Hysterectomy Community
Leg Numbness s/p Abdominal Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Leg Numbness s/p Abdominal Hysterectomy

I am 33 years old.  I am 3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy + bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (after diagnosis of endometrial hyperplasia with atypia).  My right leg is numb from the knee to nearly the hip.  In addition to the numbness, I am experiencing what feels like "bursts" of electrical currents.  Walking makes the site feel better.  Lying in bed is the worst.  I cannot get it into a comfortable position.  I am to the point of tears.

I know this is common.  Is there anything I can do to help this situation?  How long does it take typically?  Is there any medication I can take to soothe the feeling?  The nomral pain meds from surgery do not help.
I had some similiar problems.  Some things to try is sleeping with a pillow between your knees and try upping your sodium and potassium intake - chips and bananas.  That worked for me.  Good luck!
I had a radical hystorectomy and had similar symptoms.  The surgeon said that the nerves can be affected in that area.  I started taking Neurontin at bedtime and it completely went away.  That was over a year ago and I'm finally off of that medication :)  Can't hurt to ask.