyane related. My first was when I was 22, I had a massive ovarian cyst which contained cancer. I've since had ops for ectopic pregnancies, womb ablation, subtotal hysterectomy (31 yrs old, 6 months after ablation). During my hysterectomy my surgeon had to separate my uterus from my bowel, bladder, cervix and ovary. Everything was stuck together due to scar tissue/pelvic adhesions. My surgeon believed that the pelvic adhesions were the cause of the horrific pain I was experiencing. I was fine for approx 3 years after my hysterectomy when the cramping and back pain returned with a vengeance. I was refereed to a surgeon who specializes in removing pelvic adhesion via key hole surgery. Had this op in 2010 and felt like a new woman after a 3 week recovery period...no cramping or back pain and a fantastic quality of life!!! Fast forward 18 months later and the pain was back. not as server, but still debilitating. I was given drugs for endometriosis as my surgeon was concerned about having to perform yet more surgery, this didn't work. I had more key hole surgery performed 3 weeks ago. My ovary, bladder and cervix were had stuck together again and my appendix was also covered in scar tissue, so the surgeon removed this too. 19 days later, the cramps and back pain is back, I'm so tired of this :( x
Wow, you sure have been through a lot! I am sorry that you are still suffering from pain. So many women continue to suffer with endometriosis pain after having a hysterectomy. That disease is really tough to manage. I hope you find something that gives you relief!