Hysterectomy Community
Is it normal to have severe lower back pains after hysterectomy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is it normal to have severe lower back pains after hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy about 8 weeks ago. I still feel pain in my lower abdomen, which I was told was normal and I feel it swelling by the end of the day having spent 7 hours in the office. What concerns me the most is the severe lower back pains. Regardless of what I do, it's there. I can be sitting or standing or lying down, it's just painful. I have a hard time bending down to pick up something off the floor. Is that normal?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
599170_tn?1300977493
It seems that about 1/2 of the women reporting post op pains include LBP. it is reasoned by doctors that it is due to the cutting of muscles during the surgery. Most women are fine within a month to 6 weeks as far as the back pain goes. I suffered from this post op also, my doctor went as far as to explain it could be partially due to the positon one is physically placed in during the surgical procedure. Also if your uterus was enlarged and placing pressure on organs causing pressure on spine, your body is adjusting to new anantomy.

Im hoping you reported this at your 6 week post op..When bending bend with the knees not at the waist, and perhaps try an ice pack on the spine , sometimes cold works far better than heat to reduce pain..If your not feeling better with in a few days I would recommed reporting back to the doctor.

Best wishes,,cherie
Blank
408163_tn?1242953101
Hi there,
I agree with Cherie!!! One other possibility is that when they removed your uterus and cut the ligaments that hold it in place, you are having referred pain from that. It definitely should settle down, but again, agreeing with Cherie, wouldn't hurt to give the doctor a call. Did you have endo? That can be another culprit for post op back pain. I hope you feel better soon and get some relief. Pain is no fun, especially after the surgery you had.
Good luck and keep us posted
Laney
Blank
I am currently alow having back pain and lower abdomen pain. My drain area was still bleeding up until Monday this week. I am still taking my pain pills but I am afraid because I am driving and going back to work but I can't sleep at night due to the pain, I am having trouble standing up straight but I think this is due to the 2nd time they cut my stomach wide open. Did any one have their pubic area cut as well, they cut me from my puebic area to under my sturnom?

Sandie
Blank
I slipped and fell on wet floor 13 months ago, The terrible pains never went away, anyway  9 months after the fall I did partial hysterectomy at the end the back pains are even worst.An xray reveals a bulge in the disc but that was before the operation ,What can i do?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hysterectomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...