Hysterectomy Community
Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy at age 45 due to a benign tumor on my left ovary as well and fibroids.  This was done in October 2011.  The surgery did provide pain relief from the painful periods, and constant fibroids, but 9 days after my surgery I started with a major depression that has not gone away.  After having my bloodwork taken, my thyroid was hypo active and that was corrected.  My estrogen was found to be at 0 which meant I was in menopause and we did not figure that out until at least 6 months after the surgery.  The depression has been very bad.  I have tried 3 psychiatrists and the last one diagnosed me as being bipolar and after three medications for bipolar treatment being taking simultaneously for 18 months, it did not make a dent in my depression.  Finally she gave up on me and I am still having major depression attacks.  She weaned me off of the meds, and now I don't know where to go or what to do.  There has to be something to help.  I saw my surgeon who mentioned he has heard of women who go into early menopause having a hard time with their hormones and it can cause horrible menopause.  Has anyone heard of this and can anyone recommend a specialist to me?  I'm in NJ and can get to NYC.  Thank you in advance.
Did something tragic happen around same time. Are both ovaries gone because you might have to have estrogen certain amount. Some people suffer from depression have to get right meds effexron worked for me . With seroquel. Is also for bipolar. Don't give on trying to find a doctor that will help you. There definitely has to be one who cares about your wellbeing good luck
It is likely the estrogen deficiency that is causing the depression. I also had a hysterectomy (in 2006) and quickly spiraled into a severe depression...did not want to live. Of course, the rapid aging and many other problems brought on by the hysterectomy did not help matters. Getting the "right" form and dose of  estrogen cured my depression. I never even bothered with anti-depressants since I figured it was all triggered by the loss of ovarian hormones. Are you on estrogen?
Did you have a full hysterectomy?  If so, they usually put you on estrogen. I believe your hormones are out of whack. Why don't you have a hormone panel run? That should tell you real quick what you need.

I can tell you I personally have been through hormone-hell since I had a full hysterectomy in 2010. I was put on Estradiol 1 mg. did well for one year. Then started getting severe hot flashes and facial hair growth, wasn't sleeping well either. So, I took it upon myself to stop the Estradiol. Oh my goodness, what a huge mistake! I lost HUGE amount of my hair, went to hospital twice because of labored breathing, nearly everywhere I touched my arms Id have bloody bruising, sleep was only dozing, that list could goes on. So then, I went to bio-identical hormones. They drove me crazy, never consistent. They mix every batch different no matter what they say. So I finally went back to 1 mg estradiol pill. That's where I am now but I'm starting to have neck pain and stiffness, occipital neuralgia, leg cramping and shortness of breath. My GP just did a hormone panel again and said I need progesterone and wrote an RX. Omg, here we go again. I wish I'd never have had a hysterectomy. Risking cancer would have been preferable over this I believe. I'm still on a roller coaster so I know how you feel.
So very sorry to hear you also fell into the hysterectomy trap. It really is shocking how many of us there are who did not even need organs removed. And it's even more shocking how the medical community tries to downplay these horrific effects even though they are proven by medical studies.

But just think how much money would be lost by gynecologists and hospitals if it were not for the hysterectomy industry. Pharmaceutical companies also profit handsomely from HRT drugs and drugs to treat health issues caused by hysterectomy and/or oophorectomy. Specialist doctors also profit by treating the conditions caused by organ removal.

It is odd that the estradiol tablets stopped working. That is one of my fears. I also use estradiol but let mine dissolve between cheek and gum so I do not get the first pass through the liver. It has been working well so far.

Did your hair stop falling out when you started back on the estradiol? If so, how long did it take to stop? Mine has been falling out for the most part since my surgery in 2006. I do not know what to try any more to get it to stop! I have lost most of my hair :(