Hysterectomy Community
Not sure of right choice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Not sure of right choice

Hello, I am a 32 year old mom of 4 (3 boys 1 girl). I have been having irregulars periods all my life. Back in July of 2010, I had my tubes tied after having my daughter. Almost exactly a year later, (June 14 2011) I found out I was pregnant with my now 10 month old son. Since having my tubal, then getting pregnant, my periods have been insane. I bleed heavily and I double over in pain with cramps not only in my abdominal area but in my back, down the back of my legs and in my feet. Each period is worse than the last and it eventually got to the point that I called my doctor. Now, my doctor is wanting to do the Novasure procedure and I would much rather do the hysterectomy. My reason for wanting the hysterectomy is because, my uterus is extremely high up and is plastered to my scar tissue from my c sections, my uterus is also paper thin and I believe it is also attached to my stomach wall. I also have ovarian cysts which cause a lot of pain as well and one of my previous doctors told me I had endometriosis. However, all that being said, there is one small problem, my current insurance will not cover a hysterectomy but it will cover the Novasure procedure. I've been doing my research and I have read many reports that a lot of people have had the Novasure done and have had to back to the hospital any where between  24 hours later up to years later and they end up having complications and they have to get a hysterectomy done. I go to talk to my doctor on the 10 of Dec to see if we can decide what the best procedure would be. Any thoughts or helpful information would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know what the right choice is...I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids 2 of which are school age which leaves me with the younger ones by myself at home.
Boy, I sure can see why, with a uterus that damaged, you don't want to do a Novasure procedure.  Can't the doctor write it up in such a way that the insurance company will cover it and not treat it as merely elective?