Hysterectomy Community
Hysterectomy and bladder repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy and bladder repair

I have been diagnosed with level 2 proplapse. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy and bladder repair surgery.
My GYN preferres to do this surgery by himself. He uses a bladder tie up method because the sling or mesh repair of the bladder has proven to cause problems down the road-materials used eventually wear through that area.

My question, has anyone had the bladder repair surgery that uses stitches to anchor the bladder? He will perform the hysterectomy through the vagina and will perform the bladder tie up by making two holes in lower pelvic area and then stitch bladder up. What is the success rate for this type of surgery?
I personally have not had this surgery but my aunt did many years ago and she has had no problems with it.
Please keep us up to date on how your doing and take care. Remar
Thank you for the information. I am a bit nervous about this surgery. I know it is necessary based on the situation. Your information definitely helps. My surgery is scheduled for November 3rd. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I will be able to help someone else as you have for me.
Your very welcome. I wish I could have been more help to you though.Write down all of your questions and take them to your Dr.
Are you having just your uterus removed? Or a radical hysterectomy?
I know it's scary to have any kind of surgery because you don't know what to expect.
We'll be here for you every step of the way. Take care. Remar
Your the patient which means your the boss not your DR..if you want to call a urologist or a urosurgeon on board you have that right. I have heard many success storys of stitch up for bladder repair. and there has been some bad media about mesh as of late.

good luck , C
I have had surgery twice in the past 3 years for pelvic floor problems (rectocele and cystocele
repairs, and hysterectomy, vaginally). The first surgery failed, and I felt that I didn't research
the surgeon sufficiently.
  You are correct to be nervous about the surgery-
it can cause nerve damage to the bladder, it can need to be repeated--in which case there
is again risk of nerve damage.
My advice would be to research urogynecologists in your area, and find someone who
does this alot, and comes highly recommended by other doctors. If you do that, you will
find one or two names that keep coming up.
Surgery is like any fine-motor skill--the more you do it, the better you get at it.
That was top notch advice thank you.
hi, unfortunately when I did my surgery I didn't know what I know now.
from start my surgery was a nightmare I got the mash tape lift and is been 5 years  with recurrent bladder infection ,frequent urination day and night
and if I don't make it to the restroom on time I have accidents.my advised to you ladies don't have that smash tape implanted on you please. I have been on antibiotics for 5 years I have tried medication to help me with the need to go so many times,  and the only thing that medication is doing retaining my urine  but the need to go still there. Meaning I still have the urge but cant empty my bladder. good luck .............
I am sorry you are "stuck" with this mesh and all its complications! An 80 YO relative just had her bladder suspended and her surgeon used her own tissue. Unfortunately, it seems too many of these surgeons do not learn how to fashion a "sling" from a woman's tissues. And the medical device companies will likely just keep marketing their sling products or come up with a new one that will cause the same or new problems.
thank you for your kindness
yes is so sad that you go to the hospital to take care one problem and you come out with six. Not only the bladder but I think I have scar tissue from the uterus been cut because it is so painful to the touch on the left hand side that makes me scream when in contact  with something. Good luck to everyone, any comments or suggestions are welcome.
I understand the scar tissue pain. I have occasional excruciating lower abdominal pain which may be from scar tissue. And my bowels do not work properly...all from an unwarranted hysterectomy. Unfortunately, my gyn of 20 years was not the trustworthy person I thought he was :(
Hello there, I am facing both surgeries. Was wondering how you are making out and trying to get all my questions together. Sure would like feel back
I had my hysterectomy many years before I had prolapse repairs so my story and journey is fairly long...but I will share my shortest version and please ask more questions and I will honesty you with what I have experienced...
first...hysterectomy was because of endometriosis and they took my ovaries...biggest regret of my life...but many women go on to live happy lives...so we are all VERY different...I had this done by an oby/gyn who is not a specialist in either endometriosis or pelvic organ prolapse! I would NOT let a gynecologist preform this delicate surgery! The specialist you need is a Urogynecologist...if you hope to have a hopefully good outcome!
I had a prolapsed uterus before I had it removed...but then after they removed it...they did not tack up my vaginal cuff so PLEASE ask the dr if he/she will be doing this ~ Again see a uro/gyn NOT a gynecologist! I just want you to have ALL the info...
so when they removed my uterus it opened up that space and I ended up with rectocele, cystocele , entrocele as well as rectal prolapse and rectal intussusception...my levator muscles were torn and had fallen to the base of my pelvis so I had been unable to have a natural bm for years...so I interviewed 5 uro/gyns before making my final decision on which to go to and this was after a few years of researching my issues to figure out what I thought was going on....it was between two...one was close to home and one I had to travel several states away which was daunting to say the least...but I ended up seeing the one I had to travel to because this dr. was not only a  urogynecologist...but was also an endometriosis specialist and this dr. was willing to fix everything she found wrong inside me...the Dr. did feel mesh was necessary due to the severity of the state of my pelvis and we discussed this at length via email for over a year before I finally scheduled the surgery...I met the dr. the day before my surgery at my appointment to do the "official hands on exam" (I had some tests done prior in my home state so I would not have to be there so long) we talked for almost 2 hours...next day surgery...was 6,5 hours long...they did a mesh Sacrocolpopexy (which addressed both the rectocele and cystocele), mesh rectopexy, removed 1/2 my colon, removed adhesion's, endometriosis, sewed my muscles back together and the entrocele back in place and did botox injections because I also have severe pelvic floor dysfunction...I went from not being able to have a bm without enemas or colonics (laxatives quit years prior) to have 4-6 bm's a day...life was going along quite nicely but then the pelvic floor dysfunction seemed to get worse...most likely as the botox wore off the muscles went back to a contracted state that they had been in for soooo long...and I  developed a new rectocele...the first one was higher up and this one was a low or distal rectocele which meant I had to splint with my thumb to have a bm...this was 11 months out from the surgery...but the mesh repairs were still perfectly in place...so I then went on to have the new rectocele repaired vaginally along with the perineal descent and things got better...I was using vaginal valium to help with the hypertonic pelvic muscles, but my pain seemed to be getting higher more like when my endometriosis was at it's worst...I wanted to do another round of botox and my original surgeon agreed as we still communicate and it will be 3 years in December although the second (vaginal repairs) were done by my second choice surgeon...anyway...this local urogyn did not want to do the botox but had for the second time brought up the interstim...first time I said NO THANK YOU...but the second time it was suggested we had reached our out of pocket maximum because I had the second pop surgery and then had to have my gallbladder removed so because it was a trial thing...my hubby and dr. convinced me I had nothing to lose...so I went for (I also have interstitial cystitis) so I had the trial with the cord coming out of my sacrum for 2 weeks it made it so I did not have to pee every hour on the hour (which was actually better then years prior because I had retrained my bladder) so it helped so I had the permanent one put in (4 surgeries last year) and my repairs are holding...I am doing so much better and would do ALL of it again..but I am not 100% fixed or pain free...I always wonder what's causing what...my bladder has been raging again at me for the past couple weeks so who knows what's causing it, but if it doesn't stop I am going to have to go see the dr...I have felt for mesh erosion and do not feel it...and I do feel like my bladder has come down a bit since my Sacrocolpopexy...but that is the nature of gravity....so I think we all REALLY need to go into it with our eyes wide open, research, see the best of the best and be realistic of the outcome as well as take things in stride as they come...I do not expect my pelvic floor to ever be what it was prior to the endometriosis and the scarring it caused, the surgeries I have had and just getting older and gravity...so I try to take the good with the bad and if it gets to bad I will just go in and have it resolved ...some how...
Good luck...please seek a urogyneclogist to do this surgery!