Hysterectomy Community
Night Sweats 12 years after hysterectomy, no HRT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Why am I having night sweats 12 years after my complete hysterectomy?  The surgeon removed my uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and ovaries.  HRT was not recommended unless I had symptoms, which I did not.  So, 12 years later, I am having night sweats.  Could this be menopause?  Or is it more likely to be something else?  My Doctor says menopause but has not checked for anything else.  Are there any suggestions on what to check?
To put your mind at rest I would ask your doctor for a blood test, which could be screened for lymphoma, etc... When it comes back negative, you will feel easier about this. Also you could ask to be screened for T.B.
However, my honest opinion is that these sweats are caused by menopause. I had night sweats perimenopausally (since my late 30's actually) and I still get them now on occasion, and there is nothing else wrong with me. I also sometimes still get hot flashes, and it is a good 8 years since my periods stopped.
With some women, menopause symptoms do carry on for many years, but lessen as time goes by. Good luck!
Thank you for your comments.  I will ask for the blood tests - I may need to change doctors to get them though.  
My primary reason for concern is that the night sweats did not start until about 6 months ago.  I am now 55 so the timing would be right, it just doesn't feel right that they should start so long after the surgery and still be menopause.  Especially since I had no menopause symptoms at all before.  And, I soak the bed just about every night, not just once in a while.
Hi welcome to the forum.....When you had your complete hysterectomy you where thrust into a surgically induced menopause.

The symptoms of night sweats could be hormonally related....or not. It would make more sense to have had some symptoms years ago after surgery..(boy I did I sweat so bad just like you my gown and sheets would be drenched)

A hormone test is not going to be any help cause when they removed ovaries they removed hormone producer ( female atleast)
'
I agree with Ginger you need a complete check up. Your Dr should do a CBC and any other tests he thinks needed.

Changing Drs is often a good thing sometimes getting a new pair of eyes and a Dr not biased brings different and more helpful help.

I would not worry too much my mom has a saying " Don't borrow trouble" there are other things could be happening....many many women develp[ thyroid troubles post hyster and also at middle age....a simple blood test can check thyroid functioning.

doesnt help that we are in the middle of a heat wave ...get a nice big fan to put near the bed.

do you have any  fevers?

please let me know answers to my questions then I hope to give more advice.

hugs
Cherie
Hi Cherie - thanks for the input.

I've been working on finding another Doctor that I want to go see and have not found one on my medical plan yet that I like the sound of so I have an appointment with my existing.  Since she is Primary Care and I need referrals to Specialists, I can't go around her either.  The appt is on 8/3, we'll see how it goes.

Hmmm....middle age.  Not sure what that is any more but I am 55 so I guess I qualify, I'll make sure she does check the thyroid.

We are in a heat wave here in Florida, and that does mean hot.  But, if I get the bedroom any colder at night, my husband will probably demand separate rooms - it's already at 74 and he's under the covers I can't use.  Every night, around 2:30 to 3:00, I soak the bed with sweat.  It's a routine I would love to do without.

No, no fevers or any other symptoms I can think of.  Just doesn't feel right that I start having a menopause symptom so long after the hysterectomy.

Mary
Hi i also had a full hysterctomy 12 years ago when i was 50 i have been on HRT patches since then,
i  started having night sweats and was very warm all the time over 2 years ago i have been told by my doctor that you can still have menopausal symptoms even after a full hysterectomy, so hey ho
i take black cohosh it seems to help a bit

regards Shirley B