Hysterectomy Community
Over Active Bladder after Hysterectomy and Bladder sling surgeries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

My mother had a hysterectomy for uterine cancer five weeks ago. They also did the bladder sling procedure because of a prolapse. She developed a serious infection around the sling procedure and was treated with antibiotics. She also developed an over active bladder. The urogynecologist said there is no fistula, but rather her bladder has become over active because of the hysterectomy and the sling procedure. She also said that it is a temporary condition, but put her on Detrol. Her condition had not improved. In fact, it seems to be worse.
Has anyone else developed an over active bladder after a hysterectomy?
I think I read that it is common....I would check into the side effects of detrol too...I can't remember what it was but I know I made them take my husband off that stuff....I think as she heels over time it would get better. I had cystocel rectocel and vaginal repair 4 weeks ago today....I am so much better than before I cannot tell you....I had prolapse.
I had the sling and hyterectomy also.  I have overactive bladder also.  I am having problems with the sling.  Pain and I really feel like I want to rip it out somedays.  Depending on the chair and how long I sit.  My urethea area falls asleep.  Tingling sensations that last for several minutes and spasms.  The sling may be to tight.  I don't want to go through surgery again.  The Dr wanted to loosen it up.  I don't think that is the answer.

DebLR
I am having my hysterectomy next week but had the bladder surgery over 4 years ago and it took a while (maybe 2 months) for the discomfort to go away, it seemed I was aware of it all the time and felt like I had to go more often but then one day it seemed to have stopped.  My best friend had a hysterectomy on July 1st of this year along with the sling and is still having minor issues with it.  That being said you should probably call her doctor and ask how long it should last and if there are any tests, maybe an ultrasound, to check if it is placed correctly.  

Good luck!
I had a full historectomy don in octover 2011 and I to  develop over actve blader with tingling sensation and burning it donsent go away and it has made my life misible if I nown that cut of happend I will never have the surgery don my obg put me on ober active blader med but it seems like I have side efects to it I dont know what to do please sombothy with same problem I need advice thanks and God Bless