Hysterectomy Community
Hysterectomy and bladder repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy and bladder repair

I have been diagnosed with level 2 proplapse. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy and bladder repair surgery.
My GYN preferres to do this surgery by himself. He uses a bladder tie up method because the sling or mesh repair of the bladder has proven to cause problems down the road-materials used eventually wear through that area.

My question, has anyone had the bladder repair surgery that uses stitches to anchor the bladder? He will perform the hysterectomy through the vagina and will perform the bladder tie up by making two holes in lower pelvic area and then stitch bladder up. What is the success rate for this type of surgery?
I personally have not had this surgery but my aunt did many years ago and she has had no problems with it.
Please keep us up to date on how your doing and take care. Remar
Thank you for the information. I am a bit nervous about this surgery. I know it is necessary based on the situation. Your information definitely helps. My surgery is scheduled for November 3rd. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I will be able to help someone else as you have for me.
Your very welcome. I wish I could have been more help to you though.Write down all of your questions and take them to your Dr.
Are you having just your uterus removed? Or a radical hysterectomy?
I know it's scary to have any kind of surgery because you don't know what to expect.
We'll be here for you every step of the way. Take care. Remar
Your the patient which means your the boss not your DR..if you want to call a urologist or a urosurgeon on board you have that right. I have heard many success storys of stitch up for bladder repair. and there has been some bad media about mesh as of late.

good luck , C
I have had surgery twice in the past 3 years for pelvic floor problems (rectocele and cystocele
repairs, and hysterectomy, vaginally). The first surgery failed, and I felt that I didn't research
the surgeon sufficiently.
  You are correct to be nervous about the surgery-
it can cause nerve damage to the bladder, it can need to be repeated--in which case there
is again risk of nerve damage.
My advice would be to research urogynecologists in your area, and find someone who
does this alot, and comes highly recommended by other doctors. If you do that, you will
find one or two names that keep coming up.
Surgery is like any fine-motor skill--the more you do it, the better you get at it.
That was top notch advice thank you.
hi, unfortunately when I did my surgery I didn't know what I know now.
from start my surgery was a nightmare I got the mash tape lift and is been 5 years  with recurrent bladder infection ,frequent urination day and night
and if I don't make it to the restroom on time I have accidents.my advised to you ladies don't have that smash tape implanted on you please. I have been on antibiotics for 5 years I have tried medication to help me with the need to go so many times,  and the only thing that medication is doing retaining my urine  but the need to go still there. Meaning I still have the urge but cant empty my bladder. good luck .............
I am sorry you are "stuck" with this mesh and all its complications! An 80 YO relative just had her bladder suspended and her surgeon used her own tissue. Unfortunately, it seems too many of these surgeons do not learn how to fashion a "sling" from a woman's tissues. And the medical device companies will likely just keep marketing their sling products or come up with a new one that will cause the same or new problems.
thank you for your kindness
yes is so sad that you go to the hospital to take care one problem and you come out with six. Not only the bladder but I think I have scar tissue from the uterus been cut because it is so painful to the touch on the left hand side that makes me scream when in contact  with something. Good luck to everyone, any comments or suggestions are welcome.
I understand the scar tissue pain. I have occasional excruciating lower abdominal pain which may be from scar tissue. And my bowels do not work properly...all from an unwarranted hysterectomy. Unfortunately, my gyn of 20 years was not the trustworthy person I thought he was :(