Hysterectomy Community
Large Fibroids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Large Fibroids

I have dealt with large fibroids for the past 5 years.  Generally my fibroids haven't caused pain or bleeding.  But now I have  worse bloating than i did before and I am very uncomfortable.  My uterus is as large as a 4 or 5 month pregnancy and I cannot fit in any of my clothes anymore. I can't walk on my feet like I used to, since I am carrying this extra load. I almost feel like I have to shop in the maternity section to cover this buldging belly.  I am not nearly as active as I used to be and I used to be in pretty good shape.  This huge belly of mine is causing me a lot of discomfort and embarrassment.  I have always said I would wait until after menopause since there is a chance fibroids will shrink.  A hysterectomy is a major surgery and scares me to death, because if you don't have an experienced surgeon, you could have a lot of problems.  I also worry about the hormones afterwards.  I already have low thyroid levels and am taking meds for this now.  Please give me some direction.  I am 50 years old and am over the child bearing years and I don't need my uterus anymore.  Do most women have a full hysterectomy or a partial for this problem?  I guess it is an individualized decision.  However, I am so uneasy about this surgery.  Should I be this concerned more about these fibroids growing in me or the surgery itself?  Please help!!!!
I had a large fibroid about the size of yours. Mine was cuasing some pressure and some pain. Besides the fact, like you, my clothes started getting smaller. I had surgery in May 2008. I had a partial, kept ovaries and cervix, I am 35. Yes, I have read they do shrink after menopause but how much? The surgery was worse but then again not as bad as I thought. Confused. I managed to get a really bad UTI which I think made things much worse, and have had some bladder problems since, 4 antibiotics. But I do feel better. A load is off. I don't have to get up 4-5 times a night to use the restroom. Clothes fit better. Don't feel as bloated. GI system is working great. The only big issue is some bladder and then a issue with body image. I gained weight, due to inactivity (student), I don't like the scar.
I don't know if they would take your ovaries or not? You are nearly in menopause. Find a really good doctor. You may be able to due embolization. It would probably depend on how many fibroids you have ect.
Hang in there! once you decide you will start to feel relief. I did.
I don't like the bloating, that could be a sign of something more serious, please get checked asap.  
Thank you both for your reply.  I plan on getting another MRI as soon as possible to see if my fibroids are getting bigger.  It feels as if they are, or like u said, there could be something else going on.  I had ultrasound and MRI 2 years ago but I definitely need one again.  
Hi, I am 43 years old and facing a possible (most likely) hysterectomy myself and was pretty worried till some nice people in this forum told me not to worry. My personal physician also took time with me to ease my fears.  i have been having pain in the left side of abdomen for the last 6 weeks. They did a pelvic ultrasound which confirmed fibroid tumors in the uterus.Before the last 6 weeks I have not had any major bleeding, have had some pain with my periods but the last 2 have been rough. They want to do the hysterectomy because my CA125 levels came back elevated at 46. I am seeing another doctor hopefully next week if I get the referrral for a second opinion. They advised me to get the laporascopic surgery done to check inside the ovary and mass to possibly test for cancer. I heard from my doctor that the CA125 can be false positive and told me not to panic.I am concerned like you if I really need this surgery and if they will do a full hysterectomy? I still have alot of tests to get through before I start assuming what will happen. Hope you find out what is going on with you and if they do surgery I wish you well.
Thank you for your well wishes Becky!  I also hope ALL goes WELL with you, too.
I'm sorry I don't know what the CA125 levels are?
I have actually had ultrasounds and MRI's before and I was told my fibroids are very large, so large that they covered my ovaries which they could not see by an ultrasound.  They offered me a hysterectomy a couple years ago and I refused, hoping menopause would ease the symptoms.  I am 50 and going through the pre menopause years now.   We just moved and it will take me awhile to find a doctor that I trust and like as I had before.  The lady doctor I saw recently I am not crazy about so I will keep on looking for the best one for me.  I have had 2 friends that wished they never had a hysterectomy due to the post hysterectomy problems they're having but then i have also had people tell me how much happier they are afterwards and how their lives are so much better now.  A major surgery like a hysterectomy should be taken very seriously and you should be completely happy with the surgeon you pick.  Thanks for responding!  
Hi, thank you for getting back with me. I feel like I am going through some of the same symptoms as menopause such as night sweats and hot flashes. So yes I am hoping to find a good doctor who can tell me what my options are. I will get back to you. Take care of yourself.
Yes Becky, please do let me know how all goes for you and you take care of yourself too!!!!