Hysterectomy Community
Pain after Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Pain after Hysterectomy

I had a partial Hysterectomy and two weeks after I've been having alot of pain on the leftside of my abdomen and my back. The pain doesn't go away even with narcotic medicines and the doctor says everything looks fine. Also when i get up and start walking the pain gets worse and worse. The only time it doesn't hurt that much is when I'm laying down. Also I feel on my left leg because the pain is so bad. Need answers please.
I had a partial too...and had a lot of pain after...they did ultrasounds and all kinds of tests to make sure there wasn't a complication from the surgery.  Mine turned out to be shingles for the 2nd time...but I have a compromised immune system.  Definitely contact  your Dr.
okay thank you
Hi, I hope to help you some

First pain is very normal and to be expected for 6 weeks, it does get better each and every week.

what position are you sleeping in? You should be on back, if its not what your used to its still the best recommendation especially for first 4 weeks, side or belly sleeping will cause symptoms you describe.
Walking is good, steps are not, not this soon. Also is very very important that you kinda do nothing. No lifting, excessive bending. no housework, vaccuming is especially bad. You need to let others do chores for atleast a month, the best thing you can do for self is rest, be a couch potatoe.

There are a lot of pain meds, what works for one person doesnt work for another. Are you moving bowels? could account for back and side pain if not. narcotics will always bind anyone up. speak with your Dr and ask for stool softner (NO LAXATIVES way to harsh)

Have Dr check your sciatic nerve, could be cause of leg and maybe side pain, its quite common for this nerve to hurt post operation, the way to test it is a electrode test rather like a ekg.

I know its rather hard to do nothing, I have been there done that had my hyster in 05, one day 2 weeks after I simply folded a basket of towels and it sent me into agony, You have a hollow in your abdomen that is being filled with fat and muscle tissue, this could account for back pain also. And the body is a odd thing sometimes pain radiates to areas not expected, like you would expect abdomen to hurt. ( Im sure it does anyways)

You may want to mention gallbladder to Dr. its common when hormones go up and down for gallstones to develop, a ultrsound will rule this out.

You need not suffer nor does anyone deserve to, insist on a different painmed.

feel better, please post answer here or if you would like to speak in private you are very welcomed to PM me

Cherie
thank you very much cherie
     Hi, the position that i have been sleeping in lately is on my back, when i had my surgery it was not a big opening inside my stomach.The doctor had only made 4 wholes into my stomach, the doctor told me that i can go back to work in 10 days.When i went to my check up, 8 days after the surgery he told me that if i went back to work already, and i said no.But the doctor said that i should of gone back to work 8 days after the surgery, I asked him if i should be on light duty and the doctor said no.But, when i start working that's when i got the pain on my left side of the abdomen and my whole back and i went back to the doctor and he said nothing is wrong with me, so he ordered CT scan of my abdomen and pelvic.I have not been really caring things at work but i have been just working a lot, but at home i bend down sometimes and carry somethings but not that heavy.Hope you answer back, Thank you

so you had a laproscopic surgery,,I very strongly disagree with Dr Ive heard so many cases 99% Drs say 6 weeks off, 4 minimual then job must be a desk job. Im pretty sure this may be source of pain..try icepack too forgot to mention that, Heat is really bad, increses swelling, and blood flow to nerves thus increasespain...icepack on 15 min only off 15 min,,,

I would urge you to get another drs opinion,,,sorry but in my strong opinion your Dr is giving you very bad advice. Go with your gut your instincts,,they are usually right I got a feeling you know its too soon to work..Rest rest and more rest will speed up healing,
thank you very much cherie i will start using ice packs tomm see if it can lower the pain
It should help some, put a barrier between abdomen/back whatever and skin a thin terry wahcloth is ideal.