Hysterectomy Community
Ovaries to go or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Ovaries to go or not?

I am ready to schedule a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy due to fibroids and am okay with that but very undecided about whether to keep ovaries or have them removed. I am 47 years old. It is totally up to me whether they stay or go. Just trying to make the right decision for me.  I keep going back and forth. Can I hear from anyone who has had a hysterectomy....what decision they made on the ovaries and how they are doing now?
I had to make the same decision,,one ovary needed to come out but the other was healthy and could have been left..heres how I decided...plus side to keeping ovarie..you will have hormones (most likely many times when uterus is removed it screw hormones up)    the down side if you keep you ovaries and shoule ever develpo ovarian cancer it would likely be a death sentance as its already so vey hard to detect.post hysterectomy its that much harder,,,,,you are 47 your gonna be menopasual soon anyways Id let them take them out if it was me..which was the decision i made Im 46 I now use estrogen replacement a vivelle dot patch very easy and accurate..no hot flashes no crazy  normal sex drive....if you was in you 20s it may be different ..I strongly advise you to remove them ..and never ever have to worry about ovarian cancer.
Hi AnitL,

I had a hysterectomy and removal of my ovaries in Jan of 2008. I sincerely wish I could have left at least one ovary. My maternal Grandmother died from ovarian cancer. Even knowing that I wish saving my ovaries had been possible. IMHO if your ovaries are healthy keep them! It has taken quite a while to start to feel like myself again. I do use an estrogen patch.

Have you read Screaming to be Heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet? I highly recommend it! Take the time and research your options and discuss with your doctor what is right for you.

Take Care,

Teresa

Thank you to both of you for your sharing your info. I am going to keep on doing my research but pretty positive I will be keeping my ovaries.
I'm 54 yrs. old and almost finished with menopause. Have a prolapsed uterus and need a hysterectomy. It will be done with the da Vinci robotics. My mother died from breast cancer and I don't know whether or not I should keep my ovaries. Need advice.