Hysterectomy Community
Leg and hip pain after totel hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

4798801?1251068644
I had my total lapascopic hysterectomy Oct.2008. I'm having severe hip and leg pain every night and day. What can I do? My doctor took me off the hormone replacement patch due to my major endometriosis and want me to heal compleately first. I been off the patch for three months now. The pain is all the way to my feet, when I sleep or when I sit. I dont know what to do or what to take. Please please help me. My abdoninal pain still exist as well. But my hip and leg pain out wiegh any other pain I have.
Did you have ovaries removed? by total hysterectomy thats what most people mean you had your surgery almost one year ago and dr thinks your still healing? Id think youd be completley healed quite some time ago, and I do not understand taking you off the HRT patch because it was contibuting to endometriosis, estrogen can feed endo tissue, I am assuming you were on a estrogen patch, right?

Pain  from hip to feet? have you been in a car accidnet or had a slip and fall any other trauma besides the surgery.? there is no reason I can even think of for pain to radiate from hip to foot other than a neurological issue, does your toes ever get tingly or numb? any spinal pain?

I would suggest a return visit to your gyno he may need to remove some more endo tissue or scar tissue, he will likely do a diagnostic lap.

I dont think you leg to foot/feet pain is related to the hyster, please consult a neurologist.

All the best and nice photo, maybe the high heels? LOL JK

I seriously wish you the best if you have any more direct questions or infor for me please get back w me and I will do my best.
C
Hello!  I too had a total hysterectomy.  I woke up screaming in pain...from my legs.  The nurse said it was from being in the stirrups with my knees pushed up to my armpits too long and would get better with time.  It has been 9 months and the pain is still there when I sit for too long and when I get up in the mornings.  My legs ache horribly  and burn by the end of the day, at first my viens in my legs would stick out grotesquely. That doesnt happen much any more.  That Dr told me he just doesnt know why im having all these problems.  I even have the lymph nodes in my groin swell if I sit too long.  I am convinced that the nurse post op was on to something.  Maybe ask your Dr. about the position you were in for the surgery.  May have caused nerve damage from being "pinched" off for too long
It's 2014 and I had a hysterectomy in June on a 23 hour Out-Patient watch. Immediately the following day my back and left hip hurt like hell. I told my head nurse first, then my doc that they must have had me in a circus position in the operating room for three hours because of my pain. The nurse said the doc forgets we've not young and pliable anymore (my age is 62). A week after my followup visit my female doc started me on an antibiotic that seemed to make things worst, but he said there was no collation between the pain and meds. I had back surgery in 2011 and had not totally recovered, but things were looking somewhat better before the hysterectomy. Now I feel as if my pain has taken a turn, and I'm starting all over in recovery. I am seeing a pain management doc for back pain and well as the new leg pain. I started using ice, now using a heating pad. It's now in the month of September. My back pain has now migrated almost entirely to my left hip. I have recontacted my back surgeon's office for new testing, but have yet to get orders or an appointment (taking too long). Prior to filling out the surgeon's priority registration, my pain management doc suggested "Warm Water Therapy", which I did for 7 treatments, then the therapist suggested I stop and find out the problem since my recovery time between sessions was too long and she felt too painful for me to continue. This pain has gone on too long. I haven't given up yet. I want to go walking again and work, but I can't when I'm thrown pain meds at the problem, can't walk or stand upright for long (bent over). I just tried laying down all day, doing nothing and this helped, however I've felt unproductive for far too long. I know they say you have to exercise/stretching and that's what I've done, but to no avail. Any suggestions?
There is so much cutting that is done with hysterectomy and nerves can become entrapped causing chronic pain. Sciatic nerve damage seems fairly common. The compromised pelvic integrity caused by the surgery also causes misalignment of the back, hips, and rib cage which causes problems but those tend to be more in the long-term.