Hysterectomy Community
Hysterectomy and bladder repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy and bladder repair

I have been diagnosed with level 2 proplapse. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy and bladder repair surgery.
My GYN preferres to do this surgery by himself. He uses a bladder tie up method because the sling or mesh repair of the bladder has proven to cause problems down the road-materials used eventually wear through that area.

My question, has anyone had the bladder repair surgery that uses stitches to anchor the bladder? He will perform the hysterectomy through the vagina and will perform the bladder tie up by making two holes in lower pelvic area and then stitch bladder up. What is the success rate for this type of surgery?
I personally have not had this surgery but my aunt did many years ago and she has had no problems with it.
Please keep us up to date on how your doing and take care. Remar
Thank you for the information. I am a bit nervous about this surgery. I know it is necessary based on the situation. Your information definitely helps. My surgery is scheduled for November 3rd. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I will be able to help someone else as you have for me.
Your very welcome. I wish I could have been more help to you though.Write down all of your questions and take them to your Dr.
Are you having just your uterus removed? Or a radical hysterectomy?
I know it's scary to have any kind of surgery because you don't know what to expect.
We'll be here for you every step of the way. Take care. Remar
Your the patient which means your the boss not your DR..if you want to call a urologist or a urosurgeon on board you have that right. I have heard many success storys of stitch up for bladder repair. and there has been some bad media about mesh as of late.

good luck , C
I have had surgery twice in the past 3 years for pelvic floor problems (rectocele and cystocele
repairs, and hysterectomy, vaginally). The first surgery failed, and I felt that I didn't research
the surgeon sufficiently.
  You are correct to be nervous about the surgery-
it can cause nerve damage to the bladder, it can need to be repeated--in which case there
is again risk of nerve damage.
My advice would be to research urogynecologists in your area, and find someone who
does this alot, and comes highly recommended by other doctors. If you do that, you will
find one or two names that keep coming up.
Surgery is like any fine-motor skill--the more you do it, the better you get at it.
That was top notch advice thank you.