Hysterectomy Community
One ovary and uterus removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

One ovary and uterus removed

What would be the reason behind the removal of the left ovary and the uterus due to one large and several smaller fibroids, but to leave the right ovary behind?  What are the benefits and problems associated with the remaining ovary?  Can eggs still be harvested for future use.  
Generally they leave the ovary because it still produces the hormones your body needs to sustain its self. I would assume the eggs could still be harvested, but I must admit, that I am so far past that stage in my life that I don't really give it any thought. I choose to have both my ovaries removed when I had my hysterectomy because many people who keep theirs do have to go back sometime in the future and have them removed and I just did not want to do that. The down side to having them both removed it that you do go into menepause and will need some form of hrt. It really is a personal choice.
You can harvest eggs from ovary but you won't be able to get pregnant if you have no uterus.  One ovary will continue to drip ormone for you for helping with osteoporosis in later years.  You need to discuss this with your surgeon.  It is not always a personal choice, if you have growths or cysts that could be or become cancerous its important to have them out, especially if you have relatives mother, aunt with history of ovarian cancer.  I am way past menopause and so left it up to my surgeon, who saw nothing wrong and left mine in there. Talk to your surgeon. Ask him all these things prior to surgery. It is your body.  However he can recommend whtat you do and why.
Madge