Hysterectomy Community
Leg Pain post Op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Leg Pain post Op

Has anyone else had pain in the lower (calf) leg after surgery?  When I stand and put pressure on foot the pain stings, or if I touch it. It almost feels like a phlebitis,,,,vein inflammation.  Thanks
I never had it, but my doctor did tell me that if I did, I would need to get to the doctor asap because it would probably be a blood clot.
Hi Madge!

I sent you an email. I would call your doctor tomorrow, or go to the ER because more then likely they will do a doppler ultrasound on your lower calf to see if it is a blood clot.

It happened to me 2 years ago.
How is your leg? I hope all is well.
Teresa
Thanks.  Its been alternatine days....one day it hurts the next day not, so I think it must be nothing too bad.......I did call the doctors also
Hello, I found this site/message board after googling chronic leg pain after hysterectomy.

About a month ago I saw my primary doctor( not my surgeon) and told him of my leg pain.  He checked for a leg pulse at my ankles and said I had a good pulse which meant I had good circulation.  However, I am still having aching leg pain, especially at night.  I also mentioned this to another one of my doctors and he thought it could be restless leg syndrome and he put me on medicine.  I didn't like the way I felt after taking the medicine( 1 tablet a day) plus my leg pain wasn't subsiding; so I stopped taking the medicine.  I had my surgery on Aug. 3 and have been back to work since Sept. 17th.  Since that time I have volunteer for a breast cancer walk, feeding riders for an MS Bike tour in NJ and vacationed in Key West where I walked daily( for about 3 days) and it seemed like I must have walked 5 hours each day.  Bottom line - my leg still hurts!  I can actually touch my thigh and calf , slightly rub my leg and feel pain.  Since I spoke to 2 doctors and neiter would prescribe a test for a doppler ultrasound I do not know what to do.  Four years ago, at age 61, my mother died from sepsis brought on from complications from open wounds on her legs that she had due to lymphedema.  I am truly frustrated!  I did not have pain like this prior to my surgery.

I am sorry for the long post.  Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.
Redness and warmth usually accompany blood clots.  Another test is to stretch and point your toes up  and does that hurt.
I am in the medical field. Sounds like a blood clot to me. I can't believe your doctor checked a pulse in your foot and said all is well. These blood clots are venous, not arterial, they do not change the flow of blood to your foot. You need to see another doctor. If this is a blood clot you need treatment. The longer it goes and the more you walk, the worse it could be. If you have leg pain after surgery with tenderness I can't see it being denied. Tell your current doctor, your surgeon, that you want a venous ultrasound, if nothing else, better safe that SORRY!

As for restless leg syndrome, it usually does not occur overnight.  I urge you to see another doctor, and thank God that my doctors aren't just "throw a pill at it". This is serious business!
I did have a dopler and all was ok. Always best to have it checked though.
I have been suffering from leg pain for 12 weeks. I've had ultrasounds checking for blood clots, bonescans ect, im now waiting to get in with a nerve specialist.Cant walk, can barley stand in shower. i should mention that i am only 34 years old and otherwise a healthy woman.Pain is not unlike a constant charlie horse in just my left calf with jolts of pain that run up my entire leg.although the pain meds help me sleep, im going out of my mind.Has anyone experienced this??